Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5vzfe 3.4 Over heated! Warped heads!

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2011, 04:03 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5vzfe 3.4 Over heated! Warped heads!

I put a hole in radiator changing power steering pump and replaced with a new radiator. Filled full of coolant and drove down the driveway and back, about 1500 feet down hill and back. I noticed the temp gauge going into the red danger zone. Got a rag and pulled the cap, and the coolant was low! So I topped it off and started the truck and let it run ( cap off). The coolant level dropped below the fins in the radiator, so I continued to fill it up! after two gallons of coolant disappering, i shut the motor off and pulled the oil filler cap to find the dreded milkshake,All the coolant was going into the oil. Blown head gasket right? So i pulled all the spark plugs to see what cylinder was getting coolant in it, no coolant in any cyclinder! All cylinders had great compression, no white smoke out tail pipe. So I pulled the heads off, no blown head gaskets, no steam cleaning in any cylinder, no oil in Coolant? wtf right? I take the heads in to the machine shop and he calls and tells me warped heads 0.002-0.003 thousands, no cracks, cleaned and resurfaced heads. Now Im still concerned and want to know what else to check i.e. striaght edge deck of block for warpage, cracked block, and so on, before I put this thing back together! Any and all comments welcome.
Old 12-22-2011, 04:49 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Crazy that you replaced the radiator and then, bang, the head goes. You had not moved the coolant lines that go into the throttle body and re-reouted it into the valve cover by mistake?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by rworegon
Crazy that you replaced the radiator and then, bang, the head goes. You had not moved the coolant lines that go into the throttle body and re-reouted it into the valve cover by mistake?
LOL, no I did not! I have had the entire intake off a few times as this motor is swapped into my 89 extracab that was a 3.slow. Though it seems the coolant was draining into the motor about as fast as if that were so, lol.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:44 PM

My main questions are: Should I pull the block apart and have it tanked and checked for cracks/ rebuilt even though its an 2002 with less than 75,000 miles?
Has anyone warped cracked head or block on one of these 5vzfe? searched with very few results.
Just looking for some input!
Old 12-22-2011, 05:49 PM

I purchased a rolled taco and put the motor with 186,000 miles in it for new years wheelin trip, I just want my lower milage (warped head) motor fixxed for when this unknown motor goes to rest.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Do you think one on the gaskets under the lower manifold (part 17177) failed allowing coolant to get to the head that way?
Old 12-22-2011, 05:56 PM
Contributing Member

That much coolant soaking the bearings and other internals is not a good thing. I have not heard of a brief overheat causing a cracked block on these engines, not to say that it can't happen. I'm thinking something failed causing the the overheat as the engine ingested the coolant. Was it idling wierd as the coolant was disappearing?

I'd pull the block and have it inspected.

No block issues here on this overheat due to WP failure:
http://www.ultimateyota.com/index.ph...6&topic=2241.0

Last edited by rworegon; 12-22-2011 at 07:11 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 05:58 PM

Idk, I know the allenhead head bolt on the right bank was loose and that a water jacket runs close to a oil drainage port. i just rechecked the message from the machine shop and he said the heads were severly warped 0.0015 thousandths MAX, and he said he cleaned pressure tested resufaced and all the valvetrain still looked new
Old 12-22-2011, 06:01 PM

the motor ran perfect no stumbling, smoke of anykind, and I shut it down as soon as i seen the coolant disapearing as i was filling the rad. I did not run it long enough to damage bearings in the bottom end
Old 12-22-2011, 06:03 PM

is there any way water can go into the oil from the water pump failing? cause there was no water coming from the weap hole on wp or any other external leak
Old 12-22-2011, 06:12 PM

Just thought id add that the oil cooler thing or whatever on the driverside of block was pressure tested and still good no leaks, and that the coolant tested clean for oil.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:19 PM
Contributing Member

And, I'm sure you promptly drained the water/coolant mix from the block?

Post 44 shows the front with WP off.....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/u...44/index2.html

Nothing obvious to me how oil/water could mix here.

It's crazy that you had no smoke......it seems that the coolant had to be bypassing the cylinder and getting pushed straight into a oil galley or through a crack in the block somewhere/somehow....

Last edited by rworegon; 12-22-2011 at 06:22 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:24 PM

I was reading that link you just posted, and about that air pocket in the cooling system? I think that could have been the culprit. Would that amount to overheating and warping the heads that fast? input?
Old 12-22-2011, 06:32 PM

And, I'm sure you promptly drained the water/coolant mix from the block?

Post 44 shows the front with WP off.....
https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/u...44/index2.html

Nothing obvious to me how oil/water could mix here.

It's crazy that you had no smoke......it seems that the coolant had to be bypassing the cylinder and getting pushed straight into a oil galley or through a crack in the block somewhere/somehow....
Yes i drained the oil water i had the whole motor out and heads off in a couple hours after it happened, I know its so wierd were it was coming from! I guess ill have to take the block into the machine shop and have it tanked and checked for cracks/ warpage etc. what a nightmare!
Old 12-22-2011, 06:40 PM
Contributing Member

Well, there certainly been other threads 'round here on overheating (or nearly so) and after they got all the air pockets out and all the coolant in, the overheating stopped. It seems that the aluminum heads don't take much to warp sometimes especially if they've been overheated in the past. Cumulative damage?

The little bit of overheating you had likely did not hurt the block any.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:43 PM

if it turns out to cracked block, im gonna be in the market for a good block or complete motor that can be rebuilt as i have a rebuild kit and new heads waiting for one now. i live in southern oregon if any knows of one or an entire totaled rig being parted out
Old 12-22-2011, 06:48 PM

Well, there certainly been other threads 'round here on overheating (or nearly so) and after they got all the air pockets out and all the coolant in, the overheating stopped. It seems that the aluminum heads don't take much to warp sometimes especially if they've been overheated in the past. Cumulative damage?

The little bit of overheating you had likely did not hurt the block any.
I hope your right on the block not being cracked, and yes it was to late for trying to get all the air pockets out, warped heads lol! Atleast i can keep a sence of humur through this.
Old 12-22-2011, 06:52 PM
Contributing Member

You might check with member DeathCougar as he works at Nix99 up in Washington, an auto dismantler....he may know of something.
https://www.yotatech.com/members/1023.html

BTW, hi from north central Oregon.

Last edited by rworegon; 12-22-2011 at 07:04 PM.
Old 12-22-2011, 07:00 PM

You might check with member DeathCougar as he works at Nix99 up in Washington, a auto dismantler....he may know of something.
https://www.yotatech.com/members/1023.html

BTW, hi from north central Oregon.
thanks for info, and hello from southern oregon!
Old 12-22-2011, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Post up where this ends up. I'm curious what you find with the block.

Quick Reply: 5vzfe 3.4 Over heated! Warped heads!