Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3VZE will not stay cranked PLEASE HELP

Search this Thread

Old 11-06-2003, 12:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Exclamation 3VZE will not stay cranked PLEASE HELP

Let me give you the run down and see if you can help!!!! I have recently installed a new 3.0 in my runner. Engne contains off road cams. High flow fuel injectors, Downey headers, highflow cat, catback exhaust, and K&N cold air. Problem I am having is that you can crank the runner. It will run about 4 seconds then it misses, then has one lope then misses again and then dies. If you open the fuel rail release valve fuel sprays. I know I have fuel pressure. Also if it dies you can crank it back up and it does the same exact thing as before and so on. I honestly believe it is not getting fuel past the start. I am not sure if it is the throtle position sensor or the mas airflow sensor. Lots of people are telling me it is a vacum leak. If it was a leak I would think it would run somewhat just ruff. Also if you take carbeurator spray and spray it in the air intake the vehicle will keep runing.
If any more questions please ask I am really wanting fix this without carrying it to the Toyota place. Also i double checked all connections and everything seems to be connected properly and all vacum lines are connected properly. Also does anyone have a real photo of ther K&N filter charger. I want to verify that mine is installed properly. Thanks for any help you can provide

Old 11-06-2003, 12:31 PM
CTB

I have been in/worked on cars that would not start because of vacuum leaks/hoses disconnected.

Sorry if that doesn't really help, but just thought I would share.
Old 11-06-2003, 12:36 PM

It will start it just want stay cranked. But I will double check all hoses. Thanks
Old 11-06-2003, 12:57 PM

You might want to have the fuel pressure checked. Just becuase youve got pressure doesn't mean you have enough pressure. We had a olds bravada with 40 psi that wouldn't run becuase it needed 50...just a thought.
Old 11-07-2003, 07:11 AM

I definitely wouldn't count out the air flow sensor. Sounds like you have the same problem I used to have. Unfortunately, I was in the mountains when it happened, so I would start it...it would sputter....I let off the clutch and it dies. Those things are pretty big$$$ as well. Good luck.
Old 11-15-2003, 12:40 PM

interesting...

kind of sounds like a fuel pump, i know that when those go out similar symptoms can occur.
Old 11-15-2003, 01:31 PM

Check your igniter. Mine went out, and it wouldn't even start. It is possible that your's is starting to go, but make sure to have it checked before you go and buy a new one. They are expencive.
Old 11-15-2003, 02:02 PM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Fuel pump relay----find it and hot wire it for testing purposes......just run a little jumper from 12+ to the FP wire inside the relay socket. See if that keeps it running. If so, then the FP relay or AFM is suspect.
Old 11-15-2003, 03:51 PM

My guess is that its the AFM as those were the exact symptoms I had when I didn't have the intake hose on tight enough and air was leaking in past the AFM.
Old 11-16-2003, 04:20 PM

Re: 3VZE will not stay cranked PLEASE HELP

Originally posted by AbramHart
Let me give you the run down and see if you can help!!!! I have recently installed a new 3.0 in my runner. Engne contains off road cams. High flow fuel injectors, Downey headers, highflow cat, catback exhaust, and K&N cold air. Problem I am having is that you can crank the runner. It will run about 4 seconds then it misses, then has one lope then misses again and then dies. If you open the fuel rail release valve fuel sprays. I know I have fuel pressure. Also if it dies you can crank it back up and it does the same exact thing as before and so on. I honestly believe it is not getting fuel past the start. I am not sure if it is the throtle position sensor or the mas airflow sensor. Lots of people are telling me it is a vacum leak. If it was a leak I would think it would run somewhat just ruff. Also if you take carbeurator spray and spray it in the air intake the vehicle will keep runing.
If any more questions please ask I am really wanting fix this without carrying it to the Toyota place. Also i double checked all connections and everything seems to be connected properly and all vacum lines are connected properly. Also does anyone have a real photo of ther K&N filter charger. I want to verify that mine is installed properly. Thanks for any help you can provide

Got the problem fixed!!! First off let me say never to use Trotter Toyota out of Pine Bluff Arkansas... These guys are such tards and NO CUSTOMER SERVICE.!!!!
The story is I carried my runner to these guys and had to unload it by myself because the techs were on break or something. AKA they were sitting on there ACE's with there feet up. I leave kinda of discouraged because of the service so far. I leave and decide that I may need to call on Monday so I do. I also call on tuesday because they tell me they cant get it in todat but they will tomorrow. So no bigun I call on Wed around 10:30 they are just bringing it in. So I call back around 3 PM to make sure they got it in. The Ace hole service manager tells me that first the starter needs to be replaced. I know this already!! He tells me I am looking at some money to do this as they will have to remove the aftermarket headers and exhaust to get to the starter!! So I tell them dont worry about that. Then I ask about the starting problem and the manager tells me that they are at a stopping point as they dont know what wires I have hooked up wrong!! So I ask them if they hooked it up to a diagnostic machine. He states yes. So I ask him if there is anything they can do to trouble shoot it. The Ace hole tells me that he can just start replacing parts and see if that fixes it!!! But I am looking at lots of money to do this!! So I ask him if they can fix it and again he tells me they are at a stopping point. Oh well I arrive to pick it up with my Car Hauler and before going in I go around back and about fall out. The vehicle is sitting in the same spot I unloaded it. So I walk and speak to the Ace hole manager Richard and I ask him did you guys bring it inside and check it out. The manager tells me that one of his mechanics brought it in and worked on it. So I ask him that it just so happens that when the tech brought it in and worked on it he rolled it back into the same spot I unloaded it!!! Then he changes his story and tells me his tech looked at it outside!! I told the Ace hole I find that hard to believe. So I go outside and start to role it so I can get it lined up with the hauler. Two detail guys and and a mechainc comes out and ask If I need help. I tell them yes and appreciate it. They ask why I am picking it up as it has not been worked on yet. No biggy!!! I contact another manager and talk to him and he never calls me back. I sent the general manager an email and he never calls me. Thats OK because I will contact the owner of the company. NOT only did they loose my business but they lost my familys business the one that spends around $10000 in service work a year with this same dealer

I KNOW I KNOW SHUT UP AND GET TO THE POINT

My dad has a truck with the same Air Flow Meter AFM as mine. I take his off and put it on mine. The thing cranks wright up with no problems. So i contact a friend who has alot of spare toyotas and picked up an AFM from him for $80.00. Go back to the shop and fix it. Thing runs like a champ. One thing I noticed is with the stock air box the rig seems to have more power than with the K&N cold air intake.

I appreciate all of the replies on this post and hope that if any one has this same problem they may be able to do the same thing I did to fix it.

OH YEAH DONT BUY ANYTHING FROM TROTTER TOYOTA OF PINE BLUFF ARKANSAS ALSO DONT HAVE ANY SERVICE WORK DONE BY THEM EITHER.

Thanks for your help
Old 11-16-2003, 04:59 PM
Contributing Member

It's good that you got it fixed and that it was an easy fix. Some dealerships are just horrible. You should have ripped that service manager a new one and let every customer there know that they are liars and cheats. I hope you didn't give him any money.

I really think we should start a list of "Dealerships Not To Use" because I've got one too. Classic Toyota of Round Rock Texas can kiss my arse. Anyone want to start a list? Maybe a sticky or separate page for it?

:pat:
Old 03-11-2005, 10:56 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
what aftermarket injectors did ya put in?
how much more do they flow?
are you running rich?