Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen 4runner : Cheap way to fix stability? (Scary highway feel)

Search this Thread

Old 11-20-2011, 08:50 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen 4runner : Cheap way to fix stability? (Scary highway feel)

Hi guys, I just picked up a 97 4runner SR5 4x4 and have been having stability problems while on the highway. My main concern is that the SUV feels off balance and almost roll prone at high speeds (65mph plus). It feels as if it gets pushed around easy in the wind and would be easy to lose control of. An emergency maneuver at 70 mph feels dangerous.

Two vehicles ago I had a 99 4runner with lower miles that also had the same feeling and I ended up selling the truck because it felt that way. I didnt question buying this one because I thought my old truck was a fluke and had some sort of serious frame problem because it was a salvage vehicle.

On my old truck I ended up changing all 4 end links, replaced the tires, put on new shocks/struts and springs, and changed bushings on the steering rack and bump stops. None of this seemed to really alleviate the problem I was experiencing.

I guess what I would like to know is what is the best fix to help with these symptoms. I know a lot of people have said a complete steering rack is probably the best fix. While others have said just replacing parts of the steering rack or replacing the ball joints did the trick.

I got this truck for very cheap and it is a bit rusty but everything has been reliable on it so far. In that regard I am not to interested in sinking a bunch of money into it. From what I have read, I am thinking of replacing the ball joints because people said that had the most effect on steering feel at higher speeds. Any input would be much appreciated before I do anything.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:10 PM

Yes definitely replace both the lower and upper ball joints, this can have a huge effect on stabilitly. Also check the end links on this one, and both sway bars to make sure they are not damaged in any way.

Don't forget these vehicles are tippy just by their nature, it will never feel like a honda civic. But stock it should never feel life threatening scary at highway speeds, this is definitely not normal.
Old 11-20-2011, 09:51 PM

Thanks, I did replace the end links because its a cheap fix and everything under the truck looks like its been sitting in a wet salt mine for some reason. I am from Wisconsin and see plenty of rusty vehicles but this thing is pretty rough and has a few spots on the frame that make me a bit nervous.

I also lubed up a few of the bushings that I had access to with some grease. I bought the truck for only $1800 and it has only 164k on the clock. I suppose ball joints are not that expensive and if it helps it would be worth it.
Old 11-20-2011, 10:07 PM

I just replaced my lower ball joints with Autozone ball joints, $43.99 each with a lifetime warranty. Cheaper for the uppers, but didnt get those. You should also change out your tie rod ends if they are super rusty, this could be a real safety hazard if they break apart from the rust. $29.99 for the outer, $43.99 for the inner. Again have lifetime warranty.
Old 11-21-2011, 06:30 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Ehh you get used to it, the front end on mine is always fine as I check it every time I change the oil at work. Mine is more like a sailboat especially on windy days but having a roof rack full of lights doesn't help matters any.
Old 11-22-2011, 09:07 PM

I am used to it, but its not fun when there's a snowstorm or something. When I had the 99 runner I was going down the highway one winter and went to change a CD while holding the wheel with my left hand and looked away for a second and when I looked back I the truck was going full tilt to the center. I tried to recover and weaved back and forth several times before doing a couple 360s down the interstate. The truck came to a halt with the engine off about 2 feet from going off an overpass hill. What surprised me is that the truck did not flip.

Anyways I ordered a kit on ebay for a good price that had ball joints and tie rods and all hardware for $90. Im sure its not the best quality but it sure must be better than what im working with.
Old 11-23-2011, 05:30 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
True, It shouldn't feel like that. Mine is tight, not low/rally car tight but still tight. I drive the Colorado mountain roads and highways at 65-70 all the time.

As you said, there are a lot of things that could contribute to the loose feel.
4 end links/tie rod ends (Play will be magnified)
tires (I had some dual groove tires that pulled the rig around)
Air pressure (usually run ~35psi)
new shocks/struts and springs (very important, junk shocks will ruin a ride)
changed bushings on the steering rack (poly bushings can make a world of difference)
bump stops. (don't have anything to do with stability)
Ball joints (known to fail at ~190k, usually doesn't effect stability)
Steering rack guide (can introduce steering play)
Swaybars (are they there? are the end links there?)

*** ONLY USE TOYOTA BALL JOINTS, ALL OTHERS FAIL IN A VERY SHORT TIME***
Old 11-23-2011, 07:30 AM

^^^^ What he said. Both my old 2nd Gen and my new 3rd Gen are rock solid on the highway and in the snow. Going skiing I'll run snow-packed roads at 70. I can feel crosswinds a lot more than in my Alfa Romeo or my wife's Prius, but that's expected. I routinely cross the windiest road in the world (Hwy 93 between Golden and Boulder) and while I often am steering hard into the wind, I never feel like I'm going to get blown off the road. Well, at least not any more than you normally would on that road.

Chris
Old 11-24-2011, 07:51 PM

Originally Posted by GV27
^^^^ What he said. Both my old 2nd Gen and my new 3rd Gen are rock solid on the highway and in the snow. Going skiing I'll run snow-packed roads at 70. I can feel crosswinds a lot more than in my Alfa Romeo or my wife's Prius, but that's expected. I routinely cross the windiest road in the world (Hwy 93 between Golden and Boulder) and while I often am steering hard into the wind, I never feel like I'm going to get blown off the road. Well, at least not any more than you normally would on that road.

Chris
I'm with this guy. I rocket through the desert backroads at 85 and not once do I have an oh ˟˟˟˟ moment. Have a 98 4runner with 228k and it still runs like new.
Old 11-24-2011, 07:58 PM

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts
Shocks?

How long does the truck keep bouncing after you jump off the bumper?
Old 11-25-2011, 05:08 AM

Check out your sway bar bushings and sway bar end links? Or maybe even looked into polyurethane bushings? They are pretty cheap and make quite a difference. I just replaced mine on a '97 4runner that I picked up a few months ago, and it is much more stable at speed now.

Last edited by cjf351; 11-25-2011 at 05:10 AM.
Old 11-25-2011, 03:43 PM

Mine felt unstable on the highway, so while sitting in the driveway I tested the shocks by pushing down on the bumper. It continued bouncing BAD. I replaced them with some Bilsteins today and now it's rock solid at 75mph hitting a pothole.
Old 11-25-2011, 04:56 PM

There are so many things that could cause that, first I would get it up in the air and shake it down. Mine has 5" of lift, 33" tires, and I took the swaybars off and put them in the trash and it's not scary on the highway.