Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

285 in Spare - I searched

Search this Thread

Old 12-10-2005, 02:04 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
285 in Spare - I searched

I am buying 5 285 MTR's for my daughters 4 runner. (shhhhh, its a present)

In searching I read that a 305 fir in the spare slot if you remove the hitch

Others have said it will fit if you let air out.

The hitch provides protection in place of steel bumper (later) for wheeling at Moab and other locations so, I don't want to remove the hitch until she gets a bumper.

Unlike my LX450 (80 series Land Cruiser), I know that you can run a slightly smaller spare on the 4 runner for short distances to get it repaired, i.e her current 275 (31") tire.

So, I can do one of the following:

1) Use the existing spare until she gets a bumper and put the 5th tire in the garage
2) Put the spare on and see if I can make it fit by letting air out. Not sure I am comfortable with this option.

Or, was I mistaken in the search that the hitch MUST be removed for a 285 MTR with air won't fit.

I spent about an hour going through all the info with search and some of it was conflicting, so I thought I would just ask the question.

Those on IH8MUD know my daughter as daughterofromer.

Thanks,

Ken
Old 12-10-2005, 02:32 PM
Ric
Banned - User requested

the only way i was getting mine to fit, was remove the reciever hitch, which i did.
Old 12-10-2005, 06:23 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by Romer
So, I can do one of the following:

1) Use the existing spare until she gets a bumper and put the 5th tire in the garage
Yeup, no problem with this - remember, we're talking about a SPARE tire... meant to be used only until the one that blew out gets fixed.

I wouldn't run a cross-country trip with mis-matched tires but to get across town to drop off the original for repair - it's fine.

BTW!!! Do _NOT_ put the truck in 4WD with mis-matched tires! You'll really tear things up.

2) Put the spare on and see if I can make it fit by letting air out. Not sure I am comfortable with this option.
Unless she's set up with on-board-air and is comfortable using it, then I'd skip this option.

Remember also that Murphy's Law will apply here - that tire will blow in a nasty downpour, or snow, or on a dark back road and the last thing you want to have to deal with is waiting ___ minutes for the spare to fill with air.

And... any chance I could sign up to be your son? I could use some new tires too...
Old 12-11-2005, 07:18 AM

Thanks guys. I was leaning that way. I got a deal on almost new tires from someone going to 35's, so I'll just put the 5th one in the garage for now.

Sorry midiwall - My current goal is to get the kids to move out of the house so we can be alone, not take on anymore. Even if they are already grown-up.
Old 12-11-2005, 07:05 PM

what's up Romer.. I wouldn't even be afraid to put the truck in 4wd with the smaller spare on there. I mean if you had to, to get through the trail, or back home in the snow, or whatever, as long as it's not on dry pavement. Allowing for differences in tire rotation is what diffs are for, if it was a big deal all our trucks would have blown up a long time ago turning corners. And if the little one can spin every now and then even better, you could always put the spare in back then lock the diff if really worried about it. .

Last edited by nakman; 12-11-2005 at 07:07 PM.
Old 12-11-2005, 09:25 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by nakman
I wouldn't even be afraid to put the truck in 4wd with the smaller spare on there. I mean if you had to, to get through the trail, or back home in the snow, or whatever, as long as it's not on dry pavement. Allowing for differences in tire rotation is what diffs are for, if it was a big deal all our trucks would have blown up a long time ago turning corners.
Ummm... This will depend on which wheel we're talking about.

If it's the right front, then dropping it into 4WD will lock that side to the diff, the diff will lock to the transaxle, and there is NO slip in the transaxle between the front and rear. It'll tear itself apart as soon as it actually got traction. if you _HAD_ to do this to get out of something, then I would only do it if the situation where pretty dire - as in no chance of being yanked out.

If it's the left front, you'd be "okay" (it's the dragging side of the diff) until the right started slipping, and if it's either of the rears, don't throw the E-locker button.
Old 12-12-2005, 05:19 AM
Banned

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
hey romer...

so, you finally got her the 285's, heh?

you can fit the 285 underneath and behind the hitch if you take the valve core out and sit on the ground and mash it flat w/ your feet and push it up. it's a chore, but you can get it in there. i will rub on the panhard that way, but it won't hurt it, the tire, or axle travel.

you can run a 265 as a spare, but as you know, NOT in 4WD. if she wheels - which i think she is - then you'll at least want a 285 that you can throw in the cargo area as a spare.
Old 12-12-2005, 02:49 PM

I'll keep the smaller spare and if she gets a flat while we are wheeling, I have a 285 spare on my rear bumper. Maybe by Moab she will get a rear bumper and then I can put the 285 spare on.

Don't want to mash the tire to get it into place, I would think it would be more suciptable to damage without air if she hits something while wheeling, at least the RIM would be more suciptable.

Haven't got the 285's yet. Have them lined up though.

Ken
Old 12-13-2005, 07:30 PM
Contributing Member

hrmm..ok speaking of spares..

would a 32X11.5X15 be better/worse than riding a factory 265/16? Im sure the 32/15 would be a better setup, since the spare ive got is a BFG MT. Of course, this would be strictly to limp back to the road.

Im wondering, since ive put on my 285 MT/R's, and i dont have a 5th for a spare, I do have one of the above. Im not worried about fitting it back under the trunk, as ive decided im going to go with the safari basket & spare on top setup.

and..those of you with full size spares, especially mudders and heavier/more robust tires...do you lug it with you 24/7..day to day? or only on wheeling trips?

thanks