Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4wd noises

Search this Thread

Old 06-07-2004, 01:23 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wd noises

I've got a 94 4runner that I'm trying to convert to manual hubs. I finally found a set of cheap hubs here locally and had no problems getting them on, but in 4wd one side makes an awful noise.

I pulled off the add, made sure the aisins were decently greased up and put them on. I lined everything up and they slid right in. I checked them before tightening them down and one worked great but the other isn't working quite right. When i shift it out of the Free position it makes a clicking sound after about 1/4" inch, then slides right into the LOCK position. Then, when i try to put it back in FREE its really tight at the same position, just past FREE....almost tight enough that i need a wrench. Well, I tried it out anyway and it makes a popping, grinding sound on that side whenever I turn...and I'm not talking about a tight turn, and yes, this is in mud, only in 4wd. Any ideas? I've searched for 4wd noises, sounds, etc, but found nothing.

Thanks in advance guys.
Old 06-07-2004, 04:02 PM

Originally Posted by s_wall98
I've got a 94 4runner that I'm trying to convert to manual hubs. I finally found a set of cheap hubs here locally and had no problems getting them on, but in 4wd one side makes an awful noise.

I pulled off the add, made sure the aisins were decently greased up and put them on. I lined everything up and they slid right in. I checked them before tightening them down and one worked great but the other isn't working quite right. When i shift it out of the Free position it makes a clicking sound after about 1/4" inch, then slides right into the LOCK position. Then, when i try to put it back in FREE its really tight at the same position, just past FREE....almost tight enough that i need a wrench. Well, I tried it out anyway and it makes a popping, grinding sound on that side whenever I turn...and I'm not talking about a tight turn, and yes, this is in mud, only in 4wd. Any ideas? I've searched for 4wd noises, sounds, etc, but found nothing.

Thanks in advance guys.

Did you rebuild the hubs before you put them on? It kinda sounds like the big spring is out of its groove/detent. I don't really know what effect that would have on noises, but it could easily effect the way the selector turns. I have done the rebuild, but I haven't installed the hubs yet. I'm glad to hear it went smooth.
Old 06-07-2004, 05:59 PM

Well, yes and no.

I didn't rebuild as in getting all new parts. I did however take apart the hubs and reassembled them as shown in a pdf file that i can't find now. I guess I'll go and get everything I need tomorrow and totally rebuild them, just wondered if this had happened to anybody else out there.

Thanks for the reply Surfrig. About how much did it cost you to rebuild them?

-Shawn
Old 06-08-2004, 01:40 AM

Bump!!
Old 06-08-2004, 07:40 AM

Originally Posted by s_wall98
Well, yes and no.

I didn't rebuild as in getting all new parts. I did however take apart the hubs and reassembled them as shown in a pdf file that i can't find now. I guess I'll go and get everything I need tomorrow and totally rebuild them, just wondered if this had happened to anybody else out there.

Thanks for the reply Surfrig. About how much did it cost you to rebuild them?

-Shawn
Nothing. Well, I guess $50 since the first pair I got were too beat up to use. I learned on that pair and put together enough parts for a spare. The gaskets were included and intact so I'll reuse them. Did you find yourself needing spare parts halfway through? I hate getting stuff apart and then figuring out you need something.

J.D.