Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5speed swap on 3rd gen runner

Old 01-31-2005, 05:46 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5speed swap on 3rd gen runner

Alright... Every car i've had up until the runner has been a 5 speed. I HATE driving this damn auto. I have decided that a 5speed swap is NEXT on my list.

Has any one done a 5speed swap on a 3rd gen ? I Searched but I didnt turn much up. Im guessing the Tacos and 4R share the same tranny... and im HOPING the transfer case will bolt to each tranny the same. Aside from that, does any one know about the drive shafts ? im guessing they are diffrent from a manual to a auto.... Any insite you guys can give me on this would help a ton. Im gonna start buying up parts and hopfully I cant get ahold of every thing I need before I start and have to do MINIMUL fab work...

There will be a good write up on it when im done.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:01 PM
Contributing Member

The t100s with the 3.4 were manuals, I don't think too much will be required. I think the drive shafts are the same length. You may have to use the crossmember from the t100 and drill new holes. OR you could swap in the six speed from the new tacomas and be my hero......your call
Old 01-31-2005, 06:32 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
i don't have any idea if the 6 speed bolt pattern is the same front or back as any current toy tranny...i'd love to find out though.

it's us 4 banger guys that really need that one, has a deeper 1st gear and 4th is right about between 3rd and 4th on one of our typical 5 speeds.
Old 01-31-2005, 06:47 PM
Contributing Member

I hear the flywheels are different, might want to check on that.

Personally, if I was in your shoes, I would just seek out a 5-speed and sell my Auto. Oh wait, that's exactly what I did!

Nothing wrong with taking on a cool project, but when all is said and done, I just dont see the point on going through that much work if you dont have to. The 5-speeds are out there, it just takes a little time to find one.

That's my vote!
Old 01-31-2005, 07:39 PM
Banned

Location: OmG, Hi2U !!! .... DANG, my chic's got some SEXY eyes.... among other things. WOOT WOOT !!
well I looked for a 5 speed for several months before i bought this one... nothing met my criteria.... this one had every thing I wanted, plus a few grand in extras by now... not to mention A friend of mine whos a dealer got me an extremely good price on it.....

Im more inclined to jsut swap it over... I like the truck, jsut not the trans.
Old 01-31-2005, 07:49 PM
Contributing Member

just do the junkyard thing, find it, get it rebuilt if you want. I'd get someone with a 5spd in their 3rd gen to take a pic of the under carriage to see if you can see and mounting differences. The wiring should be easy. Good luck and keep us updated!
Old 01-31-2005, 08:01 PM
Contributing Member

Too bad you're not a little closer, else we could trade trannies. I drive quite a bit for work and wouldn't mind an auto.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:09 PM

I don't know about the 4Runner, but some models of cars available with either a manual, or auto tranny, use a different ECU, even if they have the same engine.

That might be something to check beforehand. It could be a lot more involved than it would appear.

Good luck.
Old 01-31-2005, 08:13 PM
Contributing Member

I think the 4runner uses a separate ecu for the tranny.
Old 01-31-2005, 09:32 PM
Banned

ive done a manual swap on a 240sx, a prelude, and a XJ. Hopfully this wont be any worse. The prelude was a nightmare.... wrong wheel drive peice of junk.

Kesiur is pretty close to me right now, so when he gets back in town im gonna scour of his rig for a few hours and make some notes.

I'll start a fab Thread once I get started.
Old 01-31-2005, 10:04 PM
Contributing Member

There are some rumors that automatic flywheels don't have the hole for the pilot bearing. For the rest I would think that it is mounting pedals, clutch master cylinder, find interior center console around the shifter and a trannie transfercase combo. Drive shaft length is a question, and you might have a different engine wiringharness. The 4wd switches are included in the engine wiring harness, and I am not sure what about the auto wiringharness.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:24 AM
Banned

i doubt very seriously there are diffrent engine wireing harnesses. that would be to costly for toyota on the MFG end to build two of every thing. In most cases you'll find there is one with provisions for both a manual and auto tranny.

as for the flywheel...

an automatic dosn't use a flywheel, so I have to get one of thos any way.
Old 02-01-2005, 07:47 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Stegall984R
an automatic dosn't use a flywheel, so I have to get one of thos any way.
Well, that's sort of true. It uses a flex plate in front of the TQ convertor. Like this:

While I cannot say that 5VZ-powered Auto's have the EXACT same thing, surely there is something there for the starter gear to spin.

That is what we were talking about.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:16 AM
Contributing Member

junglecode has some info on his site about it: http://www.junglecode.com/toyota/tacoma/transmission/

it couldnt be too hard since the 4runner came with a 5 speed. the crankshaft IS drilled.
Old 02-01-2005, 08:40 AM

Originally Posted by Stegall984R
ive done a manual swap on a 240sx, a prelude, and a XJ. Hopfully this wont be any worse. The prelude was a nightmare.... wrong wheel drive peice of junk.

Kesiur is pretty close to me right now, so when he gets back in town im gonna scour of his rig for a few hours and make some notes.

I'll start a fab Thread once I get started.
sounds like you have it down. i cant see it being that hard. just gather the parts and slap her in there. all the bilt holes should be there for the crossmember and the plugs for the trany should plug in to your wiring harness.
Old 02-01-2005, 11:46 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by <96 Runner>
Well, that's sort of true. It uses a flex plate in front of the TQ convertor.

That is what we were talking about.

I wasn't sure if thats what arjan was refering to or not, but yeah I knew it had a flex plate. Alot of times on an auto the crank will have a big bushing pressed into it inplace of a pilot bearing. that obvsialy has to be removed before you can use the pilot bearing... maybe thats what Arjan was talking about...

As far as the swap and fab work, sofar the biggest problem I cna find is the auto firewall isnt pre drilled for a clutch master cylinder and pedel setup. that will be fun.....
Old 02-01-2005, 01:14 PM

Talk to Mike at Off-Road Solutions, he was the first one to inform me that some random late-model 3.4's w/auto do not have a machined surface for a pilot-bearing. I know of one guy who tried to swap a previously auto 3.4 into an older 3.0 5-speed truck and couldn't because of this. As long as it's machined for the pilot-bearing the swap is actually simple. The auto ECU will work with the 5-speed but not the other way around. However if you live in a state that requires emissions testing you will need the proper ECU from a 5-speed 4Runner since with the auto ECU the check-engine light will come on because the ECU can't find the tranny.

Good luck!
Old 02-01-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

My bad, I meant the hole in the crankshaft for the pilot bearing. I wasn't too sharp last night, tried anyway. Thanks for the correction.
Old 02-01-2005, 06:02 PM
Banned

hmm

That kinda puts a damper on my plans... theres no good easy way to get that hole for the pilot bearing machined into the crank w/o taking the engine apart... dang.

How do I get ahold of mike ? It isnt the same mike at Extreme Offorad is it ?
Old 02-01-2005, 08:32 PM
Contributing Member

my auto and everyone ive seen do the swap had drilled crankshafts.

Search this Thread
Quick Reply: 5speed swap on 3rd gen runner