Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.4L TRD Grey Supercharger Vacc Hose Routing Question

Search this Thread

Old 08-05-2013, 07:51 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.4L TRD Grey Supercharger Vacc Hose Routing Question

Hi,

I've done extensive research all over the interwebs, but it's just making me more confused. I've got a 1st Gen (grey) charger rebuilt and ready to install, but I can't figure out how to route vac lines to three fitting on the charger

1).boost line 1
2).boost port 2
3).bypass valve actuator

Gadget lists it this way on his site, where boost line 1 goes to the Fuel Pressure Regulator, and the bypass valve actuator and boost port 2 are connected with a vacuum line:

BUT...mine came this way and have seen pics on the net of it hooked up where boost line 1 and boost port 2 are hooked up and the bypass valve actuator is T-ed into the Evap line like this:
Click for full-size image (1023 x 575)

The diagram on the 1st Gen install sheet makes a mention of it and says "bypass valve T-ed here", but then what do I do with boost port 2?

Thoroughly confused and need help.

Thanks!

Old 08-06-2013, 03:27 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Odd, the actuator should go to the port under the by-pass valve. The other boost port you use for everything else.
Old 08-06-2013, 04:59 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Odd, the actuator should go to the port under the by-pass valve. The other boost port you use for everything else.
So hook it up like Gadget has in the first pic?

-bypass valve actuator to boost port 2

-boost line 1 to fuel pressure regulator

-block off throttle tube silencer nipple (the stock vaccum fitting for the fuel pressure regulator).

Does that sound right? Thanks a bunch Texas Ace. I've really enjoyed your videos and am saving up for meth injection based on your experience.
Old 08-06-2013, 05:09 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yeah that sounds right, been a long time since I messed with it. If you look closely at my videos you should be able to see how I had mine setup.
Old 08-20-2013, 03:37 AM

I hooked it up the way you and Gadget have it. Truck has about 300 miles on it post-charger and runs great, although I threw a PO171 once. I used O'Reilly hoses, though, and some are not a tight fit. I've got LCE silicone hoses on the way along with an oil catch can for the PCV. I'm hoping that should take care of it.

Thanks for the help, Texas Ace!
Old 12-29-2017, 07:25 PM

You can't go wrong following Gadgets advice @ URDUSA. He seems to be the forerunner (no pun intended) on researching & solving problems related to installing TRD 1st gen superchargers. The 'charger is a great low end performance booster but leaves you short of power @ the top end for lack of fuel. Adding more air without increasing fuel delivery makes for lean conditions which starve the engine for fuel under hard throttle. Lean also means hot, and out here in Arizona hot is the last thing we need more of. Using Gadgets vacuum line routing suggestion did enhance the fuel pressure enough to stop the pinging, and I gained 10 mph under full throttle. Still short of the 108mph that the speed limiter is set to, but who needs to drive that fast anyway?
If you keep throwing the lean code with the check engine light take it somewhere to have the system checked with a smoker. It will find any vacuum leaks that need to be fixed. Mine was addressed in this section (leaking O-rings in the by-pass elbow assembly). Once again a quick email to Gadget solved the problem (along with a $13. can of Right Stuff Gasket Maker) Gadget was right, it comes out of the pressurized can like Cheese Whiz - worked great!
It's always nice to find friendly people with helpful advice out there in Toyota land....Jim