Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd Gen Auto Tranny Shifter Rattle Help Please....

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-2004, 12:43 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd Gen Auto Tranny Shifter Rattle Help Please....

Does anyone know how I might resolve an issue with a rattle in my auto tranny shifter? It seems that there is a fair amount of play in the shifter so when I hit a harsh bump, it rattles. This is driving me nuts. I thought about removing the center console covers to see if I could gain access to the shifter assembly to see if there's anything that I can do but figured I better ask here first to see if I'm wasting my time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Drivie
Old 08-06-2004, 03:03 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by drivie
Does anyone know how I might resolve an issue with a rattle in my auto tranny shifter? It seems that there is a fair amount of play in the shifter so when I hit a harsh bump, it rattles. This is driving me nuts. I thought about removing the center console covers to see if I could gain access to the shifter assembly to see if there's anything that I can do but figured I better ask here first to see if I'm wasting my time.

Any advice is greatly appreciated,

Drivie
do a search... from what i recall its normal.. mine does the same thing.
Old 08-06-2004, 10:04 PM

gn86r,

Thanks for the reply. I have searched and have come up empty on this particular issue with a 3rd gen. I'm not talking about the movement or wiggling that the shifter does while driving, I know that's normal. I had a '97 4Runner before this one and the movement in the shifter while travelling was perfectly normal. This is completely different. There is a fair bit of play in the shifter itself (my '97 had zero play) and it rattles. I can tap it with my finger and make the rattle occur. It's quite obnoxious and I'd like to know if anyone knows if I need to replace a part or tighten something in order to take out the slack/play.

Thanks,

Drivie
Old 11-22-2004, 03:11 PM

Did this ever get resolved for you? Ive got the same problem and unless I have the stereo turned on, it really annoys me. The only time it stopped rattling is last night when I put too much grease in the drive train. It stopped it because it couldnt get into the right gear...read: drive train was too long due to the grease expanding it. When I coulnt get it in park, I let out some of the grease. The damn thing still rattles AND I still have the 'clunk' in my rear when letting off the brake after coming to a stop. Damn, the new Pathfinder is looking better and better these days!!!

Back on track, if anyone has successfully solved/repressed this problem with some sort of retrofit to the shifter, Id love to know before I rip the center console apart and start working on it.

Thx
Old 11-22-2004, 04:01 PM

Fun4Run,

I have not been able to resolve this issue. I find myself instinctively applying a bit of forward pressure to the shifter when starting from a stop to keep it from happening. It sometimes happens while at cruising speed but mostly from a stop while hitting potholes in the road. It's really stinking obnoxious and now I have a dash rattle to go along with it. I'm going to take it to my mechanic soon and let him try to figure it out. Please post back if you ever come up with a solution.

Drivie
Old 11-22-2004, 04:13 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Drivie,

when i purchased my first 99 in 99, i had the same problem. this thing would rock and roll like crazy. i drove it 30 miles and drove it right back. after my incessant b####ing and threats of lemon law lawsuits, they relented and unwound the sale of the car.

now i know that wont solve the problem, but have you taken a look at it yourself? try downloading the manual for your entire vehicle and see what's involved. the manual can be downloaded for $10 off their maintenance site. the link to this site is stickied in our maintenance forum.

i can probably venture a guess that its the thick, rubber bushing. maybe you need to replace it.

bob
Old 11-24-2004, 02:12 PM

"Thick rubber bushing"...I never thought about that. I picked up some electrical tape today and am about to take the center console off and wrap it around the stem of the shifter.

I live in an area with REALLY bad highways so for me the rattling is really obnoxious! Plus its hard to drink my coffee and hold the shifter at the same time!
Old 11-24-2004, 04:21 PM

Follow up: Just took center console cover off and examined shifter. I found the part that is rattling. It appears to be the inside T cable/gate latch that goes up and down when you press the thumb button to shift gears. I couldnt find any way to make it tighter since its one piece. There seems to be just enough play to the point where any quick movement will cause metal on metal noise. If the roads I drive on werent so crappy I wouldnt care so much about this but thats not the case. I guess the bottom line is that is actually a problem with my radio...its just not loud enough.

I always thought my cousin was missing out on a lot of things since he is deaf...sometimes I think he is the fortunate one!