Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 gettin new HG's

Search this Thread

Old 01-08-2004, 03:14 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 gettin new HG's

im sure its probably old news to you experienced wrench-heads but i stopped by the shop where my 4runner is getting new HG's at and saw the engine torn down to just the block.

it was pretty cool. i've never seen an engine torn down that far before. i've always had an interest in the nitty gritty stuff involved in serious auto repair but i've never had the time or money to get into it like what i saw at the shop.

the guy who owns the shop ( and who is also the head mechanic there) let me come out back and showed me his progress in the tear down. even after 157k miles the valves, lifters, cams, and caps looked in very good shape.

turns out the side that was leaking oil also had 2 loose head bolts. id bet money that the toyota tech who did the recalled HG job back a few years ago was the new guy there. unfortunetly i wasnt the owner of the truck when that was done otherwise i might have had a few words wiht them about that.

anyway.............i was just thought it was pretty cool to see the inside of the engine like that and had to write about it.

anyone else get this excited about their truck??
Old 01-08-2004, 03:32 PM

When my dad and I rebuilt his 350 and again when we were building his 355 crate motor for his chevelle I learned a ton about engines. Its very cool looking down into the internals of the engine. Just thinking about all the engineering required, figuring out how the lobes will pulsate and how to get their position right to produce the right timing... Very cool.

I get excited most when I see a tech driving my truck out to me. I never let anyone else drive it, so I barely get to see what it looks like rolling away, when I see the tech in it, with the wheels slowly spinning, it gets me smiling!
Old 01-09-2004, 12:50 AM
Contributing Member

I hate watching anyone drive my baby; I can't stand how some people abuse the clutch disc I feel like I am the only one who will drive my truck the right way, because I take extra precautions to make sure I don't slip the clutch. I doubt a tech would even care... and when I do see one driving my 'yota, it almost like getting punched; it feels like all my efforts to go easy on the clutch are being thrown out by wreckless driving.

More specifically, when they are trying to move the car slowly, they always add way more gass than neccessary , causing slippage when all they really have to do is just release the clutch pedal a little bit or just press a bit of gas and listen to the car and when it needs more gas.

Old 01-09-2004, 06:00 AM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Re: 3.0 gettin new HG's

Originally posted by AverysDad
im sure its probably old news to you experienced wrench-heads but i stopped by the shop where my 4runner is getting new HG's at and saw the engine torn down to just the block.

it was pretty cool. i've never seen an engine torn down that far before. i've always had an interest in the nitty gritty stuff involved in serious auto repair but i've never had the time or money to get into it like what i saw at the shop.

the guy who owns the shop ( and who is also the head mechanic there) let me come out back and showed me his progress in the tear down. even after 157k miles the valves, lifters, cams, and caps looked in very good shape.

turns out the side that was leaking oil also had 2 loose head bolts. id bet money that the toyota tech who did the recalled HG job back a few years ago was the new guy there. unfortunetly i wasnt the owner of the truck when that was done otherwise i might have had a few words wiht them about that.

anyway.............i was just thought it was pretty cool to see the inside of the engine like that and had to write about it.

anyone else get this excited about their truck??
They had trouble with the head bolts on the 2nd gens, you might consider upgrading to stronger head studs to prevent any future loosening. This was a common thing on those vehicles and dramatically reduces the chance of having another head gasket leak again.