Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd Gen Hood Scoop

Search this Thread

Old 02-20-2003, 08:09 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2nd Gen Hood Scoop

Alright guys I've had hood scoop envy for a long time. I just never really thought much about it cause I said well not many other 2nd gens have scoops so why should I? But this picture draws the line. I was looking for ideas for my girlfriends car (a soon to be camry) and I found this. Mind you it is great body work to incorporate the scoop so nicely. But if a Camry can hace a 4runner hood scoop (yes it is a 2002 hood scoop) then why can't I? Haha...okay so I'm whining, but this really makes me want one.
Old 02-20-2003, 09:20 PM

I've wanted a hood scoop or a hood with a scoop for a while now. Not sure if I'll ever get to it, it's not really a huge priority, but they are pretty cool. I like the one on that camry...real nice!
Old 02-21-2003, 05:42 AM
Contributing Member

ive been thinknig about hood scoops since i saw a few posts on it , what i was thinking and it might look a little odd , but doing the deck plate mod and adding a tunnel ram type hood scoop to the deck plate mod , creating essentially a cold air intake type system , plumbing the hood scoop to the deck plate might be a pain , but i think it could be done with a little work , my only problem with this would be the factthat the hood scoop would be up front on the passneger side ( at least it would be on my 96 t-100) maybe even going with a smaller scoop so it didnt look too bad . but would this be something that could increase hp?

erik b of oregon
Old 02-21-2003, 05:44 AM
Contributing Member

oh yeah i for got to mention wit hthis type of mod it wouldnt be that great of an idea for hard core water crossings unless you made it so that you could disconnect it and plug the deck plate wit hits cover , when you did water or mud crossings . which could be done fairly easy too i think .
erik b of oregon
Old 02-21-2003, 05:53 AM

This is probably the scoop on the Camry. It's just like the 4 Runners:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...&category=6766
Old 02-21-2003, 06:04 AM

You may be right pfdaxe but the guy said that it was off a 2002 4runner. He may have bought that scoop and figured no one would notice, or he may have indeed used a scoop off a 4runner. I guess there's really no telling unless you were to see it in person. Since that scoop is fiberglass.
Old 02-27-2003, 04:48 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by runninclean
You may be right pfdaxe but the guy said that it was off a 2002.
I didn't think the 4runners hood curved around the lights like that and I thought they still have the groove on each side. that one has a slight bend. it just doesn't look like a 4runner hood to me. If it's fiberglass, then my opinion is that the guy had it made and that it really isn't for a 4runner. there would be big gaps above the 4runner headlights with that hood. oh, by the way, I got "hood scoop envy" too.
Old 02-27-2003, 06:54 AM

Keiser-I wasn't saying that it's a full 4runner hood. That is plainly obvious. However the scoop is from a 4runner. It was molded into the existing hood to give it a seemless appearence. Its just a Toyota Camry hood with a 4runner hood scoop molded on.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:00 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by runninclean
Keiser-I wasn't saying that it's a full 4runner hood. That is plainly obvious. However the scoop is from a 4runner. It was molded into the existing hood to give it a seemless appearence. Its just a Toyota Camry hood with a 4runner hood scoop molded on.
I understand now, ruiningclean, thanks.
Old 02-27-2003, 10:37 AM

for drag racers, they make hoodscoop/hood snorkel plugs. Im sure you could incorporate something for that for deep river crossings. Oh, and about the deckplate mod, with a scoop, you really wouldnt even need one. well, except for the filtration part. But Im sure with all the creativity running amok on these forums, you could figure out a a trick straight, in-line filter induction type tube plummed straight to your TB. Or, if you want to stick with your dp mod, following what airrikk17 said, you could always offset the scoop, so you could connect mor directly. youd have to figure out how to creat a slip in design for hood opening though. examing muscle cars, they had a round extension from the hood slightly bigger than the filter element for the carb coming straight down from the scoop, that slipped over the filter when the hood was closed. its been a while since i eyeballed ones with scoops, but im thinkin i got the general idea. OH EVEN BETTER! make a shaker hood for your 'yota. Man, would that be bad ass or what?! wait..you dont got a carb..damn . im sure somethin could be fabbed tho muahahaha.

check this out.
And if your not too hell bent on scoops, and can go with cowl induction, looky here
BUT, if your absolutely wanting scoops, theres these ..not EXACTLY like 3rd gen, jbut some interesting ideas

i had this on an '85 nissan 720 w/ a weber 32/36 DGEV carb...let me tell you! talk about head turns....nismo, 'vette style