Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

22re help (just did the timing chain)

Search this Thread

Old 10-07-2005, 10:39 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
22re help (just did the timing chain)

What a pita! That timing chain was harder than i thought but i finished.
now i start up my trunk, idles ok, go for a drive. Once i shift i feel a lag/miss likes it misfiring. I checked my vacuumlines and they are all good. When i reinstalled the dissy i placed the crank at 5 degrees and mad sure the rotor lined up on #1. I also mad marks for where the dissy was before and rotated it toward the line.

Any ideas? im baffled right now
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 AM

did you set the timing with a timing light (and the diagnostic terminals TE1 and E1 jumpered) after putting it all back together?
Old 10-07-2005, 10:54 AM
Banned

timing issue... it needs to be set correctly.. the connector must be properly shorted or it will make the values wrong.. here is a small part stolen from www.4crawler.com about it:

Start up the vehicle.
The timing is probably off since the distributor was moved.
To get the vehicle to idle smoothly adjust the distributor freehand or set the timing the right way.
- With the timing test connector (TE+ E+) shortedn set the timing to 5ฐ BTDC/22RE or 0ฐBTDC/22R
Old 10-07-2005, 11:07 AM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
timing issue... it needs to be set correctly.. the connector must be properly shorted or it will make the values wrong.. here is a small part stolen from www.4crawler.com about it:

Start up the vehicle.
The timing is probably off since the distributor was moved.
To get the vehicle to idle smoothly adjust the distributor freehand or set the timing the right way.
- With the timing test connector (TE+ E+) shortedn set the timing to 5ฐ BTDC/22RE or 0ฐBTDC/22R
i didnt use a timing light (i dont have one :pat: )

but i put everything back the way it was originally
Old 10-07-2005, 11:11 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Yup Id say timming is off. GO rent a timming light.
Old 10-07-2005, 11:13 AM

that doesn't guarantee the timing is right...that'll get it close enough to run, but not necessarily to run well. i don't think you can really get around needing to set the timing with a light. some people claim to be able to do it by ear, but...

you might be able to rent one from autozone.

not sure where you are, but, if you are around pittsburgh, you can use mine.

if you are elsewhere, maybe there is someone around you who will lend you one?

or consider buying one...they really aren't that expensive and come in handy.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Originally Posted by Boosted Chemist
When i reinstalled the dissy i placed the crank at 5 degrees and mad sure the rotor lined up on #1. I also mad marks for where the dissy was before and rotated it toward the line.

Any ideas? im baffled right now
Ok I'm a little confused with this... You mean you put the crank at TDC? I don't think starting at 5* is correct. I always have put the crank at TDC =0* on the timming mark, bright link on the chain at 11:59 (supposed to be 12 oclock but never is), and insert the dist. so it rotates to #1 and the marks that I made.

When you start the truck and put the jumper in it should read 5* on the button.

I think you have it set to advanced from the begining.

Go back and pop the dist. cover and rotate the crank till it gets to 0* and see where the rotor is pointing.

Last edited by PirateFins; 10-07-2005 at 12:14 PM.
Old 10-07-2005, 12:12 PM
Banned

go buy a timing light... they are > $15 at harbor freight!!!!! http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/cta...temnumber=3343
Old 10-07-2005, 12:38 PM

Originally Posted by PirateFins
Ok I'm a little confused with this... You mean you put the crank at TDC? I don't think starting at 5* is correct. I always have put the crank at TDC =0* on the timming mark, bright link on the chain at 11:59 (supposed to be 12 oclock but never is), and insert the dist. so it rotates to #1 and the marks that I made.

When you start the truck and put the jumper in it should read 5* on the button.

I think you have it set to advanced from the begining.

Go back and pop the dist. cover and rotate the crank till it gets to 0* and see where the rotor is pointing.
i must of read something wrong, i set the crank to 0 degrees and did it over again and perfect. I still have a tick noise comming from my engine though, but no more hesitation . thanks guys
Old 10-07-2005, 12:43 PM
Banned

get teh valves adjusted.... or do it yourself..... i have done everything to my own truck... its actually i nthe garage right now in pieces, i am doing my timing chain right now... i think its pretty easy, but its a hell of a lot of bolts....

i wont touch my valves though, i know how to do it, but i swear, its a 50/50 chance, i never get it right.... im going to pay someone to adjsut them after i finish... i get it close, think its off, readjsut it, then its worse.....
Old 10-07-2005, 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by jimabena74
get teh valves adjusted.... or do it yourself..... i have done everything to my own truck... its actually i nthe garage right now in pieces, i am doing my timing chain right now... i think its pretty easy, but its a hell of a lot of bolts....

i wont touch my valves though, i know how to do it, but i swear, its a 50/50 chance, i never get it right.... im going to pay someone to adjsut them after i finish... i get it close, think its off, readjsut it, then its worse.....
yeah i do all my own ลลลล too. Hell you should see my crx
i need to adjust the valves but tonight, im enjoying some heineken
Old 10-07-2005, 03:19 PM

Use a timing light.

This is the procedure I used on my 1990 22re with 128k.

First set #1 to TDC by turning the main pulley to 0* and make sure the distributor is pointed at the #1 cylinder.

Then fire it up and with a timing light, rotate the dizzy until it is 12* BTDC.

(The service manual will say jump a connector and adjust timing to 5* BTDC but 12* is what 5* it is unjumped. )

Adjust the idle after the engine reaches operating temp and you're done! Drive around and enjoy the smoothe power.

HTH
Old 01-04-2008, 02:21 AM

Why would adjusting your own valves seem daunting? It's not too hard to do and the only real critical part is the exhaust valves, since they run hotter and can benefit from a teeny bit more slack (.013) to allow them to cool more when they sit on the seats.

With the engine off and at operating temp, I set the timing mark to fire on 1 and adjust both valves for #1, the intake for #2 and the exhaust for #3; Then I turn the crank 360 around to fire on #4 and adjust both valves for #4, the intake for #3 and the exhaust for #2. Easy.

BTW: Intakes are at .008 and the exhausts, although technically to be set for .012 will be OK at .013. Tight exhaust valves overheat and can burn, which takes a nasty gouge out of one side, drops compression for its cylinder and makes overall life for your engine hard.

BTW: The only mechanic I trust is ME.