Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3VZ-E 300Hp gain N/A brainstorm

Search this Thread

Old 10-21-2005, 07:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

ok well i came up with another great idea that’s not realistic because it cost so much anywhoo do you think its possible to produce 300Hp at the crank with the 3.0L V6 ? without increasing the MPG infact getting maybe more MPG, Please don’t flame this tread and explain why it wouldn’t work or why is it pointless.......PS the whole point of this is to make it efficient and more powerful not an engine swap with a turbo or blower

Well these are the mods i had in mind

5-15% bigger Throttle body

Custom or ported intake manifold

15% port and polish with completely rebuilt head

Custom Lighter Pistons

Custom lighter connecting rods

Copper head gasket to seal it all off

Custom pulleys

Electric fan

Electronic ignition (no distributor)

Electronic amplifier with the coils, wires ect. ect.

Cold air intake

Headders and full cat back
Ecu upgrade

this is all looking to be around 10,000 Canadian, i can get everything done here i seen a similar engine same 3VZ-E with 280HP for i think 8000 US on a site so i know it can be done, i know there is alot of small details left out but these are the major, now this site is offering this 9100 US for 225HP http://www.doaracingengines.com/page7/page7.html
Old 10-21-2005, 10:30 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Not going to happen. I think what you listed maybe 220 max at the crank. The link you provided of D.O.A. shows no dyno graphs or flow bench results. They advertise but no proof. Not saying their stuff doesn't work but if I were to buy any engine part I want some R&D for proof. Also why would you trust a companies name that means Dead On Arrival? :pat: Sorry I don't think it's going to happen from what you listed. The big thing I can see what the 2.4 & the 3.0 suffer from is the air meter. Our engines are barely breathing. Your money would be best spent on the people who are trying to develop a mass air system for it. You can put all the tricks and money into your engine but it will still not perform to par if it is breathing through a straw.

James
Old 10-22-2005, 12:12 AM

I just don't think 100hp per liter is possible on a 20 year old motor with out the use of forced induction. Some times you need to think about how HP is calculated before you get all excited about HP numbers.

Last edited by Ganoid; 10-22-2005 at 12:18 AM.
Old 10-22-2005, 12:18 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ganoid
I just don't think 100hp per liter is possible on a 20 year old motor with out the use of forced induction.
its possible look at these small blocks that are making well over 600hp NA
Old 10-22-2005, 12:30 AM

well I guess if you start with a 3.0 Block and custom build every other part then its possible. 600 HP small blocks are completely custom compared to what they where from the factory. If your just talking about "what ifs" then you could probably get more than 300 hp if you look into the tech used to build 3.0's back in their day for guys like Ivan Stuart but for realistic street use its not feasible.
Old 10-23-2005, 06:51 AM

oh i know 300hp at the crank is possible i seen 4.3L chev engine doing 460+ N?A with all internals done............but im going to scrap this idea, not good for a truck to have a race engine would kill more gass,......hmmm ut then again who says im gonna be shifting at 6500 RPM, i know it can be done but how much TQ you think i would loose from 500 RPM- 4000 RPM ?
i am going to do some of the things listed there but to the 5VZ-E engine (190hp 17MPG) or the new 2006 4L V6 (236 hp and 16MPG)
Old 10-23-2005, 11:11 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
don't waste your time. unlike the R and M engines, the 3VZ-E has a pretty weak bottom end, even if the heads held up to the power, it'd eat itself alive.
Old 10-23-2005, 11:36 AM

do elaborate....

From what I heard the crank is pretty damn stout as are the pistons, the only things left are the rods which blow donkey balls and should be swapped anyhoo, then you have to look at hte main webs, but aren't those supported as this is a girdled main engine? Lastly the nickel content?

IMO with a new set of rods and maybe pistons 300hp should be achievable....though difficult for a 3.0L engine without any type of FI...but as I've not built an engine i cant say...

Im not a mechanic but aren't he 2 killers of this engine is its ability (or lack there of) to breathe? If so, wouldnt more attnetion need to be paid to the top end? Bigger exhaust valves....before and after flow testing, and from the flow testing of the head you can get custom cams ground for maximal power in the proper area of your powerband...

One day when I actually have money and am out of school Ill do it just to do it...but it WILL be turboed...

Last edited by Bumpin' Yota; 10-23-2005 at 11:51 AM.
Old 10-23-2005, 12:52 PM

The remote turbo idea is starting to grow on me.

I was delivering to a station in Bend,Or called Stop-n-Go and there was a guy filling up his 02 Chevy 1500 4wd. We got to taking about fuel economy and it turned out he has a squires turbo on that 4.7l Chevy v8 getting 18mpg . I got to crawl all over that truck looking at stuff and it actually looks pretty simple. He had a front mounted intercooler that he tig'ed up himself and all kinds other goodies but the basic turbo is pretty simple. The only drawback he said was that it was a bit laggy when the truck was very cold but after a few hard pulls the lag was gone. He was telling me that he drags it in 4wd and the trick for him was to hold the brake and mash the gas on the staging line letting the engine build about 7lbs of boost against the torque converter then drop the brake on the green. I dont know about you guys but 7lb launches turning into 15lbs of boost on a 4.7l v8 in 4wd on the strip sounds like a blast.

My only dilemma is choosing between a turbo set up or the marlin trail-flex kit for front and rear?

Last edited by Ganoid; 10-23-2005 at 02:45 PM.
Old 10-23-2005, 02:04 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Forced induction is the only way you are going to get anywhere near that kind of HP from a 3.0L.....there have been a few turbo setups that have been done.

Here's one:
http://www.pirate4x4.com/forum/showt...ight=3vz+turbo
Old 10-23-2005, 02:16 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by kyle_22r
don't waste your time. unlike the R and M engines, the 3VZ-E has a pretty weak bottom end, even if the heads held up to the power, it'd eat itself alive.
3vze and 5vze bottem ends are almost identical
Old 10-23-2005, 07:20 PM

That type of power may be possible from a 3.0 but the cost and feasibility would be really questionable. You'd be much better off shooting for 200hp like someone else said or just swap in something bigger / more ballsy. By the time you're making 220 hp with your 3VZE you could've dropped in a 3.4 and put headers and an intake on it- that gives you roughly the same or more power you've strived to achieve with all the mods you've listed on your 3.0. The cost is what's going to kill your plan here. It's not economically feasible to make big power from the 3.0 given the other alternatives available- unless of course you're just trying to see how much power you can make from the 3.0
Old 10-24-2005, 05:04 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Willcipher
That type of power may be possible from a 3.0 but the cost and feasibility would be really questionable. You'd be much better off shooting for 200hp like someone else said or just swap in something bigger / more ballsy. By the time you're making 220 hp with your 3VZE you could've dropped in a 3.4 and put headers and an intake on it- that gives you roughly the same or more power you've strived to achieve with all the mods you've listed on your 3.0. The cost is what's going to kill your plan here. It's not economically feasible to make big power from the 3.0 given the other alternatives available- unless of course you're just trying to see how much power you can make from the 3.0
There are certainly alot of other more economical alternative swaps which will make substatially more power with little investment.

.....a 2JZ-GTE swap comes to mind.
Old 10-24-2005, 05:35 AM

or a carbed 383 stroker....just gotta take it easy on the rest of the drive train...lol
Old 10-24-2005, 06:08 AM
Contributing Member

for the price of all them goodies for the 3.0...just get a 5.0 motor and tranny and drop it in and you will have the equivalent hp as modding the 3.0 but a lot heavier wallet. look at www.toyotaperformance.com and compare prices from a small block swap. Remember when you mod the 3.0 out that far then things will tend to break faster as with any motor. Its the stock ones...well some of them...that keep on going.