Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen E-Locker question...

Search this Thread

Old 07-05-2005, 11:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
3rd gen E-Locker question...

I'm starting to look for a 3rd generation 4Runner to purchase and have been specifically looking for any available between '97-'00 that have the factory installed e-locker. It has been my experience that most dealerships don't know what they have when they have one and rarely advertise it as an installed option if they have one on the lot. I'm looking for a bit of 3rd gen history that will help me with my search. What model(s) on the 3rd gen and in which years was the e-locker an option? I know that anyone who owns a 3rd gen 4Runner can add one, but I'm wondering which vehicles am I mostly likely to find one installed as an option from the factory?

In addition, if I wanted to buy an e-locker and install it on my own, where would I find one? Are salvage yards the only/best option?

Thanks,

Ed
Old 07-05-2005, 11:53 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Hello Ed,

I have a 2000 SR5 Sport model ( Highlander which they called it at the time)
it was the only model 4Runner which had the Hood Scoop and it did come with the Factory locker already installed ...

When I was shopping around during that time, all of the ones I've looked at, only with these particular models had the e-lockers available and already installed... if you do purchase one without-- here is a good link as to how to retrofit the E-locker on a 3rd gen.

http://www.yankeetoys.org/phong/e-locker.html

also if the dealerships don't know if it does come equipped with the factory e-locker try to describe this picture to them below --it should help a bit

http://image32.webshots.com/33/2/10/...5HJjzhz_ph.jpg

Last edited by Noliwan; 07-05-2005 at 11:54 AM.
Old 07-05-2005, 03:55 PM
Contributing Member

Noliwan -> That image link says permission denied.

Anyways, your chances vary from model year to model year, I don't how to make this simple, but I will try.

Factory e-locker available as an option on any model but an SR5 model with an automatic transmission (can still be added on after, just doesn't come from the factory as an option).

Factory e-locker available as an option on any model but an SR5 model with an automatic transmission (can still be added on after, just doesn't come from the factory as an option).

Factory e-locker available as an option on SR5 and limited models.

Factory e-locker available as an option on SR5 and limited models.

I am kind of switching websites to try and get this information straight, I am pretty sure this is as accurate as it gets. Basically, the e-locker was always an option on all (even limited) models, so you just have to look if there is a locker button next to the instrument panel dimmer to the left of the steering wheel.

If you want to research this yourself, here is a good website where I got my info from: http://www.top4runners.com/ja/runhist3.html

Just look at each model year and check out their "full option listings" and search for "Locking Rear Differential" in those pages and it should give you as much info as you need.

I hope I could help, good luck and keep us posted

Markoi
Old 07-05-2005, 04:46 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Excellent info, guys. Thanks for the response. Noliwan, you have the exact vehicle I'm looking for (minus the grill guard) -- can you ball park me on what you paid?

Ed
Old 07-05-2005, 07:05 PM
Contributing Member

Good info Marko. Just to clarify though, I have a 98' SR5 automatic that did come with the factory locker (it was a canadian vehicle, might be the reason why it differs from the info you listed).
Old 07-05-2005, 09:28 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mad Chemist
Good info Marko. Just to clarify though, I have a 98' SR5 automatic that did come with the factory locker (it was a canadian vehicle, might be the reason why it differs from the info you listed).
Yeah that's probably it. Again, I just tried to research and summarize this from whatever info I could come across, I don't even understand why they have to make it so complicated... Can't they just make it optional on all models. I guess it has something to do with marketing slash business slash money slash rich people slash...you get it .

I myself have a '98 SR5 Automatic for the U.S. market that did not come with a factory locker but it does have a "RR DIFF LOCK" light in the dash. That doesn't mean anything, but I am kind of pissed I don't have it. When I bought the runner I didn't even know much about the lockers and not having a locker already got me stuck once and my whole fender ruined ... stupid open differentials

Last edited by marko3xl3; 07-05-2005 at 09:29 PM.
Old 07-05-2005, 09:40 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by marko3xl3
Yeah that's probably it. Again, I just tried to research and summarize this from whatever info I could come across, I don't even understand why they have to make it so complicated... Can't they just make it optional on all models. I guess it has something to do with marketing slash business slash money slash rich people slash...you get it .

I myself have a '98 SR5 Automatic for the U.S. market that did not come with a factory locker but it does have a "RR DIFF LOCK" light in the dash. That doesn't mean anything, but I am kind of pissed I don't have it. When I bought the runner I didn't even know much about the lockers and not having a locker already got me stuck once and my whole fender ruined ... stupid open differentials
marko,
are you sure you don't have it? perhaps its not working?

bob
Old 07-06-2005, 12:14 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Epic Ed
Excellent info, guys. Thanks for the response. Noliwan, you have the exact vehicle I'm looking for (minus the grill guard) -- can you ball park me on what you paid?

Ed
Here is that Pic I wanted you to see so that the dealership would know right off hand if the 4Runner is equipped with the Factory E-locker-- see the RR Diff Lock push button switch...

I bought my Runner brand new in 2000, paid 35k out the door... with all the performance modification I installed over the years, I kinda lost track on how much I've actually spent on the rig... I hate to think about it but I sure can say I am very happy with the out come and all the compliments I get... well worth every penny I spent...

You can look in the kelly blue book on the going cost on this year model... since there are so many options the dealership can add-on--Mine came fully loaded...minus all the blings...