Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4th Generation Off-Road Impression and More (Long)

Search this Thread

Old 08-24-2003, 08:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4th Generation Off-Road Impression and More (Long)

First time off roading. Had the 4Runner out in the desert. It had rained a couple of days ago so there was plenty of mud. The Big-O XTs performed as I expected. They self clean really well. And the mud is really fine silt based. I also got a chance to try the anti-lock brakes and Vehicle Stability Control on a loanly stretch of gravel road. It stopped incrediby quick and when the VSC enganged, beeping and blinking light, it assisted in staying in control. I also went up a really steep loose gravel hill. I then turned around and used the Downhill Assist Control. It truly is amazing how well it worked. All in all a real fine day and I am most pleased with the off-road performance of the 4Runner. I had no issues with tire rub on my 265/70-17's.

The other part of the adventure was lighting a model rocket. I use to have the Estes rockets as a kid. I bought this adult one a few years ago and thought I would finally light it. Estes rocket engines are A, B, C, and D size, with each letter about double the thrust. This rocket has F and G engines, about 3 feet tall. Lighting it with the G engine requires notification of the FAA. I thought I would try the F engine, probably 1000 feet. Launch pad gets it's power from the 4Runner.

When I got to the launch site, the wind was quite strong for a rocket, but thought it has been in the basement long enough, lets light it.

First few times I pressed the ignition button...nothing. I then installed another igniter, and this time it lights. It goes about 20 feet and starts wobbling and spinning, then starts horizontal, then nose up, then nose down and flies straight down into the fairly dry mud/silt, burying the nose cone about 3 inches in. And only about 15 feet from the 4Runner. The motor finishes burning in the ground then the delay, then pop, the nose cone stays in the ground and the body flies back to open the parachute. What a sight. I was so glad it did not hit the 4Runner. Reminded me of Wyle Coyote!

One more thing. Found a new (to me) feature. Holding the steering wheel mode control switch in turns off and on the stereo.

Sorry for the long post.

What a blast...
Old 08-24-2003, 08:35 PM
Contributing Member

Stewart:

Congratz on your first offroadin adventure Hope ya took lots of pictures so that you can always look back and say sweet, I did this to my 4runner!

Just remember not to place your thumbs on the inside of the steering column as if the wheel jerks, it might tear off those thumbs or any other finger inside the steering column.

I must say that the DAC really does wonders but sometimes it's just annoyin (just my thoughts - but hey it works though!). Gotta say it's one capable 4runner and should be well respected like all the previous gen 4runners Toyota did their homework and were able to design another capable rig in it's stock condition. Those that disagree have not been able to experience it firsthand!

Lance
Old 08-25-2003, 06:43 AM

Stewart, did you get the Borla aftermarket, or did it come on there? If later, did you notice a power difference? How much effect does it have on the sound?
Old 08-25-2003, 03:41 PM

Originally posted by Hannerhan
Stewart, did you get the Borla aftermarket, or did it come on there? If later, did you notice a power difference? How much effect does it have on the sound?
Hannerhan,

It is the Borla aftermarket. I like the sound of the Borla, it is noticable at freeway cruise speeds, but not real inrusive. As far as power, seems like it but then it might just be the sound that gives the impression.

Borla kind of pisses me off. One of the clamps was defective. They do not return phone calls or respond to email. For as expensive as the Borla was, I expect better customer service. The online store was willing to help, but I have to wait for a weekday. Meanwhile I am using a normal clamp at left rear position. Do a search on BigStew username for other posts regarding the Borla.

Good Luck
Old 08-25-2003, 10:37 PM

Hannerhan,
Once you get the Demello square sliders on would like to see a post with your impressions of them.
Thanks,
Tom
Old 08-26-2003, 05:00 AM

Will do. I would have gone with the round ones angled up, but this is the wife's daily driver, and she didn't want to give up the steps... so hopefully this will be a good compromise.
Old 08-26-2003, 10:54 AM

just wondering

Anyway we can see some pics of your rig.

Thanks
toyota2
Old 08-26-2003, 07:50 PM
Contributing Member

Hannerhan:

sounds like you're gettin the same set that I got then if it's round then it's exactly the same.

i went to demello and was gonna have them make the squares but after deciding that it'd be more expensive than the rounds, i ended up with the rounds.

the quality is first class btw, you'll definitely love it when it come in Jason was able to weld it on for me to ensure that his measurements were correct and i must say i'm very happy with them. i haven't really used them yet but i must say it looks rugged

happy to hear that you're gettin from demello

btw, did u ask for the straight on the front or the rear (traditional). just wondering because i had my sliders angle on the rear and straight on the front because i felt it looked better...

lance
Old 08-27-2003, 02:49 AM

They are square, and I think both ends will be angled. I didn't specify to Jason, but the pics of square ones looked to be angled on both sides.

I should be putting them on next week, so I'll post some pics as soon as I do...
Old 08-27-2003, 03:05 AM

Hey guys, look forward to the slider pics. Is there a reason you weld them to the frame instead of bolt-on? Does demello do bolt-on?
Old 08-27-2003, 06:43 AM

They also do bolt on. I believe they are a few $$ more. I am just getting the weld on's because the guy I am going to have do it said it would be easier. And I have no intention of ever taking them off.
Old 08-28-2003, 09:49 AM
Contributing Member

demello can make bolt on applications as he already has the specs off my 4runner. the only problem is that it will be very expensive though

since I knew going into this that I'd never remove them, i just went with the weld on. Jason did a fabulous job on the sliders and i love them alot! if you're in the los angeles area, i can show them to ya anytime (just hit me up). or you can go to pismo and check them out there

the only downside to bolt on. it's a PITA (hehe).
Old 09-03-2003, 04:08 AM

I'm very disappointed I can't go to Pismo this weekend. I've been buying stuff for the truck in preperation too!
I really wanted to film you guys on the dunes... next time.

I'm in the Pasadena/Altadena area so if you're ever up to Hungry Valley or Pismo, we could meet since it's on the way.

Do you have pics of the sliders?

I like the square/bolt-on but that sounds like the most expensive option. Why do I always pick the most expensive option? I also like the removeable like Corey has... I'll have to talk to Demello about my options.

pics, guys, pics!
Old 09-03-2003, 07:51 AM
Contributing Member

FirstToy:

Don't worry about not being able to make the pismo run. I'm sure we'll have more events soon enough.

Some pix of the sliders:

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...hlight=sliders

Actually the most expensive ones are the 1/2 round and 1/2 square. Jason (@ Demello) showed me his new hybrid version that he was making and boy did that one look sweet!

Lance