Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3rd gen 4 wheel drive

Search this Thread

Old 11-13-2003, 07:50 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3rd gen 4 wheel drive

I have a 99 four drive Limited. On the 4x4 shifter I have a botton on the sise that says 4wheel drive. If I hit it the 4 wheel drive indicator blinks on and off. Does anyonre know what the button does compared to just pulling it bad in 4 wheel drive with out using the button. Thanks for the help.
Old 11-13-2003, 09:00 AM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Seems to be a lot of posts on this topic. If the wheels are flashing, it's not in AWD yet, as that's all the button does. It does not lock the axles together, only allows them both to have power. Drive a ways and the wheels will stop flashing and you will be in AWD. Pull the stick back and the orange light in the middle should light up, signaling that your center differential is locked and you're now in true 4wd. AWD can be used for the paranoid types who wish they were in a Subaru. Whenever you're in snow or any serious situation where 2wd won't due, use true 4wd (locked center diff) is my advice. The AWD is just a gimmick it seems to me.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:40 AM
Contributing Member

4wd

The button enables the AWD use up to 62mph, and can be used for conditions such as snow and ice on the pavement or asphalt. Indeed, this doesn not lock the center diff, and when driving through slush and snow, you would not want the center diff locked. In this mode, the tires will move from flashing green lights to solid green lights when it is fully engaged. This AWD mode allows you more confidence when you encounter conditions with snow and ice, specifically black ice, when you driving on the street. I used my just this morning to get to work. Here in Santa Fe, the roads have been pretty slick with the recentl snow, and I definitly feel more comfortable having a little more power applied to the front wheels, than no power at all.

When you pull the stick back to the H4 position, the center diff will then lock. You should not drive your 4Runner on the street when in this position, as the center diff when then be in a locked position. In this mode, the 4 green tires will be lit, as wheel as the orange light in the center. With the center diff locked, this is ideal for dirt roads, muddy roads, snow covered dirt and gravel roads. Basically, dirt roads.

When putting your transfer case into 4wd low, you will need to make sure you auto is in neutral, then shift into low 4wd. Of course, with low 4wd, you can't go too fast, and should only really be used for maximum traction. And, the factory E-locker will only engage in low 4, if you have not modified it.

Hope this helps.
Old 11-13-2003, 11:57 AM

Thanks

Thanks for taking the time to explain that to me. I most say your rig has everything I'm looking to do to mine.
Thanks again
Chris
Old 11-13-2003, 11:58 AM
Contributing Member

AWD is better for just slick conditions where 4WD is overkill. AWD senses a wheel slipping and pulls power away from that wheel till it stop slipping so power is only applied to the wheels that are gripping. (just like the commercial says)

My AWD Eclipse had better control in under 8 inches of snow than a regular 4wd truck and I drove it against my friend's Taco and he couldn't keep up with me on the back roads where we were messing around. AWD isn't for off road but in situations where the road is slick with ice or sand AWD is a good thing and not a gimmick. Check out the off road rally cars,they use AWD as opossed to true 4WD.
Old 11-13-2003, 12:59 PM
Contributing Member

AWD, pretty nice item to have when the weather gets slippery.

I really like the AWD on my Limited.

NVRSASTK,
I can help you along with that endeavor. Want to buy a rear bumper?????
Old 11-13-2003, 02:29 PM
E1

That's why I love this place me the toyota greenhorn is learing alot. I didn't know the difference between the button and H4 on my 98 Limited, but I do now! Sue me I come from a GM background

Last edited by E1; 11-13-2003 at 02:31 PM.
Old 11-13-2003, 02:33 PM
CTB

Originally posted by E1
I didn't know the difference between the button and H4 on my 98 Limited, but I do now!
But I didn't think there was the AWD option in '98. So, there shouldn't have been the button on your 4WD lever?!?!?
Old 11-13-2003, 07:07 PM
E1

Originally posted by CTB
But I didn't think there was the AWD option in '98. So, there shouldn't have been the button on your 4WD lever?!?!?
Yep a 98 Limited with L4-N-H4 and a 4WD button on the left side of the lever. Do I have a misfit 98 or a 98.5???
Old 11-14-2003, 12:00 AM

I just bought a '98 limited this week. It also has the button on the main shifter. You're not alone...
Old 11-14-2003, 06:15 AM

The button on the 98 and the 99 doesn't do exactly the same thing(4WD vs AWD). My wife just got a 99 Limited and here is what I found:
1998 4-RUNNER 4WD
Toyota's 4WDemand shift-on-the-fly engagement system comes standard on all four-wheel drive 4Runner models, enabling the part-time four-wheel drive system to be engaged at speeds up to 50 mph. A One-Touch Hi-4 switch, available exclusively on 4Runner Limited models, makes shifting into high-4WD as easy as a touch of a button. All four-wheel drive 4Runners are equipped with a two-speed transfer case.

1999 4-RUNNER 4WD
Toyota's 4WDemand shift-on-the-fly engagement system comes standard on all four-wheel drive 4Runner models, enabling the part-time four-wheel drive system to be engaged at speeds up to 50 mph. A One-Touch Hi-4 switch, available exclusively on 4Runner Limited models, makes shifting into high-4WD as easy as a touch of a button. All four-wheel drive 4Runners are equipped with a two-speed transfer case.

For 1999, 4Runner Limited models receive a new multi-mode 4WD system as standard. The new multi-mode 4WD feature is actually a full-time all-wheel-drive system with 2WD capability. The all-wheel 4WD mode may be used in normal driving conditions on all types of roads from dry, hard surface roads, such as pavement, to wet, icy or snow-covered roads. Driving with the new multi-mode's all-wheel drive system engaged provides the driver with a more controlled, sure-footed feel to the road because power is applied evenly to all four wheels thus improving traction.

To switch from 2WD to the all-wheel 4WD mode, simply reduce the vehicle's speed to less than 62 mph and push in the One-Touch "4WD" button located on the front drive control lever knob (on the transfer case the all-wheel 4WD mode is indicated as "H4"). Returning to the 2WD mode is just as easy, depress the "4WD" button once more and the vehicle is again operating in 2WD.
Old 11-14-2003, 11:42 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by Highland Runner

Driving with the new multi-mode's all-wheel drive system engaged provides the driver with a more controlled, sure-footed feel to the road because power is applied evenly to all four wheels thus improving traction.

Pretty good gimmick!!