Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4WD not engaging

Search this Thread

Old 01-23-2007, 01:19 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4WD not engaging

For starters, I'm a veteran BB user, and have already used the search function here. Found lots of info, but haven't found anyone with my specific setup and problem, so while this appears to be a redundant thread, understand that I am no noob. I tried posting on another thread, but have not received replies there, and it's fallen to the bottom of the list here (https://www.yotatech.com/forums/showthread.php?t=94600). I'll keep it brief.

95.5 Tacoma, 2.7L, manual hubs & tranny, manual 4WD select, 231k miles. When shifting into H4, no indicator light, no power to front wheels. When shifting to L4, tranny gears down, no indicator light, no power to front wheels. Gearing down confirms linkage is intact. Locking the hubs spins the front drive shaft when the truck rolls, so I'm confident everything from the T-case forward is working properly. Local independent shop says entire T-case should be replaced ($2800 new!!!!, rebuilt T-case at $920 no longer available, no local salvage yard seems to have the right one). I've confirmed the shop did not remove or disassemble the T-case. They made their judgment from looking at the fluid which came out of it (which was admittedly in horrible condition). I'm looking for a second opinion or possible other causes.

Sounds like most of the time, these symptoms are the result of vacuum line issues. But for those whose problems were vacuum related, they either had ADD, or push-button 4WD select. From what I understand, in a fully manual 4WD system (manual hubs, manual 4WD select), vacuum plays no part in 4WD selection or engaging. Am I correct? If so, any ideas on what could be wrong? The truck is fully functional and seemingly problem free in 2WD.

Thanks in advance.

Last edited by jdsdj98; 01-23-2007 at 01:24 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 01:26 PM
Contributing Member

The only thing I can think of is that the transfer case gears are shot... Was there metal in the fluid?

I would take it somewhere and get a 2nd opinion. It would be worth it.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 181 Likes on 126 Posts
Wow, that's interesting. I'd, like above, would check the transfer case for metal. I'd also think that if you'd fried the gears inside the transfer case some sort of bad, not happy noise would come from it. Anybody? Have you checked the front diff? Maybe your shift fork busted loose? My '86, I think the 4WD switch is made when the shift rail slides back. Then again, you said that "it geared down." Hmmm, I'd pop open the the top of the transfer case where the shifter is and take a look in there.
Old 01-23-2007, 02:59 PM

Thanks, guys. Not sure about metal in the fluid. It's been a couple of weeks since the shop visit, so they may not remember exactly.

I was thinking possibly shot gears, also. No strange noises at all. In fact, I had used H4 with no problems about 48 hours before it wouldn't engage. There was no obvious catastrophic failure when it wouldn't work. I routinely shifted to H4 and got no results. It didn't go out with a bang, so to speak. It literally worked 2 days earlier, then didn't work at all. No warning. I'm stumped, too.

Also, shifting to H4 or L4 does not spin the front drive shaft. I'm confident the problem is between the front drive shaft and the tranny (in the T-case). I know nothing about T-cases, though. I'm pretty good with routine maintenance wrenching, but I'm not quite sure of myself enough to take it out, much less disassemble it.

Last edited by jdsdj98; 01-23-2007 at 03:02 PM.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:00 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by jdsdj98
Thanks, guys. Not sure about metal in the fluid. It's been a couple of weeks since the shop visit, so they may not remember exactly.

I was thinking possibly shot gears, also. No strange noises at all. In fact, I had used H4 with no problems about 48 hours before it wouldn't engage. There was no obvious catastrophic failure when it wouldn't work. I routinely shifted to H4 and got no results. It didn't go out with a bang, so to speak. It literally worked 2 days earlier, then didn't work at all. No warning. I'm stumped, too.
Wow... that is weird. That doesn't make sense to me... Other than the shift linkage not engaging correctly, I can't think of why it would just stop working.
Old 01-23-2007, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Like I said, just pull the boot off of the transfercase lever and take off the plate (get a haynes or whatever if you need a good reference). Take a look. It sounds like you have H2, and L2. Kinda like a twin stick setup, except the front isn't working. I find it hard to believe that you sheared an output shaft. I could be wrong though!! It's not like you NEVER used your transfer case for years, and then tried it one day.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:02 PM

Thanks. I've got a Haynes manual for it. I'll definitely take a look in the top of it. Maybe I'm being too optimistic, but I'm hoping for a simple fix to a simple problem.
Old 01-23-2007, 04:05 PM
Contributing Member

I'm with you on the simple fix thing, keep us posted as to what you find!!! Good luck!!!
Old 01-23-2007, 04:15 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Sounds like no chain, if it's chain-drive.
Old 01-23-2007, 06:15 PM

Thanks you guys. Using the VIN, I confirmed that it is a chain drive.

All of this gives me some ideas of some things to check out. I'll post if I can figure it out.
Old 01-24-2007, 01:33 PM
Contributing Member

Did some more research today, I'm thinking that you hi-low shift rail isn't working. The 4WD indicator light rides on that rail, hence the reason your not getting an indication.

http://www.4x4wire.com/toyota/tech/twin_stick/

Take a look at some of these pics, not so much the write up, to see what I mean.
Old 01-24-2007, 09:13 PM

Thanks so much for the extra research. I haven't had a chance to pop the lever out and top plate off, but I'll be doing so as soon as I have some time to devote to it.

I can shift between H2 & L2 by moving the transfer shift lever to H4 & L4, so I think the hi-low rail is working. Are you sure the light indicator rides on this rail? If so, I should be getting an indicator light.

If one of the rails isn't working, I'd be more suspicious of the other one. Would it be possible for the interlock pin to fail, either by breaking or simply popping loose, under any circumstances? Breaking seems almost impossible to me, as it's just a short steel rod. And, if it weren't in place, which rail would be actuated by moving the transfer shift lever?

Also, in the case of a broken chain, if both shift forks/rails were working properly, and the light indicator rides one or both of the rails, it seems that I would be getting an indicator light with no power to the front wheels, correct? If that's the case, then I can easily rule out the chain as the culprit, since I get no indicator light when the transfer shift lever is at H4 or L4.

Just trying to isolate the problem, and am thankful for your ideas. If anyone can verify that the light indicator rides the transfer shifter rail, I'm well on my way to nailing it as a linkage problem, although I'm not certain this T-case has twin shift forks (I knew nothing about transfer cases at all before this problem.)

Just found this:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Toyot...ameZWD1VQQcmdZ

May just spring for it at $225 + shipping if for nothing else but parts.

Last edited by jdsdj98; 01-24-2007 at 09:53 PM.
Old 01-25-2007, 10:30 AM
Contributing Member

Here's another link with a good IPB to help out. There's an interlock pin that keeps both rails together (the hi-low and front drive). The pin is inplace with a spring, ball and and plug. The front drive rail engages the 4WD light, NOT the hi-low rail. I told you wrong.
Old 01-26-2007, 08:47 AM

Thanks, Logan. I really appreciate the ideas. What you're saying makes perfect sense.

I did go ahead and order a T-case for $225 + $100 s/h. It's only got 68k on it (I've got 231k on my truck). I'll just stick it in and do surgery on my old one for fun to see if I can figure out what it is/was. Then I'll keep it around for parts. I figured $325 is worth it, since any combination of new parts to repair my old one will be at least that much.
Old 01-26-2007, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

Sounds good, definately let us know what the deal with your old transfer case was!!
Old 01-27-2007, 03:32 PM

Popped the lever out and top plate off today. It's toast. Lots of metal even all the way up in the cup where the lever sits. Some of it was the size of small/medium nail heads. Both rails work fine. So, I'm not sure exactly what got shredded, but something inside is complete toast. Whatever it is, it doesn't seem to affect 2WD at all, so I'm good until the new/used one gets here. Thanks for the suggestions and ideas. I'll probably do surgery just for fun once I make the switch, but it's definitely hopeless as is. It must have been a gradual process, and then finally let go quietly. I never heard an odd sound or felt anything wrong. Weird....
Old 01-28-2007, 06:01 AM

too bad on the metal but sounds as though you have it handled, let me know if you need any tools
H
Old 01-28-2007, 06:57 AM
Contributing Member

Bummer dude!!! Atleast you weren't knuckle deep in the woods and it let go!!!
Old 01-28-2007, 05:32 PM

Received 23 Likes on 20 Posts
Could have been chain afterall. Lucky geuss. Wouldn't explain no light, that's correct. Also, if it was you'll not find a new one aside from Toyota OEM, pricey. Same goes for everything else in there except input/output shaft bearings and seals(Napaonline). Good move gettin' the whole unit. Wish I hadn't spent months attempting to rebuild one and did the same.

Last edited by MudHippy; 01-28-2007 at 06:42 PM.
Old 02-05-2007, 09:41 AM

Got the "new" transfer case ready to go and will be installing it soon. In trying to keep it as simple as possible, I'm wondering about getting the gear oil into it. Since in the process of installing it, it won't have a lever in it, can't I just pour the oil straight into the top of it before I install the lever? Seems this would be easier than fooling around with the fill plug and having to pump it into the case (I don't have the means to do this presently). It's just one big box o' gears/chain, right? No separate compartments that would necessitate using the fill plug/hole exclusively?

Bench tests confirm the new case works properly. Can't wait to get my 4WD back. Of course, spending the money on this repair and installing it will guarantee that we've seen our last snow storm of the season here in CO.

Quick Reply: 4WD not engaging