Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen 4runners rear storage space

Old 08-29-2005, 11:13 PM
Tomsriv

3rd gen 4runners rear storage space

I was looking at a picture of a 4runner with the inside panels removed and their is a large empty space behind the wheel well on the driver side. Has anyone ever built a storage space into that area? I was thinking about cutting the plastic and installing some kind of a door so that I could hide tools or jumper cables in there. Or I might just cut a hole and install a subwoofer. I want to keep the floor space clear for carrying various load, or sleeping, so I want to maximize the storage space.
Old 08-29-2005, 11:17 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
You know I am about to do the same thing next weekend. In my 97' (and all 3rd gens) there is ofcourse the small little door on the passenger side that I stuff all kinds of stuff into (some tools, zip ties, flash light, cables...etc).

I am installing a stereo this weekend and plan to mount a 10" woofer in the side there somehow. Im not to sure how yet, but I think/hope it shoudl be done within the next week for sure. I will definitely keep these forums updated as I haven't seen anything like it yet.
Old 08-30-2005, 02:34 AM
Contributing Member

Noliwan has a 10" sub mounted flush with the same area you're talking about but not inside the panel. I believe he has a box made by Qlogic in case this helps.

Originally Posted by noahrexion
You know I am about to do the same thing next weekend. In my 97' (and all 3rd gens) there is ofcourse the small little door on the passenger side that I stuff all kinds of stuff into (some tools, zip ties, flash light, cables...etc).

I am installing a stereo this weekend and plan to mount a 10" woofer in the side there somehow. Im not to sure how yet, but I think/hope it shoudl be done within the next week for sure. I will definitely keep these forums updated as I haven't seen anything like it yet.
Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 AM

Well I figured since you PM'd me about the sub you were curious about the storage space. Review the pics in this thread https://www.yotatech.com/forums/f96/stereo-advice-needed-3rd-gen-long-66768/

and look at tht big black plastic peice on the back of the panel. You could either remove this peice and build your own, or you could do as I did and trim the white peice below it and maybe even just cut away the panel and leave the black peice there and use it as your storage compartment. All you would need to do is add something to the bottom of it and you would be all set. It may look a little ugly with the panel cut away but Im sure you could get a little crative with the cosmetics. You could even cut away the peice and trim it down ever so slightly and make your own door with it by adding some hinges and a latch. This is what I was going to do had I not added a sub back there If you want any individual pics lemme know cause I still have everything apart as I am buttoning up the sub install right now.

AIM - noahrexion