Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22RE timing HELP!!

Search this Thread

Old 02-23-2004, 07:42 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 22RE timing HELP!!

Hi,
I just replaced my head gasket in my 1990 4runner. (4 cylinder)
I shorted out the computer to set the timing, but it still is not to adjustable.
With the timing light on, the TDC mark on the pulley is way over to the left of the scale on the timing chain cover. If I move the distributor all the way down (clockwise facing the distributor) it barely keeps running (with my help on the throttle and sounds horrible) but the timing looks about 4 degrees BTDC.

The timing chain was installed with the crank pulley pointing on TDC, and the cam in the 12 O’clock position. The distributor is pointing right at #1. ???

Also when it starts up with the computer not shorted, it revs up to 3K then slowly comes down to 1K then dies.

Thanks for any help.

Andrew.
Old 02-23-2004, 10:50 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by aferg
Hi,
I just replaced my head gasket in my 1990 4runner. (4 cylinder)
I shorted out the computer to set the timing, but it still is not to adjustable.
With the timing light on, the TDC mark on the pulley is way over to the left of the scale on the timing chain cover. If I move the distributor all the way down (clockwise facing the distributor) it barely keeps running (with my help on the throttle and sounds horrible) but the timing looks about 4 degrees BTDC.

The timing chain was installed with the crank pulley pointing on TDC, and the cam in the 12 O’clock position. The distributor is pointing right at #1. ???

Also when it starts up with the computer not shorted, it revs up to 3K then slowly comes down to 1K then dies.

Thanks for any help.

Andrew.
Are you sure you weren't 180* out when everything was put back. i.e the crank was at TDC on the exhaust stroke? Other than that I can't think of anything else. I could be wrong and you put everything back fine, and I just don't know what I am talking about.
Old 02-23-2004, 11:37 AM

My initial guess would be that the chain is off (you are saying that it looks like its on 4 btdc which it should run fine at (5 is the correct setting I belive). Maybe hope that you are wrong on the 4 degrees , and pull the dist , and reinstall a tooth in the advance direction , and try again (I had to do this myself). Otherwise if that does not work you are more than likely SOL , and have to take it apart again :pat: .
Good Luck,
Richard

PS- Its just another one of those lessons that tells you to TAKE YOUR TIME , and double check everything. We've all been there!
Old 02-24-2004, 07:33 AM

Thanks for the help.
I turned the distributor 1 tooth advance and it did not work so I tried the other way still no start… Guess I’m SOL!

Thanks Again!!!

A.
Old 02-24-2004, 11:54 AM

I have the same problem, i wonder if mine jumped a tooth
Old 02-24-2004, 12:21 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by silverCRXTC
I have the same problem, i wonder if mine jumped a tooth
I had the same issue. I found that my chain had jumped two teeth. Better get it fixed before this "interferance head" becomes a disaster.
Old 02-24-2004, 12:30 PM

there should be a mark on the cam gear. it should line up wiht the center of the head. The mark on the crank pulley should be on 0 on the timing marker at the front cover.
The distributor should be pointing slightly to the left of the top center as you look at it head on. Actually theres a raised section where the rotor button should be pointing. If everything is aligned, and you have air,fuel,fire, she'll start. Its not a huge thing, just double check these three marks and you should be OK.

John