Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4wd indicator light not showing

Search this Thread

Old 12-16-2004, 11:58 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4wd indicator light not showing

I own a 99 4runner SR5. The four wheel drive works as far as I can tell due to the jerking action when I am turning in the vehicle. However, my 4 wd indicator light on the dash is not lighting up when it is engaged...could this be a fuse...If so which one would it be, I tried to figure it out.

Thanks!
Old 12-16-2004, 12:00 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
blowen Buld maybe ?
Old 12-16-2004, 12:02 PM

is that easily replaceable? I mean I am sure you would have to take off the dash and everything...if that is not to difficult it would be worthwhile to replace it for sure if it is a bulb.

thanks.
Old 12-16-2004, 12:02 PM
Contributing Member

I just came across the same issue this morning with my 91 4runner. Mine jerks like its in 4wd but don't believe it...I tested mine on a hill and just my back tires spun. So it might not be engaging like mine...test it out before you think its just a light. I don't have a clue as to what mine is. It defeats the purpose of owning a 4wd that won't go into 4wd.
Old 12-17-2004, 09:43 AM

Callmej-I think it is just the indicator light on mine fortunately...When I drop it into 4wd I can tell a certain difference in the way it drives etc...
Old 12-17-2004, 10:07 AM
Contributing Member

I can too...seems like it jumps forward when i lock it into 4 wheel low and i know what you're saying about the steering in 4 wheel drive....slightly hard and almost lurches...im in the middle of jacking mine up to see if mine fully engages or not. good luck!
Old 12-17-2004, 12:36 PM

Hmmm, that is cause for concern then I guess. Please let me know what you find out...wish I had a jack!
Old 12-17-2004, 01:27 PM

go to a dirt lot, put it in 4wd and floor it. If you see skids from both front and back tires then your 4wd light is gone, if not it might be a vacuum leak.
Old 12-17-2004, 01:41 PM

Check your vacuum lines for any leaks. 4WD won't fully engage if there are any leaks on the vacuum lines.
Old 12-17-2004, 03:48 PM
Contributing Member

just found out my problem....there is a 1 way check valve by the 2 vsv's on the passenger side fender...mine wasn't letting any vacuum thru. the check valve is hooked to a vacuum line that hooks to the passenger fender...and outside the fender there is more vacuum hose that goes to a canister under the fender by the front. should be two vacuum lines hooked to it. i remember what 4hummer said about pulling each line off individually and said one sucks and one blows...go figure! hehe...anyways i was thinking...no vacuum there so maybe ill go up the vacuum system. i pulled that check valve off with the vacuum line attached that attaches to the intake....no vacuum...pulled the check valve out......SHHHHHHHHHH....i was like....HOT DAMN! cleaned the check valve out by blowing some high quality H2O thru it...only thing i had on hand...and hooked it up....vacuum! got in...put it in 4wd...light on! came home...pulled on hill...put it in 4 wheel lo...no spin! thats the way i like to see it....so thanks 4hummer!
Old 12-17-2004, 03:58 PM
Contributing Member

glad you found the problem. i know on my 94, theres a connector by the transfer case, and when i was having the same problem, i found that unhooked and walla! my indicator works once again. same thing solved my backup lights not working, little connector up by the transmission.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:06 PM
Contributing Member

i'll keep that in mind too if mine ever goes out....which connector is this? I kinda glanced over mine and saw 2 or 3 things connected to mine but didn't look at it long...hey just curious...are you in charleston wv? sorry for being off subject but i clicked on your link and it said something about baseball in wv.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:12 PM

Originally Posted by callmej75
just found out my problem....there is a 1 way check valve by the 2 vsv's on the passenger side fender...mine wasn't letting any vacuum thru. the check valve is hooked to a vacuum line that hooks to the passenger fender...and outside the fender there is more vacuum hose that goes to a canister under the fender by the front. should be two vacuum lines hooked to it. i remember what 4hummer said about pulling each line off individually and said one sucks and one blows...go figure! hehe...anyways i was thinking...no vacuum there so maybe ill go up the vacuum system. i pulled that check valve off with the vacuum line attached that attaches to the intake....no vacuum...pulled the check valve out......SHHHHHHHHHH....i was like....HOT DAMN! cleaned the check valve out by blowing some high quality H2O thru it...only thing i had on hand...and hooked it up....vacuum! got in...put it in 4wd...light on! came home...pulled on hill...put it in 4 wheel lo...no spin! thats the way i like to see it....so thanks 4hummer!
Good thing you found out and solve the problem. Way to go.

George
Old 12-17-2004, 07:16 PM
Contributing Member

yeh i figured this would take a while but i was persistent as hell and having a 4wd and knowing it doesn't work....nah i can't be havin that! northeast florida huh? what part? maybe u could show me some place to use this 4 wheel drive because im from west virginia and i haven't saw any places even compare to up there so far!
Old 12-17-2004, 07:35 PM

yeh i figured this would take a while but i was persistent as hell and having a 4wd and knowing it doesn't work....nah i can't be havin that! northeast florida huh? what part? maybe u could show me some place to use this 4 wheel drive because im from west virginia and i haven't saw any places even compare to up there so far!
I lived in Jacksonville too. I'm in the Navy and will be going back on deployment on the 27th. I haven't found any good places to wheel. Let me know if you find any.
Old 12-17-2004, 07:39 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by george16
I lived in Jacksonville too. I'm in the Navy and will be going back on deployment on the 27th. I haven't found any good places to wheel. Let me know if you find any.
I got out of the Navy in 01...stayed here since. I live in middleburg and the only mud i can find is on a back road after its rained! pitiful...i'll keep ya posted tho if i find any and have fun on deployment!
Old 12-18-2004, 12:09 AM
Contributing Member

i'll keep that in mind too if mine ever goes out....which connector is this? I kinda glanced over mine and saw 2 or 3 things connected to mine but didn't look at it long...hey just curious...are you in charleston wv? sorry for being off subject but i clicked on your link and it said something about baseball in wv.
not sure which one it would be, but if it ever goes out, it'll be the one not connected! i think its the only one that is connected to the transfer case itself.
im not in charleston wv, i did play baseball there in 2003 for the alleycats, Low A league with toronto, but i believe they're affiliated with milwaukee now and we have moved to lansing michigan.
Old 12-18-2004, 02:28 AM
Contributing Member

haha....yeh kinda set myself up for that dumb question. I used to live in Charleston...then moved to a small town named buffalo wv. now jacksonville florida! i miss the country there to go 4wheeling at anytime but the job market sucks!
Old 12-18-2004, 05:41 AM

Whooo Hooo.

Now go get dirty
Old 12-20-2004, 08:03 AM

Alright, glad you figured it out! Can you help me? Where exactly are those vaccuum hoses located on a 994runner? Anyone know?

I tested the 4 wheel drive this weekend in the snow, and it definitely works...I will spare you the detailed explanation, but I know it works. The indicator light still is not on though...in this case I suppose it must just be the bulb if the 4wd works right? Or could it have to do something with the hose issues?

thanks!

Quick Reply: 4wd indicator light not showing