Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 Factory Stereo

Search this Thread

Old 06-13-2003, 05:01 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 Factory Stereo

I have been to two aftermarket car audio shops and both have told me that the factory unit (not the JBL one) in my 2003 is a very good unit and that an aftermarket unit would not be that much of an improvement.

Both recommended adding an amp and subwoofer and possible upgrading the speakers.

Any thougts?

Also, does anybody have the new Blaupunkt San Francisco CD-72? Is it worth the money?
Old 06-13-2003, 08:46 AM

I changed my factory headunit and it made a major difference. Just changing the headunit and nothing else will show an improvement. But the more you change the better it will sound.

I wouldnt leave the headunit and just upgrade the speakers. I dont know which specific head unit you have in there now, but you would be lucky if its even putting out 20 watts per channel. Depends on how much you looking to spend. you could get a new head unit and a nice small 4 channel amplifier and new speakers it would sound 10x better.

No blaupunkt especially a 500 dollar head unit from them.
Get this top of the line headunit. Alpine cda-9815 costs around 400. Or look into eclipse headunits. I have a bunch of info pictures and what i did when i changed my stereo in my 03 in the link in my sig.

Chris

ps if you want some recommendations tell me what you looking to spend. Are you gonna install yourself, or have someone do it for you?
Old 06-13-2003, 09:59 AM

the factory unit is pretty good enough if you are not ultra cirtical about your stereo. you probably won't hear any major different if you replace it with an under $250 deck, but then you will lose the cassette player and the steering wheel control. I am still using my factory unit, but replaced the front door factory speakers with a pair of older germany Eton version of diamond audio hex, and it's like night and day difference! I can turn pass the volume over 40 on the head unit, and it doesn't distort anymore, in fact, I can turn it all the way up, and it still sounds pretty good. I think you should replace your speakers first to see if you are happy with it first.
Old 06-13-2003, 10:48 AM

stereo

I had considered the Blaupunkt because of the power output (33 RMS per channel), other specs looked decent CD Signal to Noise, and FM Sensitivity. I was also wanting something with a graphic analyzer on it - not a necessity though.

I am considering the Alpine CD-9813 with 27 watts per channel, no analyzer though.

How does your Alpine look with the factory orange dash lighting?

Anyhow, I was hoping to run the front and back speakers just off the head unit and then add a mono sub with an existing amp I have Rockford Fosgate 2.6-something (2 channel, 100 watts bridged). I have a small 10 inch MTX sub/box, but was hoping to possible put something into the factory sub location.

I am considering spending $300-500 for a head unit and $200-300 for replacement speakers and another $100-300 for the sub.

Would it be a stupid idea to get a 6-3/4 component set and a 6x9 and use the component tweeter and 6x9 up front and the 6-3/4 in the back doors?

Are the current speakers crossed over?

The last thing I might add would be XM Radio. I have one of the original Sony units, but not quite sure where I would put it. I might just sell it on Ebay and get the tuner for a head unit.
Old 06-13-2003, 12:25 PM

if your gonna get the xm just sell what you have and get the tunner for the new headunit. DO you really want another display in your car you dont really need, i wouldnt.

Dont buy 6x9s do yourself a favor. Just get a 6 1/2 component for the front and buy an adapter there only like 10 bucks i think. You will have many choices in much better speakers and round speakers sound much better then oval speakers.

Alpine and eclipse are are known to have the best sounding headunits. Blaupunkt i have never heard anything good about before. I have also never heard anything bad. But its not something any car audio enthusist would buy. Ill take a picture of my headunit and dash at night for you to give you an idea. I like the way it looks but everyone is different.

I would go with the alpine headunit cause your possible looking into getting the xm radio in the future. I would shop around for replacement speakers but i feel for that price range some infinity kappa's are always a good choice. You might even consider just getting an inexpesive small 4 channel amp or even just a 2 channel amp to power the components. Look into the new phoenixgold octane-r amplifiers great company with there new entry level equipment. You could get the OCTANE-R 9.0:5
its a 5 channel amplifier. 75 rms to all 4 channels and like 250 watts rms at 2 ohm for the sub. You could get everything into one package.

http://www.purecaraudio.com/subcatmf...1=225&2=-1&6=2

As for the sub you have to decide what you want to keep and what not to keep. A sub placed in the stock location will not perform well at all. For optimal performance you would want something faced at the back cargo door, window would be best.
If you would get a different sub i would purcachase an image dynamics ID12V.2 D4. there 130 at

http://www.speedsound.com/tek9.asp?p...ific=jmnpcrepc

360+130+400=790 for new headunit, sub and amp for sub and 4 doors.800 what you wanted to spend and you will get a much better system. You could sell the equipment you have now for installation material needed like amp install kits, wire harness and install kit for head unit.

Sorry im alittle crazy when it comes to this stuff. But its all up to you in the end and how much work you want to put into it. I personally wouldnt let anyone install anything for me, cause people never do it the right way.

Chris
Old 06-13-2003, 01:27 PM

Re: 2003 Factory Stereo

Originally posted by tank_bmb
I have been to two aftermarket car audio shops and both have told me that the factory unit (not the JBL one) in my 2003 is a very good unit and that an aftermarket unit would not be that much of an improvement.

Both recommended adding an amp and subwoofer and possible upgrading the speakers.

Any thougts?

Also, does anybody have the new Blaupunkt San Francisco CD-72? Is it worth the money?

I call BS about factory being as good as aftermarket. Get an Alpine or Pioneer. Blaupunkt has VERY "iffy" quality from what I understand. The Frisco is a nice deck as far as specs go, but I think "real world" it's not as good as alpine/pioneer/kenwood. I'd settle on what you want to spend, then find the alpine/pioneer/kenwood (excelon) that fits the price. The SF is like $400? You can get a SWEET alpine for that.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:27 PM

I'm in the middle of putting a new system in my 03 Runner. I got the Alpine CDA-9807 head unit and it was a great improvement over the stock. Here are some of the improvements: 1) Its louder 2) Cleaner sound 3) MP3 and WMA Playback 4) XM capability 5) Looks cool 6) More control over your system 7) 3 pre-outs There are many reasons to put in a aftermarket head unit, those were just a few.
Old 06-13-2003, 01:29 PM

Re: stereo

Originally posted by tank_bmb

I am considering the Alpine CD-9813 with 27 watts per channel, no analyzer though.

NIce unit, much better than San Francisco

How does your Alpine look with the factory orange dash lighting?

No idea.

Anyhow, I was hoping to run the front and back speakers just off the head unit and then add a mono sub with an existing amp I have Rockford Fosgate 2.6-something (2 channel, 100 watts bridged). I have a small 10 inch MTX sub/box, but was hoping to possible put something into the factory sub location.

I am considering spending $300-500 for a head unit and $200-300 for replacement speakers and another $100-300 for the sub.

Would it be a stupid idea to get a 6-3/4 component set and a 6x9 and use the component tweeter and 6x9 up front and the 6-3/4 in the back doors?

There is a reason components come with the crossovers they do, they are a matched set. You could do this, but frankly I think setting it up might be beyond your capability, unless of course you know how to design a crossover network... The MTX sub idea is fine, though. Also, components really should be run off seperate amps, not the H/U, you will clip them and they will blow really fast.

Are the current speakers crossed over?

The last thing I might add would be XM Radio. I have one of the original Sony units, but not quite sure where I would put it. I might just sell it on Ebay and get the tuner for a head unit.