Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4WD sometimes won't engage

Old 03-18-2005, 08:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD sometimes won't engage

Hello,

I've searched this forum and a couple of others but I haven't found any definitive answers on this.

I have a 2000 4Runner (3.4L, 4WD, 5-speed manual). Every once in a while, when I try to shift into 4WD, the 4WD indicator on the dash won't go on, so I'm assuming that I'm still in 2WD. Also when this happens, I don't notice any binding when turning. So if I flick the 4WD lever off and then on I notice sometimes that there is some sort of repeating clicking sound coming from near the glove box. Sometimes the clicking will go on for a few seconds and then stop when the 4WD indicator light comes on. Almost like it's trying and trying to engage 4WD.

When everything is working, I do notice that when it does engage 4WD normally, there will usually be one click.

Of course, when I bring it to the dealer (I'm still under warranty), the problem never shows up. I did have the dealer document the problem but I would really like to get this fixed. I'd hate to need 4WD and not be able to engage it.

I'm not that mechanically inclined so comments or suggestions that I could take with me to the dealer would be the most helpful.

Thanks!!
Old 03-18-2005, 09:30 AM

I had a problem with my system over the past few weeks. I have a 2002 SR5 4Runner. I pushed the T-case button to engage 4WD, the dash indicator blinked and never went solid. The front wheels never engaged and the blinking indicator never went away.

For about three weeks this continued. Every time I started the truck, the indicator would be blinking and 4WD never engaged. Depressing the T-case button did nothing.

I checked the vacuum lines as was suggested here, and everything looked fine. Continuity of the switch was fine.

I was ready to pull the T-case actuator thinking that the engagement fork was bound, when the problem fixed itself.

I got in the truck the other morning, started it up, and turned off ECT.

Turned off the ignition, and upon restart, 4WD was engaged and everything was fine.

I could now engage and disengage 4WD at will, without any problems what so ever.

My belief is that having ECT on when you engage 4WD causes a problem with the 4WD/Trans ECU - somehow it gets confused.

My truck is fine, I haven't tried to duplicate the problem (engaging 4WD with ECT on) because I'm still happy to have things working correctly again. This weekend I'll be more inquisitive.

Maybe this will help.
Old 03-18-2005, 11:36 AM

Thanks Sparman. However I'm not sure our 4WD systems are the same. My 4Runner doesn't have a 4WD button but rather a lever instead. And the 4WD indicator never blinks, it just lights up. My 4Runner is the part time 4WD system. But thanks for your input.
Old 03-20-2005, 06:59 PM

I'm going to try to see if I can get the dealer to look at it. Any suggestions/advice/comments before I call the dealer?
Old 03-21-2005, 12:37 PM

Anybody?
Old 01-13-2007, 11:50 PM

Delayed 4wd engagement

I have issues with my 02 4runner. I would drive about 55 mph on a straight road and press the 4wd push button and the indicator light would keep blinking. I would try to tap on the break and or accelerate and nothing would happen. After driving for a mile then it would come on. Normally it would shift after I let off the gas. Has anybody figured out this problem?
Old 01-14-2007, 06:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by 4runner02
I have issues with my 02 4runner. I would drive about 55 mph on a straight road and press the 4wd push button and the indicator light would keep blinking. I would try to tap on the break and or accelerate and nothing would happen. After driving for a mile then it would come on. Normally it would shift after I let off the gas. Has anybody figured out this problem?
My 2000 4Runner has been doing the same thing. The indicator just blinks for a while, then will finally engage after an undetermined amout of time or will take toggling the switch a few times. I am not that concerned about the unlock center diff 4WD system, if the actually 4WD system was not engaging I'd be nervous (actually pulling the lever back).
Old 01-15-2007, 09:21 AM

Frisco, I have a '99 5spd that is doing the same thing... Did you ever get it diagnosed at the dealer ??

S.
Old 01-15-2007, 10:47 AM

Have you guys tried tapping on the brakes while trying to engage? I tap on the brakes and it will sometimes engage quicker.
Old 01-15-2007, 11:22 AM

No, haven't tried that. Wonder how, or if, that would effect 4wd engagement? But I will try it next time to see if it works.

Thanks,

S.
Old 01-15-2007, 02:44 PM

Let me know if that helped SpikeStrip.
Old 12-12-2016, 07:13 AM

Smile A Possible Fix that Worked for Me!

Originally Posted by Sparman
I had a problem with my system over the past few weeks. I have a 2002 SR5 4Runner. I pushed the T-case button to engage 4WD, the dash indicator blinked and never went solid. The front wheels never engaged and the blinking indicator never went away.

For about three weeks this continued. Every time I started the truck, the indicator would be blinking and 4WD never engaged. Depressing the T-case button did nothing.

I checked the vacuum lines as was suggested here, and everything looked fine. Continuity of the switch was fine.

I was ready to pull the T-case actuator thinking that the engagement fork was bound, when the problem fixed itself.

I got in the truck the other morning, started it up, and turned off ECT.

Turned off the ignition, and upon restart, 4WD was engaged and everything was fine.

I could now engage and disengage 4WD at will, without any problems what so ever.

My belief is that having ECT on when you engage 4WD causes a problem with the 4WD/Trans ECU - somehow it gets confused.

My truck is fine, I haven't tried to duplicate the problem (engaging 4WD with ECT on) because I'm still happy to have things working correctly again. This weekend I'll be more inquisitive.

Maybe this will help.

Thanks for the post. Let me relay my previous problem which was one in which the light for 4 WD flashed but never engaged. A gal posted a video and I followed her instructions attempting to remove the switch on the transfer case to clean it. I needed a deep well 27 mm socket so I couldn't remove it. However, I pulled off the connector and liberally sprayed it and the switch's terminals with contact cleaner.

This didn't appear to work but about two week later it started working. This lasted a while and then the same story. I re-cleaned as per above and today got into my vehicle. I turned on, then off, the ECT and, lo and behold, swiftly into or out of 4 WD whenever I depressed the 4 WD button. This was also about a week or so after this last cleaning.

I should have tried getting into 4 WD without touching the ECT so I cannot say that pressing the ECT button did the trick. Regardless, it works great now but whether it will continue to work is anybody's guess. If it doesn't my next step will be to replace the switch and possibly the wire to the switch.

Here's one link with a photo of switch:

https://forum.ih8mud.com/threads/200...-fixed.266378/
Old 12-12-2016, 04:24 PM

Check ALL vacuum hoses for cracks.
Old 12-13-2016, 04:58 PM

Check the vacuum lines to front diff actuator , steel tubes rust out and rubber cracks
Old 12-14-2016, 03:36 PM

This is an update to my post, above. I have been running my 4 Runner for the last three days and there are no problems going into or out of 4WD. In fact, it seems to take less time each time. In regard to the ECT having an effect, I don't believe it does. In fact, I think the transfer case switch isn't in good shape at this stage of the game (my vehicle is a 2002, contemporaneous with many of your own, purchased that year) plus I wasn't truly able to clean it only soak it (the terminals on the switch and on the connector) with sprayed on CRD Contact Cleaner. I also think that exercising the 4WD helps.

And I don't mean exercising it by running it once a month or so as Toyota recommended. I frankly think that may be BS to cover up a known or potential issue, which, if there is one, might create liability for Toyota. I have "exercised" my vehicle over the last few days by constantly, and I mean constantly, going in and out of 4WD which it now does handily, sometimes even without any blinking lights, that is straight in or out of 4WD. Let's face it-- anything sitting around for a long time is bound to run into problems. So by getting that actuator moving I believe I may also be freeing it up from a bound or partially bound state and probably getting lubrication to it. Put another way, the problem may be dual-- an ailing switch combined with a sticky actuator.

My next step will be to replace that switch, if I can ever get a socket around it. In the meantime I intend to use my 4 Runner more often than previously, when it would sit around the house for weeks at a time not being used for anything but little side trips and errands when our main vehicle, a much newer Highlander, was being used by the wife or vice-versa. Presently my problem will be limited to removing the bolts broken off when removing the front skid plate.

I'll keep you posted on the shifting in and out of 4WD.
Old 12-24-2016, 11:26 AM

A further update...

Shifting in and out never worked better. I continue to run my 4 Runner and will barely skip a day without doing so and constantly shifting in and out of 4 WD. It continues to perform absolutely flawlessly, the only exception being when I start the vehicle cold and I try to put it into 4 WD immediately. Yet even that delay is a modest one and certainly takes no longer than when I first purchased the vehicle, which I did new, in 2002.

I have also found that by taking my foot of the gas when pushing the 4 WD button makes it literally, and virtually immediately, shift in or out of 4 WD. I know I started out considering the ECT as a possible fix (turning it on or off) based on another post, but that appears to have nothing to do with anything unless, depending on when it's turned on or off, you get the same effect as taking your foot off the gas pedal and that would probably only have an effect when it's turned off. That would be the equivalent of taking your foot off the pedal, I assume. Also, it was mentioned that by braking you could get it to shift in or out of 4 WD. I believe that's also the equivalent of taking your foot of the pedal.

I also think that continually "exercising" the system, that is going in and out of 4 WD is good for everything, i.e. the switch, with current going through it and certainly the actuator rod, which may be in need of lubrication, especially in my own case where the vehicle has sat around for weeks, if not months at a time, and when running it, not attempting to go into 4 WD.

I'll continue to update on this as the last time I cleaned the contacts I let the vehicle set and was back to Square One when I next attempted to shift into 4 WD. At this point I will continue to run it regularly and regularly exercise the 4 WD system.

And finally a special thanks to Funrunner gal, whose own success at fixing her problem enabled me to, so far, fix my own, the only cost being a can of CRD Contact Cleaner!
Old 02-04-2017, 10:57 AM

Further & Final Update-- 4 WD never worked better

Having sprayed the heck out of BOTH the terminals on the switch AND on the connector (and having let them dry for several minutes, wiping down what could be reached) I can report that I have had no additional problems of any sort switching in and out of 4 WD on my 2002 4-Runner! As so many have reported this problem it would appear this simple fix is all that is needed. I hope this helps.