Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

85 engine problems ...

Search this Thread

Old 11-07-2004, 06:34 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 85 engine problems ...

I've got an 85 factory auto mini truck. I just got back from tellico were it did great and give us no problems. But when I tried to start it to unload it would only turn over.
It was fine when I hooked it up to the tow bar but now it won't start, I've got spark but it's red or orange instead of blue and no fuel in the cyclinders, the pump is running but it sounds like its got fuel running back into the tank like the pick-up fell off.
Any suggestions, any idea how to test the ECU to see if it is working telling the injectors to fire? I got it running to get it up the driveway with some starting fluid and a friend walking beside it spraying the whole way up.
Any ideas, hints etc would be great,
Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-07-2004, 06:58 PM
Contributing Member

If starting fluid worked then at least you know you have a fuel delivery problem. Before you do too much, check the plugs for the electrical connections on the passenger side inner fender, I forget what the part is, but there is a metal box next to the fuse box and it has something to do with fuel delivery. If one of the connectors is loose or off the engine will turn over but not start. Hope that is it, it's an easy fix but tough to track down.

Originally Posted by superpile
I've got an 85 factory auto mini truck. I just got back from tellico were it did great and give us no problems. But when I tried to start it to unload it would only turn over.
It was fine when I hooked it up to the tow bar but now it won't start, I've got spark but it's red or orange instead of blue and no fuel in the cyclinders, the pump is running but it sounds like its got fuel running back into the tank like the pick-up fell off.
Any suggestions, any idea how to test the ECU to see if it is working telling the injectors to fire? I got it running to get it up the driveway with some starting fluid and a friend walking beside it spraying the whole way up.
Any ideas, hints etc would be great,
Thanks,
Eric
Old 11-08-2004, 09:38 PM

Originally Posted by MNBOY
If starting fluid worked then at least you know you have a fuel delivery problem. Before you do too much, check the plugs for the electrical connections on the passenger side inner fender, I forget what the part is, but there is a metal box next to the fuse box and it has something to do with fuel delivery. If one of the connectors is loose or off the engine will turn over but not start. Hope that is it, it's an easy fix but tough to track down.
Thanks for the input, I'll check that tomorrow. I think the computer isn't working, do you know anywhere good to get another one or maybe get my checked? I believe the pump is working but the injectors are not getting any signal to open. maybe the ecu lost a ground or is just dead. Either way I've got fuel in the engine just not out the injectors.