Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner Transmission Shift Solenoid location???

Search this Thread

Old 07-18-2015, 06:31 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Fixed

I have a 1996 t100 4wd ext cab short bed that i bought about 7-8 months ago with 187xxx miles 3.4 auto.

Before i bought the truck my lead mechanic and i went over the truck with a snap on scan tool and a fine tooth comb, bought the truck and 3 weeks later found out i had been back handed by the universe. The head gaskets blew from the faulty design, called all of the toyota numbers i could find and was denied any recall that i had previously read about t100 owners receiving, between part order complications and local machine shop hassles it took a little over 4 months to get it back on the road. I drove the truck for about a month and the check engine light came on for "shift sensor b electrical" so i parked it. Having just swallowed an $8xx bill (did the work myself and saved some cash), and it needing other things like an ac compressor, knock sensors/wires that i foolishly skipped, coolant leak that had developed from an unknown source, axle boots torn,had just replace both wheel/brake cylinders, etc. i was ready to burn it to the ground. My other truck that has 350xxx miles on it started showing metal debris in the oil, so i said f*%# it lets try to fix the yota. So i found a fix that i hope helps you guys with the same issue

I dropped the sway bar, front half shaft, and trans pan, removed the solenoids and blew them out with compressed air, sprayed the internals with brake cleaner, put it back together, then did a flush with a machine that only uses the pump in the trans for pressure and flushed with 16 qts of trans fluid, and drove it. Check engine light immediately came back for the same code and held gears and shifted erratically for two days until it pushed all the crap/metal into the filter and out of nowhere started shifting perfectly. Changed the filter and fluid one more time and its shifting like new/better than when i got it

It cost me about $160 in parts/fluid and some greasy elbows, instead of $3-500 for a solenoid kit that it DID NOT need.

I hope that helps! And sorry for long winded reply ha

Last edited by Tbird96; 07-18-2015 at 06:45 PM.
Old 01-24-2017, 04:39 PM

Im going through the same thing right now but my revers is not engaging when cold. it only starts to work when its been driven for a while. and even then when warmed up is just doesnt want to work. then I get the Over drive light flashing. i need to count and see what solenoid is going bad. Do you guys think its best if i should replace all of them or just the one thats flashing. do you guys think the aftermarket brands work just as the original brand from toyota ?

Solenoid

Solenoid

Old 01-29-2017, 06:46 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by lennex04
Im going through the same thing right now but my revers is not engaging when cold. it only starts to work when its been driven for a while. and even then when warmed up is just doesnt want to work. then I get the Over drive light flashing. i need to count and see what solenoid is going bad. Do you guys think its best if i should replace all of them or just the one thats flashing. do you guys think the aftermarket brands work just as the original brand from toyota ?

Solenoid

Solenoid

I'll let you know shortly lennes as I have an aftermarket 3 pack from Amazon and will be dropping the tranny pan to install it myself.
Picture of it in this thread Tranny issues P0770 S.O.S
Old 01-30-2017, 06:02 AM

Solenoid issues

Originally Posted by ZUK
I'll let you know shortly lennes as I have an aftermarket 3 pack from Amazon and will be dropping the tranny pan to install it myself.
Picture of it in this thread Tranny issues P0770 S.O.S
Nice! Thanks man. U might sending me the link to the amazon site that directs to the solenoids. I was thinking about to head to the junk yard and pick them up but I think I rather just buy them all so I won't have to have any problems in the future.
Old 02-03-2017, 12:35 PM
ZUK

Go here to get some good info.......
I'm in the process of changing them out right now but taking pics and posting does add time.....

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f2/t.../#post52350687
Old 04-19-2017, 08:18 AM

Hi all - need some help here. I just finished installing a new shift solenoid kit in my 2001 4Runner 2WD (A340E trans and 149,000 miles) and I'm still getting the same OBD-II codes: P0755 01/02-Fault and P0755 02/02-Pending. It won't shift into 4th gear. Everything went in smoothly, including new filter, but I did find a number of metal pieces (2-3mm) attached to the magnets. I probably waited too long to change fluid. Any chance a metal piece is jammed somewhere? Or are there any other components that affect the shifting, maybe electrical or mechanical? I hoped that just changing out the solenoids (all 3) would fix it, but apparently I might have misdiagnosed the problem. Any insights would be great. Thanks
Old 04-23-2017, 06:34 PM

New guys here, running into the P0770 code and some other probs. Thought I'd try posting here before starting a new thread.

2001 4Runner v6 4wd, just over 200k miles

The other day it started shifting hard. Not all the time, just randomly. Mostly noticed going into third I believe.

It is also difficult to get down in drive at times.

CEL came on, and the code it's giving is: P0770

And today, it was very difficult get into park. When I did and turn off the car, it started rolling down the driveway when I let off the brake, making a light clicking noise that I knew wasn't good. I immediately push the brakes to stop it, turned the car back on (which I had to push the shifter up to get it to turn on) and shifted through the gears a few times. It was randomly difficult to get into different gears, but finally went into park.

So what do yo guys think? Am I about to buy a new transmission?
Old 04-24-2017, 10:50 PM
ZUK

Your code 0770 could be a torque converter.
Your park problem could be the steel rod linkage that has loosened up.
Crawl under the drivers side with a flashlight and watch the linkage while
somebody tries shifting it (parking brake on of course).