Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22re high, hunting idle IACV?

Search this Thread

Old 03-02-2005, 07:09 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re high, hunting idle IACV?

Today I loaded up my bike and left to go riding. About halfway there I noticed when I was sitting at a red light that the idle was jumping around alot. It would go from about 900-1300 rpms. If I pushed in the clutch it would rise up to almost 1800 and drop down to about 1500. I know this problem can be caused by the ECU signal to cut out the fuel if the brakes are applied above a certein RPM, but the idle still went up and down reguardless of having the brakes on or off. When I got home, I adjusted the idle as low as it would go and I could only get it down to about 1200-1300 RPM's. I checked my timing and it was where it should be, 5*. If it makes a difference, I replaced the headgasket this weekend. I made sure to label everything correctly, and everything is reconnected correctly to my notes, and the FSM. I am going to pull the EFI fuse and see if that has any effect on it at all. Tomorrow I will also check the TPS. Do anyone know if it would be possible for the IACV to devlop any leaks that would cause such a high idle? If anyone has any idea to what the problem might be, it would be greatly appricated.
Old 03-03-2005, 02:27 PM
Contributing Member

anybody.....
Old 03-03-2005, 03:41 PM

I know that pulling the efi fuse will cause it not to run....but that's about it.
Old 03-03-2005, 05:44 PM
Contributing Member

I meant pull it to reset the ECU. I think the problem is a faulty IACV. Im gonna pull that off and do some tests to see how its working.
Old 03-03-2005, 06:07 PM
Contributing Member

Hey Austin, the turn signals I got from you work great... Thanks! Did you remove the throttle position sensor when you did the head? When I did the head gasket on mine, I removed the TPS to clean it up, and had to re-adjust it afterwards. They can screw up a lot of things if not properly adjusted. Just a thought.
Old 03-03-2005, 07:03 PM
Contributing Member

Nope didnt remove the TPS. I pulled off the throttle body and tried to remove the cover for the IACV, but the screw were in there so damn tight. I started to drill them out but broke a the bit. So im done for tonight. Ill update tomorrow.
Old 03-05-2005, 09:49 PM
Contributing Member

I took off the throttle body yesterday, opened it up and cleaned everything out. It seem to be working ok. I guess on my truck there is no idle air control valve. Instead there is a spring with sort of a plunger. I looks like it would control the idle, but I have no idea how. Ideas?

Another note. Im pretty sure my headgasket blew again, i fired up my truck this morning and it smoked like no other. Also the exhaust smells like coolant, coolant smells like exhaust, etc. So now im pretty sure Im going to have to replace the head. Any suggestions on where I could pick up a cheap rebuilt head?

Last question, every once in a while when Im driving, usually at 50mph+ going up hills, my temp guage will rise about 2-3 needle widths and then suddenly drops back down to the normal temp. What could be causing this? I put a new radiator in today, and it still does it.

Thanks
Old 03-06-2005, 09:31 AM

How many miles have you driven it after the replacing the HG? Definitely check your TPS and make sure you bleed all the air out of the coolant system. Hopefully your head is OK, but just in case, I got a rebuilt 22RE head that I might sell ya.
Old 03-06-2005, 09:36 AM
Contributing Member

ive probally only driven 150 miles so far. I adjusted the TPS and the idle was ok for a while, but then went back to the wierd, high idle. How do bleed the cooling system?
I might need that head too.

Thanks,
Austin
Old 03-06-2005, 09:46 AM

Pull the TPS off and make sure it's not gummed up. Spray it out w/ brake cleaner and make sure it operates smoothly. As for bleeding the coolant system, I usually park on a hill w/ the rad cap off, heater on and at full heat and run the engine 'til it's up to operating temp. Did you have the head checked out prior to replacing the HG and was the block checked for warpage?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:08 AM
Contributing Member

I didnt check the tolerances on the head but i did notice alot of corrison on some of the water jackets. One of them was getting really close to the cylinder. This was probally the reason why the HG blew in the first place, and why it blew again. I was kinda under time restrains, which was a mistake. So I just pulled it apart cleaned it up and slapped it back together. How much are you gonna want for that head?
Old 03-06-2005, 10:12 AM

I'd like to get $180 for it.
Old 03-06-2005, 03:29 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, I figured out the idleing problem. My intake boot was slightly cracked, and leaking. Replaced it and the idle is just like it should be. I think it may have been overheating because it was leaning out from the extra air. It hasn't overheated since.

Arnold,
I might have to take up your offer. Sorry still havent pull out that 3rd yet. I think i might next weekend.
Old 03-10-2005, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

Ok, the wierd idle is back again. It seems like the cause of it is if I drive at 70-75mph+ for a while it will make it idle wierd. I took off my TPS check that out, everything is ok with that. My throttle body has been cleaned and recleaned. Anyone know where a vaccume (spelling) leak would be to cause the idle to be so high? I really need to get this fixed, if anyone has anything let me know.

THANKS!!!