Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

'90 4runner Blown Head Gasket

Search this Thread

Old 03-14-2004, 11:13 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
'90 4runner Blown Head Gasket

Hey guys,
Im a new member and an avid toyota fan. I need some help. I blew a head gasket (V6 automatic '90 4x4 4-runner). I heard that that year had problems with blown head gaskets and that Toyota was replacing them. Does anybody have any info on this subject? It would be really helpful!

Also ...
I'm looking for a member on here. His name is Brian and he was our youth leader at Camp Lee in Alabama. He had an awesome 4Runner (black, 3rd gen, 33" Wrangler, 3-4" suspension). If you know him or if Brian himself sees this please respond.

Thanks
Old 03-14-2004, 12:13 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by MxPx_Reaver
Hey guys,
Im a new member and an avid toyota fan. I need some help. I blew a head gasket (V6 automatic '90 4x4 4-runner). I heard that that year had problems with blown head gaskets and that Toyota was replacing them. Does anybody have any info on this subject? It would be really helpful!

Also ...
I'm looking for a member on here. His name is Brian and he was our youth leader at Camp Lee in Alabama. He had an awesome 4Runner (black, 3rd gen, 33" Wrangler, 3-4" suspension). If you know him or if Brian himself sees this please respond.

Thanks
Call Toyota's 1 800 number and give them your VIN. They will tell you if it was elligible, has been done, or is still 'open', which is what you want to hear. Only part of '90 was covered..latter half.

As for "Brian", I think you're looking for Waskillywabbit...check the members section to sen him a message.
Good luck with your head gasket!
Old 03-15-2004, 07:13 AM

I just had my 2nd HG Repair.
First was during recall, done back in 1996.
This one cost me $1732.00 at dealership. Included all new belts.
Have them check your vin.
If you have time, patience, and skill you might want to fix yourself.
I think the HG repair kit was around $425.00
I would like to know if their is any correlation between repeated head gasket failure and not using Toyota red coolant?
I used Toyota coolant up until 20 months ago when I had a new radiator installed. They used green coolant.

1994 V6 4Runner - 131,000
I had the truck for 10yrs this April.
Old 03-15-2004, 07:18 AM

i called the # and they said that HG recall expires at 8years 100k miles. but some people say the dealers will still do it for the money from toyota. i guess you just have to find a corrupt dealer. shouldnt be too hard lol
Old 03-15-2004, 08:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by madmaniac
i called the # and they said that HG recall expires at 8years 100k miles. but some people say the dealers will still do it for the money from toyota. i guess you just have to find a corrupt dealer. shouldnt be too hard lol
I'm not sure that a 'corrupt dealer' is the answer here. I'm almost positive that there were two, seperate campaigns regarding the 3.0
In the first campaign, applied to late 80's to early 1991's, the campaign has expired...8 year limit.

WRT mid 91's to mid '95, a totally different campaign (V06) is still open. Unlimited miles, years, owners. My source for this info is my own experience. Early this year I got the long block from Toyota for $0.00. I was the 4th owner, 120,000 miles, with a used engine donated from a 1990 4runner. The dealer tried just about everything (including block sealer?!?!?!) to avoid replacing that engine, but after 3 head gasket sets they did it. Probably just to get their rental back, which I was puting about 1000 miles a week on, for about 5 weeks. That, and having to deal with a customer who was well-informed about the campaign...right down to the warp tolerance for block warpage (.039)

For anyone who is still elligilble, but not yet leaking, make sure Toyota knows you are the registered owner...you can be updated on the status of the campaign. And keep astralplane's experience in mind...once they do it, expect it will blow again. Toyota does NOT replace the bolts, which pretty much ensures the block will fail, sooner than later.
So, if you're elligible, and not yet blown, wait until you are, and hope for the long block!

Update: I just got off the phone with Toyota Canada. Thee ARE two campaigns 802 which applies to v6's from late 80's to early 1990 (1991 production year) AND 802 CS, which applies to mid 91's to mid 94's (early 1995 production year). I imagine these are called V06 and V06CS in the USA.

Campaign 802 (USA = V06)IS expired...8 years.
Campaign 802 CS (USA = V06CS) is still wide-open. Service Date is still "0", which means no time limit, at this point.
This info is current as of this date....I just got off the phone with the lovely lady at Toyota, who confirmed MY '91 is still elligible

Last edited by Blair; 03-15-2004 at 08:55 AM.
Old 03-15-2004, 01:02 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
I had mine done in 1996 and it is still good 8 years later. I heard that when they first started replacing the headgaskets, the replacements were just a bad and a little later Toyota corrected that problem. I have a good one.
Old 03-15-2004, 10:34 PM

blair, or anyone else...
do you guys know the exact month of the 'early 95 production' affected trucks? or even the affected vins?

mine was built feb 95, and im having symptoms related to a leaking head gasket.

i called toyota hq years ago, when i didnt have a problem and they said i wasnt affected. i havnt called them since the problems showed up, im just waiting for the problem to get worse.

thanks
Old 03-16-2004, 05:39 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by hellas
blair, or anyone else...
do you guys know the exact month of the 'early 95 production' affected trucks? or even the affected vins?

mine was built feb 95, and im having symptoms related to a leaking head gasket.

i called toyota hq years ago, when i didnt have a problem and they said i wasnt affected. i havnt called them since the problems showed up, im just waiting for the problem to get worse.

thanks
The person I spoke with yesterday refered to a production date of May 1994, which is actually early 1995 model year. Your production date appears to be beyond the campaign limits. However, there are a large number of people beyond the cutoff date who have formed groups bringing class-action suits against Toyota. Mostly because they are having similar problems with later models that Toyota is addressing in earlier models, such as Campaign V06. Check out http://www.thecomplaintstation.com and go to the Toyota section (http://www.thecomplaintstation.com/c...finalrecord=14). Many, many others are very disapointed in the treatment they are getting from Toyota. Some, such as the Lexus owners, have received some satisfaction...Toyota has replaced many engines, provided the owner can produce evidence of at least ONE oil change per year. Seems there was a "sludge" problem with THAT 3.0

Check it out, there may be some relief in it for you. And Good Luck!

Last edited by Blair; 03-16-2004 at 05:44 AM.