Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2nd Gen airbox mod done

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-2003, 12:05 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
2nd Gen airbox mod done

Yesterday I completed my airbox mod, thanks for the write up Joey. I could not believe the amount of dead bugs in the bottom of the box. So I cleaned it out, took out the front shield and pipe and drilled a bunch of 5/16 in. holes in the bottom. Will let you know if it changes the performance aspects as soon as I can get the truck out. Weather real bad right now. Got some questions.

1. What is that little black box next to the air cleaner that has a hose going from it to the cleaner?

2. What is the electrical connector on top of the cleaner for?

3. Does the 2nd Gen have a MAF sensor?

I also checked out the throttle body and it looked real clean, so I guess the K&N is doing its job. All-in-all it was a real easy mod to do.
Old 05-27-2003, 12:10 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
could someone post pictures of this and show me what the MAF and throttle body are and where they are located?
Old 05-27-2003, 12:51 PM
Contributing Member

Paul to answer your questions my dad told me when he was building my ISR tube that the little black box with the hose has charcoal inside it and it absorbs fumes that come out of your engine after you shut it off he's pretty reliable but could be wrong. It get's removed with either the ISR mod or the K&N FIPK kit. The electrical connector on top of the airbox is called the Volume Airflow meter(VAM). I believe it does the same thing as a MAF so that's what most people call it including me. It's all a case of terminology I guess. It measures the amount of air flowing through the intake system. It is used by the ECM to calulate air/fuel mixture. The ECM is the electronic control module i.e. the brains of your truck. I don't think 2nd Gen's have a MAF so to speak.

Doink go out and have someone step on the gas of your truck while you watch under the hood. The part that moves is the throttle cable opening the butterfly thats in your Throttle body. It right on top of your engine more towards the drivers side and has the big tube coming from your airbox attached to it. For the rest of your question see above.

I know there are some engine fruit loops on here that can probably give a much more accurate and technical description than me quoting junk out of my Chiltons...

Last edited by UKMyers; 05-27-2003 at 01:01 PM.
Old 05-27-2003, 01:11 PM

Re: 2nd Gen airbox mod done

Paul: I don't know the answers to the first two question but yes our 2nd Gens have a MAF sensor.

Originally posted by Paul H.
Yesterday I completed my airbox mod, thanks for the write up Joey........... All-in-all it was a real easy mod to do.
I'm glad to hear that the mod was easy. I am looking at doing the same thing on my '91 Runner. Where did you get the materials to do the mod? Did you go to a muffler shop to get your intake tube fabricated?

David
Old 05-27-2003, 01:15 PM
Contributing Member

Dave were just talking of removing a few stock pieces and drilling holes. Your referring to the ISR mod. If you read blu's write up he talks about how he fabbed his up. The one I have coming is handmade out of fiberglass using a mold. My dad is quite handy when it comes to this stuff. Pretty impressive considering my truck is 5000 miles away. He spend a whole day at a junkyard taking measurments and learning where everything went. I should have it installed soon. It's painted white so people no it's not stock!! bling bling
Old 05-27-2003, 02:11 PM

Thanks Joey. It's been a long day....I'm trying to start the week after a long weekend of remembering and being thankful for folks like you and others that are or have served in the Armed Forces.

I printed out blu's write-up several months ago but have yet to perform that mod. It sounds like you'll have a sweet intake tube that'll match your Runner's white paint job!

I'll have to do a search and see what drilling the air box mod is all about. It sounds like it's a trick that my Porsche buddies do on their 911's to get more air through the factory airbox by taking a hole-saw and drilling holes in the plastic housing (up stream of the filter). That made a difference in 911's performance and also made those cars have a nice intake rumble too.

Thanks again
David
Old 05-27-2003, 02:34 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I guess nobody's crazy enough to do what I did to mine a while back:

Old 05-27-2003, 02:46 PM

Originally posted by Churnd
I guess nobody's crazy enough to do what I did to mine a while back:

I'm crazy enough to think about it hehe. The minute I realized how fun this mod was, I started thinking about cutting out the ENTIRE bottom and most of the side on the back....maybe I will even do that!
Old 05-27-2003, 03:23 PM
Contributing Member

What size drill bit are you packin' son?
Old 05-27-2003, 04:41 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Thanks for the info Joey.
Old 05-27-2003, 05:41 PM

Originally posted by gwhayduke

What size drill bit are you packin' son?
I think that one was a 15 incher.