Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3RZ Alpine/TRD Supercharger!

Search this Thread

Old 05-31-2011, 07:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3RZ Alpine/TRD Supercharger!

A friend of mine sent me a guys information today, one who had a 2.7 Alpine TRD S/C. I've spoken to the owner and have devised a payment plan. I just have some last minute questions.

He is the original owner of this unit and purchased it new from Toyota. It was installed on his 1998 4Runner and has approx. 50k miles on it. He says it works fine, with no issues. He removed it because he's selling the 4Runner and wanted to return the 4Runner to stock.

It has 50,000 miles on it, it comes with 3 pulleys (2.6, 2.5, and 2.4), 2 belts, and Dynamic tensioner.

My questions for you are:

1. The S/C has an 8 port intake manifold as shown here:

I drive a 1999 4Runner and I believe mine is a 4 port if not mistaken. Is there a way I can still run this unit?

2. The asking price is $1,400 plus $80 shipping. Is this fair?

3. Would I have to worry about CEL's with this unit and the 2.6" 4 psi pulley? I plan to run fuel management for a 2.4" pulley, but in the meantime, I'll run this.

Thanks for all your expertise.

Here are some more photos:

Old 07-03-2011, 02:49 PM

Say hello to my little friend, who I just paid off and received

I've already installed my TRD boost gauge and pod to the stock intake manifold just because I was excited. I have to wait til my next paycheck, which I will buy ARP intake mani studs, LCE teflon gasket set, and LCE's supercharger service kit (oil, etc)

Onto another thing, I know it's advisable to rebuild the unit before use. I can't afford it quite yet, but I will down the line. I noticed some residue inside the intake plenum and inside of the unit (as shown in the video below). Is that normal, did the previous owner possibly have a bad PCV valve, or is it just from normal use?

Help appreciated. Thanks.

Old 07-09-2011, 12:16 PM

Well, it say's what engine the kit is intended for on the side of the box so as long as you have exactly the same engine in your truck and as long as the year is right you should be good to go for now; esspecially when your using the least agressive pulley. As for the rebuild, I would postpone the install until you can afford to change the oil in the nose cone. Reason being, I think in order to change the oil you have to remove the entire nose cone if not the whole S/C (if your S/C is anything like the S/C for the 3.4l v6). The residue is most likely engine oil from the previous owner, but make sure that is smells like engine oil and not S/C oil, they do smell different. If you're looking for cheap add-on's, I would check out Texas Ace's DIY meth kit. For around 150 bucks, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than fuel upgrades. Just a thought
Old 07-10-2011, 09:57 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper2002
Well, it say's what engine the kit is intended for on the side of the box so as long as you have exactly the same engine in your truck and as long as the year is right you should be good to go for now; esspecially when your using the least agressive pulley. As for the rebuild, I would postpone the install until you can afford to change the oil in the nose cone. Reason being, I think in order to change the oil you have to remove the entire nose cone if not the whole S/C (if your S/C is anything like the S/C for the 3.4l v6). The residue is most likely engine oil from the previous owner, but make sure that is smells like engine oil and not S/C oil, they do smell different. If you're looking for cheap add-on's, I would check out Texas Ace's DIY meth kit. For around 150 bucks, it's a hell of a lot cheaper than fuel upgrades. Just a thought
Thanks. I've already figured everything out from the original post in May, but thank you for your consideration.

I've worked out a deal with Magnuson and LC Engineering to rebuild the whole thing and recoat the rotors. This includes all of the seals, bearings, oil, and cleaning.

Will hopefully be installed within the summer, but funds are not abundant.

Definitely love Texas Ace's Meth kit. I am definitely going to look into it further when all is said and done. I watched his videos and I am likely going to find another reservoir beforehand, placed where my ABS module should have been.
Old 07-10-2011, 10:30 AM
Fossilized
Staff

Received 448 Likes on 293 Posts
So did you figure out the 4 vs. 8 port intake? just curious..can't recall what it is supposed to be..
Old 07-10-2011, 10:32 AM

Originally Posted by ocdropzone
So did you figure out the 4 vs. 8 port intake? just curious..can't recall what it is supposed to be..
Yeah, it's 8 port up until 1999, then 2000 and up is 4 port.
Old 07-16-2011, 10:26 AM

Originally Posted by ChildrenOfBodom
I've worked out a deal with Magnuson and LC Engineering to rebuild the whole thing and recoat the rotors. This includes all of the seals, bearings, oil, and cleaning.

So what kind of deal did you get if you don't mind me asking? How do you go about contacting these people? I would like to get the S/C for my 3.4l completely worked through before I install it as well.
Old 07-16-2011, 11:02 AM

Originally Posted by sleeper2002
So what kind of deal did you get if you don't mind me asking? How do you go about contacting these people? I would like to get the S/C for my 3.4l completely worked through before I install it as well.
My bad, we've since worked out an agreement to replace the rotors since it's easier for us and them.

He did tell me not to disclose how much it's getting done for, but he gave me a mighty good deal. A good perspective... I wasn't able to afford it in 3 paychecks before. Now I'll be able to do it in 1. It's our little secret, so shh

If you're going to have that rebuilt, I would definitely let Magnuson take care of it, they're far more knowledgeable than any supercharger rebuilding company I've spoken to. I would say to avoid PSE Superchargers if you can help it, I spoke with their owner and he sketched me and everyone else out big time.
Old 07-17-2011, 10:57 AM

It's cool, I understand. I used to work in at retail setting and I can remember that if you give one person a good deal, the whole neighborhood would blow up for the same deal and we would loose our arse. So how about some contact info and who should I talk to? or should I just google it?