Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen sways like there is a trailer, but there is no trailer

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-2015, 07:10 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen sways like there is a trailer, but there is no trailer

Hello all,

Long-time lurker, first time poster. I'm here to hopefully find an answer to my 98 4Runner (auto, v6, 4x4) woes.

I hauled a heavy (~3000 lbs) travel trailer about 2000 miles this summer (let's not get into that, I know it's a bit heavy for a v6, and yes it does have trailer brakes). While driving at highway speeds (usually around 65-70mph), there were times where the trailer would begin swaying, as I expected to happen, so I'd slow down some and regain control. No big deal.

When I had her unhooked I thought I was tripping out because I'd get up to the same speeds and I'd start swaying again, but there was no trailer behind me! It's hard to describe but it is definitely not a shimmy or a wobble, but a swaying - almost like a boat in waves - (yaw and roll, but no pitch). Sometimes, if the rhythm is right, it'll rock back and forth so much that my head will bobble around.

I thought for sure it was blown struts and/or shocks, which needed a swap anyway so I went ahead with that (did the work myself). No luck. This thing just floats around like crazy. I will refuse to drive this thing once ice hits the road because of all the lateral motion.

I am beginning to think it *might* be the lower tie arm bushings, but I'm not sure because I do not hear the supposed "telltale" clunk when turning. (?)

I also want to mention that my sway bars and links are intact as is my panhard/lateral bar.

Any thoughts?
Old 09-07-2015, 11:49 PM

Received 99 Likes on 86 Posts
Red face

Is the 4Runner lifted at all ??

Did you take out (destroy ) the rear springs towing this trailer.

How much added weight did you have in the rear of the 4Runner as well.

If every thing else is thought ( ????) to be in good shape !!

Broken belts in rear tires can cause this as well but should be pretty easy to see.

Bad bushings are pretty evident most times because they are dry rotted and starting to crumble . Then you can move the part in question when it should be tight.

Last edited by wyoming9; 09-07-2015 at 11:50 PM.
Old 09-08-2015, 04:29 AM

Received 121 Likes on 78 Posts
Check the tire pressures. Maybe even think about setting the front tires a little lower than the rears (so the initial sidewall compliance is understeer, not oversteer).

Also ponder the possibility that this is psychosomatic - that you are subconsciously reacting to things you only think the truck is doing, since you got accustomed to the truck acting a certain way with the trailer. Maybe have someone else drive it and see if they feel the same thing happening.

Could also be squirmy tires. My wife's old Bronco II used to have a set of Goodyear Wranglers on it. I really couldn't handle it at highway speeds. Id' get into a weird little cyclical pattern of correcting back and forth with them, similar to what you're describing. The car would just feel like the back end was loose. After those were replaced with a set of Michelin LTX's the trucklet was as solid as a rock at highway speeds. I'd have to score that as half the tires (since replacing them cured it immediately and completely) and half me, since my wife could drive it and not argue with the tires.
Old 09-08-2015, 07:06 AM
Contributing Member

Received 463 Likes on 309 Posts
Check your lower ball joints yesterday! Saying that because of the outcome of occasional similar posts about weird swaying and what happens when those particular joints fail.
A lot of times there's noise, but not all the time. OEM all the way on those. You don't say how many miles are on the truck...generally replacing them as maintenance around 150,000 miles- or checking them at least- isn't a bad idea though they can last much longer. Peace of mind.
Just a thought.

After clearing those there's your mentioned tie-rod ends and sway bar links and control arm bushings upper, lower, front and rear, sway bar bushings, rack bushings, tires, pressure, loose lugs....etc.
Old 09-15-2015, 06:26 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
My first thought was springs there is a TSB on the rear springs.