Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen truck - wet okole impressions.

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-2005, 10:17 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen truck - wet okole impressions.

I received my Wet Okole's yesterday and started the install last night after work. I opened the package and everything seemed to look great. I started the install on the passenger side and did the headrest first. Went great. I then did the back section. I started to slip the cover on and noticed the stitching along the right side was very thin and as I slid the cover down, the stitching gave out in 2 spots, leaving me with 2 holes. I removed it and put the other cover on which gave me no problems. I then did the bottom part of the seat with no problems.

I also noticed there's no place for my lumbar and support knobs to poke through on the driver side seat. I am hesitant to just 'cut' a hole into the fabric. I am referring to the lumbar knob that's on the right side of the driver seat. What have people done in this situation?

I am going to call Okole today and express my disappointment in both the poor stitching of the one side, and the lack of a hole for the lumbar on the other side. I am not going to send the bad stiching side back and wait another month, but am just going to drop it off at a local sewing shop to let them fix the problem.

Overall, I can't say I am terribly pleased with the product. I am doubtful at this time I would ever buy them again, but their durability longterm will also effect that outcome.

Just my 2 cents.

Last edited by bryanr; 09-08-2005 at 10:27 AM.
Old 09-08-2005, 10:25 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I've had my okole seat covers for about 2 years now. I'm not suprised now that they encouraged me so strongly to allow them to install the covers. My covers have held up very well. The only damage to mine so far is the hole in the drivers side from forgetting about the screwdriver in my back pocket

My lumbar support hasn't worked in years. So, I didn't worry about that. Hmmm . . . is there an easy way to fix that? I also have the adjustable width side supports. But, I just keep those cranked in for maximum lateral support all the time.

I live real close to their shop in Costa Mesa if you need any help!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:11 AM
Contributing Member

Wow, that sucks big time. I was thinking of getting a set b/c they look really good and have read many positive things about them (comfortable, more support, etc.). I'll have to rethink this.

Also, I thought they were only in Hawaii. If they are in Costa Mesa, I may make a trip down to see the stuff in person.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:26 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I have a set in my Taco that I bought used. No rips or tears, they were a bit of a PITA to put on because I had trouble getting my arms into some places to clip the clips but overall well worth it. I was very happy with their durability and thickness, they didn't look or feel like some cheap crappy Walmart covers. They are comfortable and definitely added some padding to my seats. They are easy to clean so far and have held up to mud, dust, water, and sand. Not to mention my fat rear on them all the time. I would recommend them to anyone! They fit so well that they don't look like covers, people that haven't heard of Okole before always ask if I put custom seats in or something. I would recomend using their cleaning, sealing, waterproofing stuff to keep it from fading or absorbing to much ass-sweat or something.
Old 09-08-2005, 11:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
I agree with Intrepid on the fit and quality of the covers!
Old 09-08-2005, 11:47 AM

Originally Posted by Snorkeldepth
I agree with Intrepid on the fit and quality of the covers!
Perhaps they make a good product and the ones I got were just a fluke? Even so, it makes a bad impression.
Old 09-08-2005, 02:36 PM

bryan:Were the one's you got "model specific" or were they the Universal fit ones? One way you can tell is price, how much were they?
Old 09-08-2005, 03:29 PM

If you did order custom covers, you have to specify that you have the "sport" seats so that the provision for the lumbar adjuster is made.

I'm surprised they didn't clarify this point when you ordered your covers as the guy must have asked me 4 or 5 times what type of seat I had.

I've had my Okoles in my truck since it was new (3/02) and they have been awesome.

Bryan, I'd call them up and explain the situation, I'm sure they'll make you happy. Don't compromise on questionable build quality - you paid too much to settle.

That being said, I think mine are worth every penny. I've spilled 20oz of coffee in my lap and not a drop penetrated to the seat.

They look awesome, are easy to clean - even in place, and are truly waterproof. I highly reccomend them - my second favorite mod after my Schaefer roof rack.

Give them a call, and don't settle for less than 100% satisfaction.

Curt
Old 09-09-2005, 04:16 AM

I didn't get a chance to call then yesterday, but I will today for sure. My e-mail order receipt shows that I ordered Seats (R the Sport Buckets with Manual Lumbar. I paid $245 shipped for them.