Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

3.0 to 3.4?

Old 11-25-2005, 08:11 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
3.0 to 3.4?

Ok so after looking around this site and with my own experance the 3.0 is the worst motor toyota ever built. So now i'm thinking about swapping out to the 3.4. how would all this work with calif. law .Would It require everything like the cruise control computer everything under the hood or what?. So just go down to the wrecker an get everything. does it bolt right in and to the tranny? I sure would like to dump the 3.0.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:17 PM

Use the search... There is a TON of info on this site about this swap.

One of the best links available is this one, an article on 4x4wire that pretty much covers everything in the swap.

http://www.4x4wire.com/forums/showfl...=&fpart=1&vc=1

As for direct bolt in... Yes the block bolts directly in to the 3VZE motor mounts. It also bolts directly up to the 5spd tranny thats mated with the 3VZE, which is the R150F. I am unsure if it bolts directly to the auto tranny though. Auto is a harder swap FYI. There are little things that have to be modified, the wiring is a royal PITA, but not hard, but anyways it is all covered in that article.

Oh, and there are swap kits available to make everything easy, but they are kinda pricey, i forget the company that makes it (ORS?). A link is available in the search, but somebody might chime in with the link and company name.

Last edited by MorphiasX; 11-25-2005 at 08:19 PM.
Old 11-25-2005, 08:30 PM

thanks alot this sounds like the thing to do. how are the head gaskets holding up on 3.4?
Old 11-25-2005, 09:03 PM

I dont have my 3.4 swap as of yet, it is still in the drawing book for me due to funds... But to my knowledge head gaskets are not an issue as they are with the 3.0. Keep in mind that the 3.4 was designed for the high compression of the TRD supercharger.
Old 11-26-2005, 12:56 AM

For the one question,"How would all this work w/CA law?", check your door jam to find out if your car is applicable to all federal and CA emissions or just federal emissions. If just federal emissions then you can get a 3.4 w/all its smog components from a car that is from anywhere is the USA. But if your car is applicable to federal and CA emissions then you have to get a 3.4 w/all its smog components from a CA car only. So now when you get your car smogged it basically has to pass as the car the engine was orginally on. Like if you got your engine from a 2000 toyota tacoma and your have a 1990 toyota 4runner your 4runner has to pass smog as a tacoma. Hope this helps!!!
Old 11-26-2005, 01:25 AM

yea i was kind of afraid of somthing like that. my friend back in utah just had his 99 taco t- boned and i know he didn't bye it in utah. i have to wait til wed. to find out. thanks for your help
Old 11-26-2005, 01:46 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
The 3vze is not the worst engine Toyota ever built. It's only the worst engine in your eyes because you have a 150 HP engine moving a 4000 pound truck with a fully boxed heavy duty steel frame and a vehicle with sheet metal that is probably twice as thick to what they use in new rigs today! Considering the fact that it is a proven reliable engine and it was designed in the mid 80's I think it's a great engine, especially for what it has to lug around.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:14 AM

Originally Posted by MorphiasX
But to my knowledge head gaskets are not an issue as they are with the 3.0. Keep in mind that the 3.4 was designed for the high compression of the TRD supercharger.
Incorrect on both counts. The 3.4 had HG issues in 95.5 and early 96. The recall is called the X06 campaign.

And the 3.4 was not designed for the supercharger at all - the SC came well after the 3.4 was out, and cannot be efficiently used w/o a ton of fuel mods to make up for the poor combination of the S/C and 3.4.
Old 11-26-2005, 07:18 AM

Originally Posted by MorphiasX
As for direct bolt in... Yes the block bolts directly in to the 3VZE motor mounts. It also bolts directly up to the 5spd tranny thats mated with the 3VZE, which is the R150F. I am unsure if it bolts directly to the auto tranny though. Auto is a harder swap FYI. There are little things that have to be modified, the wiring is a royal PITA, but not hard, but anyways it is all covered in that article.
Auto is no harder than the 5-speed as long as you go through the tranny and upgrade a lot of components - the A340H is not really up to the job of the 3.4. Search on TeamShiftPoint here or on 4x4 wire for details on a 3.4 to a340H swap. He's done a lot of work in this area.
Old 11-26-2005, 09:30 AM

Originally Posted by rockota
Auto is no harder than the 5-speed as long as you go through the tranny and upgrade a lot of components - the A340H is not really up to the job of the 3.4. Search on TeamShiftPoint here or on 4x4 wire for details on a 3.4 to a340H swap. He's done a lot of work in this area.
I think that the auto swap would be harder cause the fact is that you would have to modify the tranny to work with the 3.4. If you don't know how to work on an auto tranny than you'll end up having to pay. If the 3.4 tranny is used and you rig is 4x4 then you'll need a custom adapter, a 4cyl xfer case, and custom driveshafts. This can add more money and time to your swap. Also there is more to the wiring.
I just figured it would be easier to swap in a manual and skip dealing with the extra stuff. Only cost me about $300 for the manual swap and a couple of days to do it myself.
Old 11-28-2005, 09:58 PM

And the 3.4 was not designed for the supercharger at all - the SC came well after the 3.4 was out, and cannot be efficiently used w/o a ton of fuel mods to make up for the poor combination of the S/C and 3.4.
Umm well The Z in 5VZ designates supercharging according to the actual Toyota engine code. There are several things that indicate Toyota had FI in mind when they designed the 3.4L. There is a knock sensor in the middle of each cyl bank. A knock responce unit in the ECU that operates exctly the same as the GTE ECU's. The engine has extremely beefy rods for a NA application. In fact if you hold the rod next to a 3s-GTE rod, they look almost identical.

The supercharger was not intended to be run at a higher pressure than reccomended by toyota. At stock boost levels the ECU does an amazing job of pulling timing to keep the motor from blowing itself up with our crappy low octane US fuels. Toyota squeezed everly last drop out of the stock system. Granted they overlooked the fact that our fuels are a few points lower in octain than they are in Japan so everyone assumes that the engine was not intended for the SC. Nobody thinks that its possible that TRD goofed and set the boost pressure too high on the US supercharger.

Sorry for the long explination LOL
Old 11-28-2005, 10:06 PM
Contributing Member

Incorrect on both counts. The 3.4 had HG issues in 95.5 and early 96. The recall is called the X06 campaign.

Fuel delivery/availabilty don't have anything to do with how an engine can handle compression. What's it matter if an engine if an engine can supply gallons of fuel a second if when you blow into the intake it blows into pieces?

Maybe it is not true that the 3.4 wasn't desinged for a SC, but it was sure desinged for more than NA operation.
Old 11-28-2005, 10:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by node
Umm well The Z in 5VZ designates supercharging according to the actual Toyota engine code. There are several things that indicate Toyota had FI in mind when they designed the 3.4L. There is a knock sensor in the middle of each cyl bank. A knock responce unit in the ECU that operates exctly the same as the GTE ECU's. The engine has extremely beefy rods for a NA application. In fact if you hold the rod next to a 3s-GTE rod, they look almost identical.

The supercharger was not intended to be run at a higher pressure than reccomended by toyota. At stock boost levels the ECU does an amazing job of pulling timing to keep the motor from blowing itself up with our crappy low octane US fuels. Toyota squeezed everly last drop out of the stock system. Granted they overlooked the fact that our fuels are a few points lower in octain than they are in Japan so everyone assumes that the engine was not intended for the SC. Nobody thinks that its possible that TRD goofed and set the boost pressure too high on the US supercharger.

Sorry for the long explination LOL
Just one question... 3VZ (the 2nd gen 4runner one)? Never got supercharged...
Old 11-28-2005, 10:39 PM

the VZ designation applies to the engine itself, the electronics including the fuel system and ECU fall outside that designation. So, toyota just didnt provide enough additional fuel capacity with the 3.0 ECU for a "inexpensive" supercharger system. The camry guys have proved that the bottom end of the 3VZ can indeed handle a lot of boost in stock form with added fuel.