Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4runner stall during acceleration

Search this Thread

Old 10-20-2005, 02:36 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Could you email me your phone number so I can call you about your troubles?

Gadget@GadgetOnline.com

Gadget
Old 10-20-2005, 03:20 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
*shaking head in disbelief* I'd say they ought to pay YOU for your patience with them.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:29 AM

WOW this is an unbelievable story! I know this is a horrendous ordeal but be so grateful that it happened BEFORE the warranty period expired.. talk about coming down to the wire... gluck bud.
Old 10-26-2005, 04:22 PM

The National Center for Dispute Settlement received my documentation on Monday...I received the return recepit card in the mail today.

They are supposed to forward it off to the regional center here in Portland, Oregon.

My father-in-law is an attorney. He's been really busy with a trial out of town for the past 2 months, but I got a chance to speak with him at length about this ordeal this past weekend. We went over some things together and I think we're well prepared for what might be coming.

I've done a lot of reading about other people and their attempt to get issues resolved through arbitration. I've read that only 30% of cases get resolved in favor of the customer (or at least to their satisfaction). In reading about some of the other cases, I do feel better about the situation because many of the cases that do not get resolved tend to be issues that are "he said, she said." Customer says, "truck is running bad." Toyota says, "No it is not, it's normal." In my case, Toyota readily admits that my truck is running too rich and they don't know what the problem is.

The entire arbitration process completes in 40 days drom the date that the NCDS receives the documentation. Many cases never even reach arbitration as the regional office can make an offer to customers to save time and money for Toyota based on the situation.

Stay tuned....I expect some more meaningful information over the next week or so.
Old 10-26-2005, 05:38 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Let us know if you and Gadget figure this out too.....I am dying to know what the root cause of this problem is.
Old 10-31-2005, 03:47 PM

Well, bad news, gentlemen. I received a letter today from the National Center for Dispute Settlement claiming that the limited warranty that covers my new vehicle had expired and thus, my vehicle is not eligible for arbitration.

This really frustrates me!

My vehicle experienced this problem PRIOR to the warranty period expiring, it reappeared 3 months after getting my vehicle back, no longer under warranty, but a pre-existing condition that was treated as such by the service department. The problem is still evident and should be covered under the program.

I will certainly be making some phone calls tomorrow to BOTH the National Center for Dispute Settlement and the Toyota Regional Office.

Stay tuned...
Old 10-31-2005, 06:17 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by pdxrunner
Well, bad news, gentlemen. I received a letter today from the National Center for Dispute Settlement claiming that the limited warranty that covers my new vehicle had expired and thus, my vehicle is not eligible for arbitration.

This really frustrates me!

My vehicle experienced this problem PRIOR to the warranty period expiring, it reappeared 3 months after getting my vehicle back, no longer under warranty, but a pre-existing condition that was treated as such by the service department. The problem is still evident and should be covered under the program.

I will certainly be making some phone calls tomorrow to BOTH the National Center for Dispute Settlement and the Toyota Regional Office.

Stay tuned...
I'd be calling my lawyer too.
Nothing gets corporate's attention like a Legal Firm's letterhead.
Old 11-01-2005, 10:50 AM

I will only say one thing and I'm sure others will agree. We are all dying to know what the problem is and what the outcome will be for you.

I would not discuss this matter any further on the board until it has all be resolved.

Good luck I hope that you get what you are looking for (a new truck)
Old 11-23-2005, 06:43 PM

It's done! It's over!

Here is the final summary on this issue.

========================

I tried everything I could to get Toyota to buy back or replace the vehicle. Because I was the 2nd owner of it and it was out of the warranty (even though this was a pre-existing condition to the warranty expiring), they refused to do so. To be honest, I understand their perspective that it wouldn't be fair to them to do either. They did commit to resolving the issue for me.

An Engineer from Toyota made an appointment with me for a test drive and hooked up the diagnostic tool to it and took some readings. The 4Runner responded in fine form clearly demonstrating the behavior I had been complaining about for months.

He took the readings and followed up with TRD support to determine a fix for the problem. I was contacted about a week later with a request to bring it in for another service visit. He worked on it for an entire day and determined that the problem was.....the CATALYTIC CONVERTER was clogged.

I had suggested this to them at least twice throughout this process on suggestions by friends, but they dismissed it both times.

I drove the 4Runner for 5 days and it seems like they actually may have fixed the problem. I didn't end up keeping the 4runner, however. After all of this chaos, I decided that I would get rid of it.

So, basically, a simple problem with a vehicle that was under warranty took 6 months to repair, 2 1/2 month in the shop and cost Toyota close to $8,000 in repairs and loaner vehicle costs to them. A clogged cat converter after 30,000 miles hardly seems reasonable to me, but at least it appears that they resolved the problem.

Thanks to everyone for your help trying to solve this problem for me...I wish you all the best of luck and hope you NEVER have to deal with anything as painful as what I experienced.

Last edited by pdxrunner; 11-24-2005 at 06:58 AM.
Old 11-24-2005, 07:19 AM

Wow, good to know the final outcome
Old 11-24-2005, 08:14 AM
Banned

WOW!! What a nightmare!!! :xmas11:
To your credit it sounds like you kept your head and cool! sorry you had to go through all that mess!
Also thanks for the posts on this problem!! It may save somebody alot of pain in the future.
Old 11-26-2005, 08:05 AM
Contributing Member

I just saw this now???

I had the same issue you have and they went right for the cats.

Replaced the first cat and it was fine, but the problem came back, and I am betting it's the cat again.
The tech said "It'll keep happening, and it IS caused by the s/c. Just bring it back till 8 years is up on the emmissions and we'll keep replacing it, then it's up to you what you want done".

I gave up... I bought a new truck, and the 4Runner just sits around for the most part. I know it's going to be like pulling teeth when I go and say "I think the cat is bad again"
Old 02-22-2006, 03:16 PM
Contributing Member

Any new updates here?