Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2005 Tacoma, WTF is this all about???????????

Search this Thread

Old 12-22-2004, 08:43 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2005 Tacoma, WTF is this all about???????????

Well all, allow myslef to introduce, myslef...

New to this whole thing, been doing the drag racing thing for a long time, but now ready to get muddy.

So anyway, I need me a truck. Dont want a big ole truck, fullsize that is. And when I saw the new Tacoma and the power and towing specs, I was like god himself must have created this beast.

Then I start whoring around the forums and doing a bit of research, and find a couple of alarming facts about the 2005.

And the biggest problem I saw in a pic, then went to the dealer to look close up was the exhaust y-pipe.

It hangs below the frame cross-braces, forgive the terms if they aint correct.

I dont know much about off roading, biut I know that cant be good.
Attached Thumbnails 2005 Tacoma, WTF is this all about???????????-exh2.jpg  

Last edited by OMINOUS_87; 12-22-2004 at 08:45 AM.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:12 PM

I like the tacomas but if I wanted a GM product I would buy a chevy colorado. That's how I feel about the 05.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:17 PM

Originally Posted by RockComa
I like the tacomas but if I wanted a GM product I would buy a chevy colorado. That's how I feel about the 05.

So you are saying you are not exactly thrilled about the 05 Tacoma, rihgt?

Yeah I looked at the Colorados, they are cheap ass trucks, I didnt think a whole lot about them really.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:21 PM

My crossover hangs down like that. I do a lot of wheelin' and I've had no problems with it. Although, I do have a few dings in it from pebbles flying up, but nothing major. I don't think it's anything to really worry about. Even if you do tear a hole in it (doubtful), fixing it would be cheap and easy. I think you'd be more than happy with the Tacoma.
Old 12-22-2004, 12:26 PM

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Originally Posted by OMINOUS_87
Well all, allow myslef to introduce, myslef...
Welcome!

And the biggest problem I saw in a pic, then went to the dealer to look close up was the exhaust y-pipe.
They may have started doing this 'cause of all the flack that Toyota gets when people start talking about installing headers. The original crossover was up and over the tranny, but it makes it HORRIBLE to get out.

When I installed headers on my 4Runner, I ended up with the crossover pipe under the tranny. It''s been like this for about a year now and it hasn't been an issue. I agree that it could easily become one, but from the riding I've done it hasn't been.
Old 12-22-2004, 02:19 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
So you are saying you are not exactly thrilled about the 05 Tacoma, rihgt?

Yeah I looked at the Colorados, they are cheap ass trucks, I didnt think a whole lot about them really.

DON'T buy the Colorados, trust me.....
Old 12-22-2004, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
What is Marylyn Monroe doing under that truck?
Old 12-22-2004, 02:58 PM
Contributing Member

That looks like rock bait to me! It will be okay for light to medium duty stuff, but if you intend to play in the boulder garden, I think you have a right to be concerned.
Old 12-22-2004, 03:59 PM

What's up with the colorado's? Catching fire?
Old 12-22-2004, 04:17 PM
Contributing Member

Kind of looks like my high clearance cross over pipe

What are you looking to use the truck for?
Old 12-22-2004, 05:31 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Mikey
What's up with the colorado's? Catching fire?
No... it will just cost you a good bit if you ever need to replace the rotors. They are a part of the A-arm suspension components now so if you need to replace them you are charged with a brand new left or right front suspension + rotors + pads + labor + alignment. And dont get me started on the Trailblazers, especially since they have a bulletin on the pistons being too small for the bore diameter As a matter of fact don't buy any of GM's brand new lines until they work out the bugs in about 3 years.
Old 12-22-2004, 06:35 PM

It's not the fact I like the tacoma,it's just so much like a colorado. The beds favor.toyota now uses the chevy type setup and mounts the shocks on the axle like a dana axle. Sure even older tacomas had GM parts in the electrical and cooling system but it seems more and more they are going to corporate america. Anything to make a dollar I guess. Hopefully the quality won't go to crap any more than it already has somewhat
Old 12-22-2004, 07:08 PM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by Ironmike4x4
No... it will just cost you a good bit if you ever need to replace the rotors. They are a part of the A-arm suspension components now so if you need to replace them you are charged with a brand new left or right front suspension + rotors + pads + labor + alignment. And dont get me started on the Trailblazers, especially since they have a bulletin on the pistons being too small for the bore diameter As a matter of fact don't buy any of GM's brand new lines until they work out the bugs in about 3 years.

They aren't part of the suspension, but they are pressed onto the backside of the hub, meaning you do have to remove the hub and steering knuckle, so labor will be quite high. You would not have to buy any suspnsion parts.
Old 12-22-2004, 07:37 PM

Is it the way I'm looking at it /angle of pic or is the front driveshaft on the passenger side now
Old 12-22-2004, 10:25 PM
Contributing Member

I wouldn't worry about the crossover too much. You will notice it is reinforced and not just pipe. My 4R has a few dings in it from hitting stuff offroad, but no issues so far. Besides it sits a bit higher than the cross sections coming to the tranny cross member (not sue if it is the case with the taco, but definitely on the new 4R). Besides Good Time have busted his prop shaft, tranny pan, and who knows what else on the new 4R on rocks, but never his crossover pipe so I wouldn't worry about it.
Old 12-22-2004, 10:50 PM

Yeah if Lance hasn't busted it, it ain't getting busted
Old 12-22-2004, 11:33 PM
Contributing Member

it's banged but it's just not broke yet actually i'm surprised it actually handled as much abuse as i've given it. now w/ the full length belly skid it's protected so no more worries

one note though, it's not just a thin pipe like the rest of the exhaust. It's actually nicely reinforced but not enough for prolong abuse. get a full length skid and that should solve your problems. the bigger concern is the tranny pan that is in plain sight. although it's tucked up there nicely it is still vulnerable so that should be more of an immediate concern thus gettin the full skid is crucial.
Old 12-23-2004, 05:30 PM

Originally Posted by Good Times
it's banged but it's just not broke yet actually i'm surprised it actually handled as much abuse as i've given it. now w/ the full length belly skid it's protected so no more worries

one note though, it's not just a thin pipe like the rest of the exhaust. It's actually nicely reinforced but not enough for prolong abuse. get a full length skid and that should solve your problems. the bigger concern is the tranny pan that is in plain sight. although it's tucked up there nicely it is still vulnerable so that should be more of an immediate concern thus gettin the full skid is crucial.
Do you happen to have any pics of the under body of the runner?
Old 12-23-2004, 06:02 PM
Contributing Member

Do you happen to have any pics of the under body of the runner?
Nope nada.
Old 12-24-2004, 11:19 AM
Contributing Member

Originally Posted by yamarocket630
They aren't part of the suspension, but they are pressed onto the backside of the hub, meaning you do have to remove the hub and steering knuckle, so labor will be quite high. You would not have to buy any suspnsion parts.

Are you sure? In school they taught us that the hubs were somehow bound together to the lower arms so you have to replace the assembly if new rotors were needed. I havent dealt with them yet, but the shop had to buy an onboard brake lathe just for the Colorado/Canyons because of the assembly set up. That would be good though it being pressed onto the hub but a PITA for us. I will look into it, thanks for clearing that up.