Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Pucker Factor?

Old 09-03-2005, 07:54 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Pucker Factor?

Hey, so last night there was a sticky moment getting sideways in a nice washout where the levo was maxed at 45 and felt really unstable, I just have a 2.5" OME lift with 285/75/16 BFG MT. Have an ARB Bull Bar with a 9.5xp winch in it and steel skid's all the way back. wondering if anyone with similar set up knows where to really worry about rolling, cause i know the balls were way up in my stomach last night, heading out tomorrow again so any replies tonight would be cool.

Kyle
Old 09-04-2005, 05:24 AM

It is a HUGE variable. Your Center of Gravity may be a little lower than some with all that weight down low. You were probably pushing your luck there. Tire pressure, suspension, speed will play a factor when it comes to rolling.
Old 09-04-2005, 05:37 AM
Contributing Member

speaking from very recent experience, i was over at approximately 35* in a washout last weekend. i was down on the right side, same side as the gas tank. it was a bit less than half and im thinking it was a good thing it wasnt full or i would have flopped.

its a very disconcerting feeling being over on such a steep angle, as sgirt said, you were fortunate to have weight low. be careful today, we dont want to hear in your next post about having to do body work!

lee
Old 09-04-2005, 06:09 AM
Contributing Member

When I was on the 2005 Locos Mocos trip, I thought for sure I was gonna roll, when my rig pitched sideways on a dirt road. At the time, I was straddling two deep ruts in the rain, with my rear locker engaged, so my ABS would be disabled. When my rear slid to the right it caught the rut and my front slid left once both right side tires were in the ruts it flipped my rig up on two wheels. The passenger mirror seemed like it was about a foot from the ground and I was preparing to end up on my side, as a last second attempt, I turned my steering hard right and floored it. Well needless to say it worked and I ended up back on all four. too bad it wasn't caught on tape
Old 09-04-2005, 08:59 AM

so i didnt roll it, but i didnt quite escape without carnage on a small scale. after getting up one obstacle, the next one did not look like my truck would fit, and so, not wanting to needlessly endanger myself or my truck, i decided to turn around and go the other way. on my way down, i slammed into a muddy embankment (thank god for the ARB) and then somehow wound up slamming my rear fender into a rock, took my mudflap with it and bent my exhaust a little, not too bad, theres a picture here

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...p/APITC006.jpg

and the front bumper on the way out

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v7...p/APITC003.jpg

pics of when it happend on someone elses camera, hopefully ill get them tonight. does anyone else have a problem with the 3rd gen stability? even on like a 30* it still feels bad, and i know its not. i generally dont worry until it hits 40, is there anything you can do to make it feel better on angles?
Old 09-04-2005, 09:22 AM

Glad it turned out alright for you. A few weeks ago I reached 35 and that is enough for me. Did the mirrror ready to touch thing in my 4x4 3/4 ton Suburbon years ago and never did recover from that one. I dropped in a old hand dug well with both wheel's and the other two were off the ground. A friend used his winch and a snatch block to right me up again and just told me not to move.The rolling over doesn't bother me unless it's on the edge of a 150' like I was, Lol.Just glad he was following me that day.
Take it easy out there, it can happen so quick, Mike
Old 09-04-2005, 10:26 AM

now thats its clean i found a few places that no longer have paint on them on the rear bumper, cant wait till i can put a rear bumper on, reroute the exhaust through that for more protection
Old 09-04-2005, 10:29 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
now thats its clean i found a few places that no longer have paint on them on the rear bumper, cant wait till i can put a rear bumper on, reroute the exhaust through that for more protection
when I did my 1" BL I now have the clearance to run my exhaust over the frame and through my bumper

Last edited by FilthyRich; 09-04-2005 at 10:31 AM.
Old 09-05-2005, 11:29 AM

thats a good idea, but wont a BL make my CG higher, and cause the frame to be seen even more from below the body on the side? what does it do to ride quality, and how do those tundra coils ride?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:49 AM

indeed, BL will raise yer c of g - frame showing, yeah. I guess you have a 02 and are worried about that kinda thing, which is fine - but I don't feel / consider mine to be THAT noticable.
DNK re: Tundra coils - i'd be curious - but I just don't know what the performance advantage is vs. the cornfed/ome setup.

ps, your clearing 33"s w/o a body lift?? no rubbing?
Old 09-05-2005, 11:51 AM

Originally Posted by FilthyRich
when I did my 1" BL I now have the clearance to run my exhaust over the frame and through my bumper

eric- do you keep your spare under your truck? just gone for the exhaust photo op?

thanks!
Old 09-05-2005, 01:20 PM

yeah, i clear 285/75/16 with very little rubbing, only at full turn and fully articulated, i had to trim a little, and they still rub a tiny amount, but only when fully flexed, i consider it worth it, when i first got them it rubbed more, 20k on a set of mud terrains tends to make them fit a little better. i get frame rubbing and a arm rubbing, but nothing serious
Old 09-05-2005, 06:55 PM

kyle - that's excellent! and your right....20k WILL make them fit better! How are they wearing for you? I'm considering a set after my Trxus M/T's wear out.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:07 PM
Contributing Member

The only time I've ever used my come-a-long oddly enough was in a situation like that.
Stuck and about to roll, I didn't want to risk rocking the truck to get it unstuck, so I attached the come-a-long between my roof rack and a tree, ratcheted it tight and then tried rocking.

Probably the only thing that got me out of that situation.

Now I don't curse it as much for collecting dust in my cargo area.
Old 09-05-2005, 07:14 PM

they are wearing way better than i ever thought they would, at 20k of 90mph down the highway and 5mph in the mud, i believe i can get another 10-15k of meaty tread, after that it will be time for new shoes but if i had to keep these, i could prob get another 25k out of them, the only time i hate them is when the speed limit is 55, higher or lower and they ride like glass, but they dont like 55-60 in my truck, i got them thru tire kingdom and purchased the lifetime everything, get em rotated and aligned every 6k, and they ride great! ill take a picture tomorrow in the light of what they look like after about 23k
Old 09-05-2005, 07:17 PM

dont you just love being a situation where you know the wrong thing and your rather large investment is just inches from being wrecked, i swear i can think about 100x faster when my baby is at stake
Old 09-05-2005, 07:21 PM

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
they are wearing way better than i ever thought they would, at 20k of 90mph down the highway and 5mph in the mud, i believe i can get another 10-15k of meaty tread, after that it will be time for new shoes but if i had to keep these, i could prob get another 25k out of them, the only time i hate them is when the speed limit is 55, higher or lower and they ride like glass, but they dont like 55-60 in my truck, i got them thru tire kingdom and purchased the lifetime everything, get em rotated and aligned every 6k, and they ride great! ill take a picture tomorrow in the light of what they look like after about 23k
eXactly! my M/t's suck wind from about 40-55 -> supa noisey!

IIRC, i have like 16K on Trxus....they are wearing ok - i suspect I'll get another 10k from them - which I hear is pretty good for a softy Interco brand tire.