Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.5 bore on throttle body? Rich/Lean

Search this Thread

Old 06-16-2004, 07:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.5 bore on throttle body? Rich/Lean

Hey all,

I have a 92 4x4 2.4L 22-RE, It has headers, highflow cat, cat-back system, K&N box kit, efi stock replacement cam, and I'm pushing 33x12.5 coopers with stock gears. I'm thinking about putting in a 3.5 bored throttle body to replace the stock one, but I've herd problems about it making the engine run too rich or lean. Do you know anythign about this? Thanks in advance.

Maverick
Old 06-16-2004, 08:08 AM

With the stock cam and I assume stock valves, I don't think you would gain anything by going with the big bore throttle body. You have to have something more sucking in the air to make the big bore pay off.
What little gains you may have in air flow would tend to make the engine run lean since you are introducing more air. You can do some correcting for this by changing the setting on the mass air sensor. You have to cut the seal, loosen a clip and adjust the gear to do this.
If you live in a smog laws state, I believe as soon as you cut that seal, you won't pass inspection.
It's isn't cheap, but if you are going to do a bunch of engine mods I would vote for modding the ECU through somebody like JET Chip. Adjusting the air flow is a hit or miss proposition really while the ECU reprogramming can really tune the motor properly.
I would venture though that with a stock cam and head, it probably isn't worth the $.
Old 06-16-2004, 04:03 PM
Contributing Member

I would upgrade the cam.

Old 06-17-2004, 06:21 AM

[QUOTE=Fahrenheit 451]With the stock cam and I assume stock valves, I don't think you would gain anything by going with the big bore throttle body. You have to have something more sucking in the air to make the big bore pay off.
What little gains you may have in air flow would tend to make the engine run lean since you are introducing more air. You can do some correcting for this by changing the setting on the mass air sensor. You have to cut the seal, loosen a clip and adjust the gear to do this.
If you live in a smog laws state, I believe as soon as you cut that seal, you won't pass inspection.
It's isn't cheap, but if you are going to do a bunch of engine mods I would vote for modding the ECU through somebody like JET Chip. Adjusting the air flow is a hit or miss proposition really while the ECU reprogramming can really tune the motor properly.
I would venture though that with a stock cam and head, it probably isn't

Well I put in the efi cam from LC engineering, it's supposed to be a stock replacement upgrade, what type of chip can you reccomend? Thanks

Maverick
Old 06-17-2004, 06:21 AM

Originally Posted by AgRunner06
I would upgrade the cam.

I put an efi stock upgrade in from LC engineering.
Old 06-21-2004, 08:16 AM

[QUOTE=Fahrenheit 451]With the stock cam and I assume stock valves, I don't think you would gain anything by going with the big bore throttle body. You have to have something more sucking in the air to make the big bore pay off.

So you reccomend Jet Chip, are there any other brands you think are good? And can I put them in myself or do I have to send the computer away for a couple of days? Thanks in advance

Maverick
Old 06-21-2004, 11:26 AM

[QUOTE=Maverick]
Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
With the stock cam and I assume stock valves, I don't think you would gain anything by going with the big bore throttle body. You have to have something more sucking in the air to make the big bore pay off.

So you reccomend Jet Chip, are there any other brands you think are good? And can I put them in myself or do I have to send the computer away for a couple of days? Thanks in advance

Maverick
I did the JET Chip on mine and have been satisfied with it. Depending on the year of your vehicle, you have to send in the ECU since some do not have easily removed chips. On my '85 I think they had to desolder the chip, reprogram then reinstall it.
There are other outfits that do ECU modding including some that eliminate the ECU completely for a user operated control system. Personally, I'm not up for that. I would prefer the ECU take care of business.
Do a search on the net on ECU modifications. You will have to dig through a lot of Honda and other ricer posts, but you should find plenty of info.
I think the JET Chip currently runs around $400. It's a ton of money, but if you have a $4000 worth of motor/work depending in it, it is worthwhile.
There is a cheaper unit they sell that goes inbetween the motor and ECU that may provide enough for what you are looking for. Drop them an email or give them a call and see what they have to say.
Old 06-21-2004, 12:32 PM
Contributing Member

What gears are you running with your 33's? You said stock gears so I would assume 4.10's? With the 22re I would think you should be running 4.88's, that would help get you some power back I would think.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:45 PM

I'll prob. just put in a jet chip, if that seems to be the most reliable way. I just want a simple mod, that won't cause any long term negative effects. Thanks

Maverick

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
I did the JET Chip on mine and have been satisfied with it. Depending on the year of your vehicle, you have to send in the ECU since some do not have easily removed chips. On my '85 I think they had to desolder the chip, reprogram then reinstall it.
There are other outfits that do ECU modding including some that eliminate the ECU completely for a user operated control system. Personally, I'm not up for that. I would prefer the ECU take care of business.
Do a search on the net on ECU modifications. You will have to dig through a lot of Honda and other ricer posts, but you should find plenty of info.
I think the JET Chip currently runs around $400. It's a ton of money, but if you have a $4000 worth of motor/work depending in it, it is worthwhile.
There is a cheaper unit they sell that goes inbetween the motor and ECU that may provide enough for what you are looking for. Drop them an email or give them a call and see what they have to say.
Old 07-05-2004, 01:47 PM

Originally Posted by 914runner
What gears are you running with your 33's? You said stock gears so I would assume 4.10's? With the 22re I would think you should be running 4.88's, that would help get you some power back I would think.

Yea, I've been meaning to do the gears but it costs so much, and takes so long, I just haven't had the $ or time, so I've been doing every other mod instead. Currently I'm upgrading the front brakes.