Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3VZ-E Front Main Seal

Search this Thread

Old 09-06-2004, 11:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3VZ-E Front Main Seal

New member here. After searching the Web like crazy, I found this forum and I have to say it is the best one out there. I just picked up an '89 4Runner with the 3VZ-E V6. Friends of my In-laws were giving it away, so I jumped on it. Still can't believe that nobody else wanted it.
Anyway...he told me about how it had a really bad oil leak. I got it home and after poking around a little I narrowed it down to the Front Main Seal. I have a few weeks before I am going to start on it and I am trying to find a few things out. First, I assume the radiator has to come out, is that correct? Second, will I need any special tools, such as a chain wrench or a puller for the pulley? And third, does the oil pump have to be removed, or do you fit the seal on without removing the pump?
Thank you for any help with this matter. Again..great forum.
Old 09-06-2004, 12:40 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Corvin
New member here. After searching the Web like crazy, I found this forum and I have to say it is the best one out there. I just picked up an '89 4Runner with the 3VZ-E V6. Friends of my In-laws were giving it away, so I jumped on it. Still can't believe that nobody else wanted it.
Anyway...he told me about how it had a really bad oil leak. I got it home and after poking around a little I narrowed it down to the Front Main Seal. I have a few weeks before I am going to start on it and I am trying to find a few things out. First, I assume the radiator has to come out, is that correct? Second, will I need any special tools, such as a chain wrench or a puller for the pulley? And third, does the oil pump have to be removed, or do you fit the seal on without removing the pump?
Thank you for any help with this matter. Again..great forum.
I have never changed the front main seal just changed the oil pump. You will have to break torque on the balancer and then remove it using a gear puller. You will also have to pull off the timing belt and timing belt gear to get to the seal. So you might as well plan on doing a timing belt replacement too.
You will have to be really careful pulling the seal if you decide not to replace the oil pump try not to scratch the surface of the crank where the seal sits if you do it will probably leak even after you replace the seal.
Goodluck there is no easy way to do it unfortuately.

Last edited by 934rnr; 09-06-2004 at 12:41 PM.
Old 09-06-2004, 04:29 PM

Thanks for the info. I learned from experience that it is better to find out what is involved BEFORE tearing into the job. I appreciate the help...thanks again.
Old 09-10-2004, 09:35 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
You might not have to remove the radiator - for the 22re oil pum I didn't need to , even though the shop manual says to do it. On the other hand, if you go ahead and remove it, you have more room to work, and you don't have to worry about damaging it...