Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22re vs 22ret(engine swap)

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-2004, 08:52 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re vs 22ret(engine swap)

Alright heres the deal, I'm going to purchase a 1985 4runner soon and i'm deciding on what to do about the engine.I have a 1986 22ret in my garage with about 60,000 miles on it that is prime for an engine swap. ( anyone know how the motor mounts line up?) The true question is do you guys think I would be better off with building a good solid 22re engine and dropping it in? or putting in the 22ret?
Old 08-30-2004, 09:12 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
the 22ret will bolt up, i would recommend using the turbo tranny also , its stronger, you will have to swap engine wiring harnesses also
Old 08-31-2004, 09:26 AM

if i where you, instead of spending the time dropping in the engine i would straight axle swap your 86 using the 85 parts. the 86 has better components like the wider/stronger rear axle and the better steering box. you could get the crossover steering done while your at it.
Old 08-31-2004, 09:31 AM

Did you say you had an 86 truck or an 86 engine?

Also, the turbo transfer case is better too.

The one thing I was sketched out about when consitering dropping the turbo in is if you do build it up with an intercooler you can't do water crossings and stuff like that I dont think.

It is deffinetly a more powerfull engine but LCengineering has a t3/t4 swap that will make it significantly better, but ur talking $$$.
Old 08-31-2004, 10:11 AM

I just have the engine so no 86 truck, and in regards to water crossing(what if you put a snorkle on it? or if the turbo gets wet is it dead?) and heat and other things that could come with running it to the limit would the turbo crap out on me quite a bit earlier? and if you guys could keep your eyes open for an 86 wiring harness and ecu I'd appreciate it.
Old 08-31-2004, 11:46 AM

I don't see how using an IC would prevent water crossings, unless you were trying to cross something that was way too deep anyway. A snorkel would solve the problem just like on a naturally aspirated engine.

As far as longevity, there are really too many variables...the most important thing is how well the engine has been maintained. Regular oil changes are key with a turbo. Extreme driving conditions may shorten the motor's life, but you could say that about any engine.
Old 08-31-2004, 12:40 PM

i just did that exact swap on my 85 runner a couple months ago, i also stuck on a garrett T3 from LC engineering, its friggin night and day difference, i highly recommend doing this swap, oh and everything is plug and play no modifications needed except getting the new turbo on. if you have any questions just ask and maybe i can answer them.
Old 08-31-2004, 01:17 PM

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
i just did that exact swap on my 85 runner a couple months ago, i also stuck on a garrett T3 from LC engineering, its friggin night and day difference, i highly recommend doing this swap, oh and everything is plug and play no modifications needed except getting the new turbo on. if you have any questions just ask and maybe i can answer them.

So did you use an 86 wiring harness and ecu? or do something else. have you looked into an upgraded chip for the 22ret? so i'm taking it the swap was really easy?

I'm sure i'll have more questions later on in the swap as well
Old 08-31-2004, 06:30 PM

I think the real question is what you are going to use it for. If you are going mudbogging or dune hopping a turbo is probably the toy to play with. If you are going 4 wheeling/crawling, I think the turbo would be a mistake. Not as much low end power, turbo lag, lots of heat...
Heck, a decently built 22re has good enough torque and giddy up if you have the gears to support it. Or, sell the 22ret and use the $$ to buy the new supercharger for the 22re. From I have read so far, more bottom end, plenty of HP (up to 65 hp gain), no heat issues and plenty of "bling" for the buck
Since LCEngineering's site seems somewhat messed up of late (I know I can't get the catalog to work lately) it might be hard to find some good info, but I think the supercharger can be put on a pretty stock motor too, other than lower compression pistons. If you put some extra $$ into the motor, you would probably really have some pony.
Or, lastly, sell both motors and stick a 7mge in it. 200hp with no motor mods. Of course, you make up for it with all the mods you have to do to the truck to make it work LOL! I'd do it in an instant on my '85 or my '93 4Runners if I had the $, time, or knowhow.
Old 09-01-2004, 02:19 AM

yeah i want to do the supra swap next, the turbo is great but now im power hungry, as for low end yeah the turbo doesnt help, but it doesnt hurt either, ive noticed no drop in low end over my previous 22re, it does run hotter tho but that doesnt seem to affect anything either, only time will tell with that tho, my engine only has like 3k on it since the rebulid and the turbo only has about 1k on it.
Old 09-02-2004, 08:58 PM

From what it sounds like, a supercharger would be better, however. engine mods to the 22ret would provide greater hp gains in the long run with cost. plus i have the engine, in the garage. Now..... 85.4runner.... or 85 ext cab toyota truck? decisions....decisions.

Last edited by InvisMaverick; 09-02-2004 at 09:04 PM.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:17 PM

5VZ-FE 3.4 V6 Swap

Originally Posted by Fahrenheit 451
I think the real question is what you are going to use it for. If you are going mudbogging or dune hopping a turbo is probably the toy to play with. If you are going 4 wheeling/crawling, I think the turbo would be a mistake. Not as much low end power, turbo lag, lots of heat...
Heck, a decently built 22re has good enough torque and giddy up if you have the gears to support it. Or, sell the 22ret and use the $$ to buy the new supercharger for the 22re. From I have read so far, more bottom end, plenty of HP (up to 65 hp gain), no heat issues and plenty of "bling" for the buck
Since LCEngineering's site seems somewhat messed up of late (I know I can't get the catalog to work lately) it might be hard to find some good info, but I think the supercharger can be put on a pretty stock motor too, other than lower compression pistons. If you put some extra $$ into the motor, you would probably really have some pony.
Or, lastly, sell both motors and stick a 7mge in it. 200hp with no motor mods. Of course, you make up for it with all the mods you have to do to the truck to make it work LOL! I'd do it in an instant on my '85 or my '93 4Runners if I had the $, time, or knowhow.
Since we are talking about engine swaps. I think if you really want the horse power and torque. Just drop in a 3.4 V6 before doing any inline 6 cylinder 7M-GE or 7M-GTE engine swap. The V6 will fit without having to hack up your engine bay and is delivering just under 200 HP stock! Add a TRD Supercharger, Cold air intake and Downey headers like I did in my swap and your talking 300+ Horsepower and out of this world stump pulling torque from off idle to redline. Those of you that are into rock crawling know how important lugging torque is. Not gonna get that with a Turbo Supra engine!! My swap was in a 1991 Two wheel drive X-cab truck that origonally had the 3.0 V6 in it. Anyone that already is running a 22R-TE engine can easily drop in a 5VZ-FE V6 engine. The turbo trucks & 4Runners came with the same 5 Speed trannys that all of the V6 Trucks and 4Runners used. The V6 Bell Housing fits perfectly onto the Trannies in Turbo trucks and your ready to drop in a V6. Yes, It will also bolt in just fine. Motor mounts and all. Check out www.offroadsolutions.com about the 5VZ swaps. They can make a custom harness to adapt a 5VZ engine harness and ECU to the dash harness of a 22RE or 22R-TE truck or 4Runner. Check out this link to see how my truck looks with the engine swap. http://www.PictureTrail.com/gid1342799
Also you will see my 1998 4Runner with the 20" wheels on it. The pictures are from different times and you will notice some of the pics of my truck have the origonal front end on it and 16" wheels. I swap the 4Runner front end on it recently and my truck is also running 20" Wheels now. They handle well at 150MPH.
Old 09-09-2004, 10:27 PM
Banned

150 in a toyota truck..... um.....
Old 09-10-2004, 04:07 AM
Contributing Member

um indeed. I hope its not stock suspension
Old 09-15-2008, 10:53 PM
Contributing Member

This is a really old thread but I am looking at doing a 22RTE swap on my 88' Xtra Cab with a W56 tranny. Will it bolt right up or will I have to have a different trans? My 22RE needs about $750 worth of repairs and I have a line on a used turbo engine for about the same price. The 88 4X4's did not have a turbo option.
Old 04-13-2020, 11:37 AM

Can I put 22 re head on 20r block

Originally Posted by 85TurboRunner
yeah i want to do the supra swap next, the turbo is great but now im power hungry, as for low end yeah the turbo doesnt help, but it doesnt hurt either, ive noticed no drop in low end over my previous 22re, it does run hotter tho but that doesnt seem to affect anything either, only time will tell with that tho, my engine only has like 3k on it since the rebulid and the turbo only has about 1k on it.
2wre head on 20r block