Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

5 Questions about 85 4 Runner

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2004, 05:31 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
5 Questions about 85 4 Runner

The purchase: 1985 4 Runner 22-REC engine, 4WD, manual 5 speed, 150k. Used on a farm part time. It has an immaculate interior.

a. Vehicle is in need of possible heater components, not to warm in the vehicle.
b. Minor rust, not extensive but definately there.
c. Cracked windshield, not to bad but still evident
d. In need of a tune up and some other possible engine components like a rebuild kit.
e. Leaks about 1 quart of oil a month
f. Tow hitch has been torn from back of vehicle, which was used to attempt to pull large equipment and was unsuccesful.
g. Extreme dust conditions have made the automatic window in back stick, and windows stick, they however still function but the rear door will not open because of dust.
h. brake work needed and maybe shocks and struts replaced

Asking price $1495

Question 1:

If this were your vehicle what are some first upgrades you would consider doing? This is my first project vehicle and I want to keep it.

Question 2:

Where could I get a parts or entire vehicle upgrade catalog or find a good website?

Question 3:

If this were your vehicle what are some first upgrades you would consider doing? This is my first project vehicle and I want to keep it.

Question 4:

How would I go about reparing the rust? There is some minor rust on the wheel wells and some blotches in other places.

Question 5:

Any questions that I didn't ask that I should have?

Thanks guys I'll be sure to post a picture in the near future.
Report Post | IP: Logged
Old 11-13-2004, 10:21 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Talking

Originally Posted by kermit

Question 1:

Question 2:

Where could I get a parts or entire vehicle upgrade catalog or find a good website?

Question 3:

Question 4:

How would I go about reparing the rust? There is some minor rust on the wheel wells and some blotches in other places.

Question 5:

Any questions that I didn't ask that I should have?

Thanks guys I'll be sure to post a picture in the near future.
Report Post | IP: Logged
1 and 3 ask the same thing.
*Get it where it runs reliably and doesn't use any oil.
*Trim fenders of rust and sand down rust spots on body and coat with rust inhibitive paint for the time being until you can paint the whole thing.
*Get a Factory Service Manual for the 85 on Ebay for about $80 and forget the Haynes/Chilton manuals.

Good luck...I'm building up an 85 too!

Old 11-13-2004, 03:16 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
as for upgrades, here's a few good places on the net:

www.lcengineering.com
www.marlincrawler.com
www.sky-manufacturing.com
www.jtoutfitters.com
Old 11-13-2004, 03:25 PM
Contributing Member

you may want to check out 4crawler.com also. he owns a sweet 85 and has some pretty cool mods on it, not to mention tech writeups coming out the wazoo!

lee
Old 11-13-2004, 05:31 PM

I wrote the 4crawler guy earlier and we talked about what I should focus on.

1: Get the vehicle into good running order. I'm going to take it to a mechanic and have them look at it and just get their feedback, don't necessarily take their word on everything.

2: Get a good rust protector. I'm wondering if there is some type of clear-coat rust protector that I can put on the whole car, on top of the paint it already has. I'm not going to paint it for at least 2 years, I don't have the equipment and am not planning on having it done by a shop.