Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

4 cyl. or v6?

Search this Thread

Old 03-24-2004, 06:18 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
4 cyl. or v6?

ok guys i've been seeing alot of people on here talkin bout which motor they have and how its better the the other. i personaly have a v6 but have owned a 22r. the 22r i think is a more durable motor but for all out power i pick the v6. ok guys which do u prefer?
Old 03-24-2004, 06:30 PM

I've only owned the 3.0 and now the 3.4, and since i do tow every now and then, I can't imagine using a 4cyl.

But...i'm not going to bash the 4cyl, because, if you aren't towing, don't need to climb a lot of hills and don't have any real need for the V6, then i think the 4cyl is just fine especially considering the fuel economy.
Old 03-24-2004, 07:08 PM
Nic

I have a 4 cylinder, and while it can feel underpowered at times, it is exactly what I need. I have never owned any vehicle other than a 4 cylinders due to the simplicity, ease of maintenace, and gas economy. Plus, I'm poor.

As a matter of fact, the Tacoma I own is only my 3rd vehicle and I still have the 2nd one (84 Camry) that is worn looking with many miles, but runs great.

Since I don't tow anything and don't do hardcore off-roading, it's was the logical choice for me. I am happy with it.

At times though, I feel I could use some more horsepower. This is in part because I drive a Jeep Cherokee and Dodge Durango at work 5 to 7 days a week. They are a bit more zippy than my Tacoma-but they are always going to the shop for one thing or another-some of the repairs have been expensive.

Maybe one day I will own something besides a 4 cylinder.
Old 03-25-2004, 04:03 AM

Have had several 22RE's. Hemmed and hawwed over the V6 and the turbo when I bought the latest truck.

The V6 is more powerfull, which I like. But it's also apparently a lot thirstier. I drive a lot of miles, and this would be painfull. The V6 is also more difficult to work on, and seems more trouble prone. There's also a dirth of performance enhancements for that engine. But it was the fuel mileage that took it out for me.

The turbo has some appeal. I've got other turbo engines, so I'm used to them. But this turbo isn't much of a turbo, and I don't like living with oil cooled turbos and the cooldown times that they tend to require. Never had a turbo with a manual transmission, and I'm not sure how much I'd like the combination when the turbo would come up onto boost while working a load. Turbo engines and the vehicles they are in tend to have been driven very hard.

I do tow a fair amount. The 22RE can do it, but it's not doing it rapidly. One medium car on a dolly is about its limit for comfortable towing. Oh, I've towed a whole lot more, but it wasn't fun or fast. This engine is tops on gas mileage of any of the engines in the lineup. The 22RE is a very docile engine, and very reliable. It's about as exciting as a lawn mower. You can hot rod it, but I really question the worth of if. Several thousand dollars later and you still get blown into the weeds by a Nissan pickup.

The 22R holds absolutely no interest to me at all. Complex emission equipment plumbing, even worse performance and mileage then the 22RE. If I lived in a non-emission state I would have considered it though.

So in the end, the highest gas mileage, solid reliability and mediocre performance of the 22RE were the choice for me.
Old 03-25-2004, 11:57 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
cmon, the 22R isn't THAT bad my old 2wd pickup got around 30mpg on average. now if you wanna see bad gas mileage, look at something with a 20R in it. typically more around 15 miles per gallon...kind of makes me wish i had a 302 or something the way it runs

the 22RE is a great engine however. i'm just a little old fashioned so i run carbs