Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen 4Runner and rear mounted power inverter.

Search this Thread

Old 12-14-2008, 07:09 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen 4Runner and rear mounted power inverter.

This is an issue I Have been struggling with for some time. I have multiple inverters but no dedicated spot for mounting. I have a 900W, 1000 or 1500w, and a 2500w. All but the 900 are to larger to be mounted under the seat w/o sticking out. As an on the go adventurer, worker, whatever I have a need for power and the ability to charge. I though about somehow mounting it to the rear roll bar or making a bracket to mount it to my home made fridge slide. I have existing rear power on the outside to the rear. But needs to be plumbed inside. That brings me to my next issue, I need a clean way to bring the + cable inside. ANy ideas or pictures would be great.

Aaron
Old 12-14-2008, 07:28 AM

*subscribed*
Old 12-14-2008, 08:00 AM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Wow you must draw a heck of a lot of power. You already have a Viair air unit I am presuming for tire inflation-I am curious what all else do you power up?

I am not sure I understand the exact question-you are looking for an access/entry point into the body to mount your inverters?

I think you may be using the side ports of the cargo area-I think some folks have found a way to tuck wiring in behind the tail light area-maybe RockSlide has done something like this...

Are you running any kind of dual battery setup? Zero gauge wire all the way from front to back and so on?
Old 12-14-2008, 08:34 AM

i have 0 gauge wire running from my front battery to a blue top in the cargo area, ill take a picture of how the 0 gauge ground enters the cab. be prepared to get a big drill bit and go through your sheet metal though. you can ground to your frame (almost necessary with 0 gauge) and practically enter anywhere in your cab, making running that thick cable nonessential. ill brb after i get some pics for you.
Old 12-14-2008, 08:45 AM

ground point on the frame by the rear lower control arms.

entry point into the cab, underneath the rear drivers side seat, passing by the + cable coming from the battery up front.

place where my bluetop currently resides, yeah, i know i need a new place for it, but thats gonna take some thinking and a rewire job (which i hate doing with this stuff, it just doesnt hide well!

Old 12-14-2008, 08:49 AM

Originally Posted by Ron Helmuth
Wow you must draw a heck of a lot of power. You already have a Viair air unit I am presuming for tire inflation-I am curious what all else do you power up?

I am not sure I understand the exact question-you are looking for an access/entry point into the body to mount your inverters?

I think you may be using the side ports of the cargo area-I think some folks have found a way to tuck wiring in behind the tail light area-maybe RockSlide has done something like this...

Are you running any kind of dual battery setup? Zero gauge wire all the way from front to back and so on?
I want only one inverter (though I have a few), I want it mounted in the back (cargo area). I have 0 or 1 ga. run to the back already but it is outside the vehicle (used a coupler to start a compressor some time back) I Just want to charge my laptop, digi cam, camcorder, and other crap I might need to be charged. I have dual batteries and need to add a National Luna setup sooon. I can ground to just about anything that's not a problem. So in short I want to mount a inverter with a 1 or 0 ga. power lead and want a clean (professional) way to bring power in.

Aaron
Old 12-14-2008, 08:50 AM

let me know if you need any more pictures or ideas aaron, im also looking for a clean way to rewire as i return my truck to as stock (inside) as possible (with the exception of my navi HU)

and i would also like to hardwire one of my larger inverters in the cargo area, right now i just have a little 500W one thrown back there, not even secured.
Old 12-14-2008, 09:32 AM

would be kind of tough but heres an idea, what about running it under the tranny hump carpet and under the rear seats into the cargo area some how. just a thought.
Old 12-14-2008, 10:14 AM

i can already tell you that with 0 gauge your going to see it, best option for a clean install is run it from the front battery under the truck (possibly inside the frame rail) to a point where you can snake it out of the frame and then drill into your floor to bring it in the cab
Old 12-14-2008, 10:17 AM

There is already 1 or 0 Ga. at the rear of the truck connected to a battery. It has been run through the frame I just wanted some ideas as to bringing it in. I was thinking of some sort of power terminals so the inverter could be removed and you were just left with studs for power as apposed to 1-2' of 0 ga.

Aaron
Old 12-14-2008, 12:41 PM

wow dude, GREAT idea! im gonna fab up a little battery box to store my bluetop under the truck back there, and hardwire in my inverter using power terminals!

now the only question is... where to find such terminals, and how to properly insulate them.
Old 12-14-2008, 02:04 PM

Heres the answer and pretty cheap too. As with most items in my truck I like them to be removable if the need were to arise. This would allow the removal of the inverter or in Runnerups case his extra battery.
http://www.westmarine.com/webapp/wcs...9&classNum=119

Aaron
Old 12-14-2008, 02:14 PM

Have a look at what BruceTS did here.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:01 PM

nice find aaron, ill prob. pick those up next week and try them out. i am getting to that phase where i like to be able to remove things to make my truck like stock when the need arises, so my sub box is gone, next is getting that battery out of the way.
Old 12-14-2008, 03:26 PM

Well I ran duals under the hood, I'm using 2 red tops and waiting on a guy on TTORA to make a dual batt. steel holder. I turned them sideway and fabbed up a temp solution.

Aaron
Old 12-14-2008, 05:22 PM

Originally Posted by RunnerUp
i have 0 gauge wire running from my front battery to a blue top in the cargo area, ill take a picture of how the 0 gauge ground enters the cab. be prepared to get a big drill bit and go through your sheet metal though. you can ground to your frame (almost necessary with 0 gauge) and practically enter anywhere in your cab, making running that thick cable nonessential. ill brb after i get some pics for you.
You better use a thick cable to connect your frame to the body since the frame is actually electrically isolated from the body with rubber mounts. The main battery is only grounded to the engine block and body. Both your batteries should share a common ground for best performance.
Old 12-14-2008, 06:01 PM

Originally Posted by JC_ez
You better use a thick cable to connect your frame to the body since the frame is actually electrically isolated from the body with rubber mounts. The main battery is only grounded to the engine block and body. Both your batteries should share a common ground for best performance.
True true!

Aaron
Old 12-15-2008, 12:05 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
xcmountain,

are you referring to the stock inverter? isn't it located in the tailgate?
Old 12-15-2008, 06:05 PM

No no your thinking new 4th gen runners and 2nd or 3rd gen Taco's the 3rd gen Runners have a 12v outlet in the cargo area. I have a couple inverters I use occasionally for whatever whether powering a mobile office or coffee maker or even a sawzall I occasionally have a need for 110v. Thus the need for a more permanent but removable hook up and local for the inverter. I'm thinking on the driver side inside (toward plastic) of the roll in the rear and bring my power pass through's just behind the rear seat (driver side).

Aaron
Old 12-15-2008, 11:39 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
i'm referring to the 3rd gen 4Runner

see diagram below:

Last edited by KZN185W; 12-15-2008 at 11:44 PM.

Quick Reply: 3rd gen 4Runner and rear mounted power inverter.