Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4Runner ABS rear axle vs. Taco no ABS axle

Search this Thread

Old 08-18-2004, 04:28 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 4Runner ABS rear axle vs. Taco no ABS axle

Hi fellas,
I was wondering if you can use the axles from a non E-lockd, 8.4" Tacoma rear housing in a E-locked 8", ABS 4 Runner housing? From what I found, both housings are 60" wide, both axles have the same splines the only difference seems to be the ABS speed sensor rotor and bearing retainer on the axles.

Look here, under E-Locker project, for the FSM pic:
http://community.webshots.com/user/p1michaud

:confused:
Old 08-18-2004, 06:14 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The only thing that should swap at the axle shafts, not the housings and not the the thirds.

Why?
Old 08-18-2004, 06:47 AM

I picked up a 96 4Runner rear locker that I will install in the Taco. I was just wondering if I modify the 96 Runner housing that has ABS, will my 99 Taco non ABS axles fit the 96 Runner housing?
Old 08-18-2004, 07:05 AM

I think a bigger problem than the ABS or non is the 4-Runner diff is 8" while the housing and diff you have currently are not.

That third will not fit in your Taco's housing.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:12 AM

Hi Flygtenstein,
I realize that the E-locker is an 8" diff and my Taco has an 8.4" diff. I wan to modify the 8" 4Runner diff to fit my truck but it has ABS sensors and I don't so I wanted to know if my truck axles without the ABS Speed Sensor on the axles will fit the E-locked housing?
Thanks,
P
Old 08-18-2004, 10:24 AM
Banned

you need to use the correct terminology if you want to be understood.

axle housing = the 60" wide chunk of metal that houses the axles and gears.
third member = the "gears" and the removable housing - includes the locker and actuator
locker = this is the pinion (spider gears) that can be locked for solid axle performance
differential = the gears that are inside the third member including the ring gear and spider gears in the pinion

Now, the axle housing is different. 4runner = coil springs & ABS and Taco = leaf springs and NO ABS. Your axle housing takes a 8.4" ring gear (third member) and the 4runner takes a 8" ring gear. You cannot take the 4runner third member and make it fit your taco axle housing. You CAN take the locker itself out and have it installed into your Taco third member using your original Taco 8.4" ring gear. It would be easier for you to sell the 4runner stuff (you can easily find a buyer here for the complete locked third) and then find a TRD Taco rear axle assembly w/ complete third member and swap the entire axle and third with locker onto your truck...

Last edited by bamachem; 08-18-2004 at 10:26 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:41 AM

Originally Posted by bamachem
You CAN take the locker itself out and have it installed into your Taco third member using your original Taco 8.4" ring gear.
NO you can't. :pat:

I think what he basically wants to know is if you can swap non-ABS axle/brake assemblies onto an ABS axle housing.

I haven't compared ABS and non-ABS axles side by side, so I couldn't answer that.
The 8.4 vs 8" diff should be irrelevant (sounds like he's keeping the 3rd w/ its matching housing), and since the axles are the same width that should be irrelevant too.

The inner oil seal seals on the bearing retainer on a non-ABS axle. The ABS axle shows the speed sensor rotor basically in the spot where the bearing retainer would be, so I don't know how the seal would work. Maybe ABS uses a seal w/ a different offset? I haven't had my ABS rear apart yet.

Last edited by ErikB; 08-18-2004 at 10:49 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 10:45 AM
Banned

Ahhh, but from what I've read, the locker in the 8.4" housing is the EXACT SAME as the locker in the 8" housing. Is that incorrect? Does the Taco w/ 8.4" take the ARB RD23?
Old 08-18-2004, 10:54 AM

Ahhh, but from what I've read, the locker in the 8.4" housing is the EXACT SAME as the locker in the 8" housing. Is that incorrect? Does the Taco w/ 8.4" take the ARB RD23?
There is no factory locker for the 8.4". All Taco/4runner are 8" (aside from the FJ80 rear). The 8.4" diff uses the RD89 ARB.

The so-called 8.4" diff really has an 8" ring gear , but its not compatible w/ the older style 8" diffs at all. The "8.4" is similar sized, but its a whole different animal. The only thing the same between the two is the carrier bearings (V6 style)

http://home.4x4wire.com/erik/diffs/

My Taco/Tundra/T100 rear "8.4" diff w/ RD89:

Last edited by ErikB; 08-18-2004 at 10:59 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 11:00 AM
Banned

Ahhh, good to know. I thought all Taco's were 8.4", but I guess the TRD ones w/ lockers are 8" then...
Old 08-18-2004, 11:04 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by p1michaud
Hi Flygtenstein,
I realize that the E-locker is an 8" diff and my Taco has an 8.4" diff. I wan to modify the 8" 4Runner diff to fit my truck but it has ABS sensors and I don't so I wanted to know if my truck axles without the ABS Speed Sensor on the axles will fit the E-locked housing?
Thanks,
P
in my opinion the easiest way to do this is to cut off all of the 4runner 5 link crap, and weld spring pads to it and install it into the taco and not worry about the speed sensors, because they wont hurt anything to leave them in
Old 08-18-2004, 11:05 AM

Ahhh, good to know. I thought all Taco's were 8.4", but I guess the TRD ones w/ lockers are 8" then...
Exactly.

Last edited by ErikB; 08-18-2004 at 11:07 AM.
Old 08-18-2004, 04:14 PM

It seems to me the question has not yet been put in the form of a question.

The axle shafts should swap.

The diffs should not. Neither should the axle housings.

You have a third with a locker? There is no modification that can be done to your Taco to take it. The sensors are the least of your worries.
Old 08-18-2004, 07:47 PM

Originally Posted by p1michaud
Hi fellas,
I was wondering if you can use the axles from a non E-lockd, 8.4" Tacoma rear housing in a E-locked 8", ABS 4 Runner housing? From what I found, both housings are 60" wide, both axles have the same splines the only difference seems to be the ABS speed sensor rotor and bearing retainer on the axles.

Look here, under E-Locker project, for the FSM pic:
http://community.webshots.com/user/p1michaud

:confused:
I actually have non ABS axles in an ABS housing, but i doubt that you could go the other way. On the ABS axles, there is a speed sensor ring that is about an inch wide and about 3 inches in diameter. Then about 1/2 inch past this is the oil seal. (look at the ends of the housings, and you'll see what i mean) On the Non-ABS axle, the oil seal surface is right at the end of the shaft (near the backing plate), Then the axle neck's down to go into the housing. The only way you could probably get it to work is to remove the ABS ring, and see if the larger oil seal surface will go into the non-ABS housing.

I had to have some custom spacers machined to allow me to move the oil seal to the end of the housing to run my non-ABS shafts in an ABS housing.

Steve
Old 08-20-2004, 06:28 AM

Exclamation Using non Taco non ABS axles in ABS 4Runner housing

First off, thanks Bamachem for correcting the terminology. It's just one of those things, I know what I meant but could not write it properly...

Thanks NorCalVP, I think that I have my answer now. My question was, can I use my Tacoma non ABS axles complete with backing plate, brakes and all in an ABS equipped 4Runner axle housing?
From what I gather, the oil seal in the 4Runner housing is further in the housing (i.e. away from the wheel side) so you had to have spacers made to move the oil seals towards the wheel side to use you non ABS axles in the ABS axle housing.

What I am contemplating is wether or not to modify the existing 4Runner axle housing to fit the Tacoma (i.e. weld on spring pads and other brackets) while keeping my Taco axles or to try and find a used Taco housing that has/had an E-locking third member.

Cheers,
P
Old 08-22-2004, 09:20 AM

Originally Posted by NorCalVP
I actually have non ABS axles in an ABS housing, but i doubt that you could go the other way. On the ABS axles, there is a speed sensor ring that is about an inch wide and about 3 inches in diameter. Then about 1/2 inch past this is the oil seal. (look at the ends of the housings, and you'll see what i mean) On the Non-ABS axle, the oil seal surface is right at the end of the shaft (near the backing plate), Then the axle neck's down to go into the housing. The only way you could probably get it to work is to remove the ABS ring, and see if the larger oil seal surface will go into the non-ABS housing.

I had to have some custom spacers machined to allow me to move the oil seal to the end of the housing to run my non-ABS shafts in an ABS housing.

Steve
That's kind of what I suspected. Great info, Steve.
I just found a couple of pitures that show the difference in the seal locations...

Non-ABS, seal right at the end of the axle housing:

ABS, seal is mounted further inside axle tube:
Old 08-22-2004, 02:39 PM

Great pics.

Thanks for the pics Erik. That's exactly what I wanted.
Cheers,
P
Old 07-20-2016, 09:36 PM

i have a 96 4runner with a blown axle seal and maybe bearing it has abs. and i have a 96 tacoma parts truck with new axle shafts seals and bearings. anybody know if i can press the speed sensor ring on so my abs will work?
Old 07-21-2016, 07:22 AM

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Bumping a 12 year old thread will not get you the answers you seek. Post a new thread.