Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 4runner...the real story?

Search this Thread

Old 03-04-2003, 02:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question 2003 4runner...the real story?

I currently have an fj60, but i'm seriously looking at the new 4Runner. The only thing I can't decide on is which engine to choose. Putting aside the bigger is better mentality for a second...is there really that much of a difference in 37 lb/ft of torque? Its obvious that the v8 will be better for towing, but right now I can't see myself needing to tow 5,000+ lbs all that often. The v6 has 2 distinct advantages that I see, 1) slightly better gas mileage and 2) the ability to select 2WD. However, I'm an off-roading newbie and so I pose this question to those of you with more knowledge in this area. What setup would you chose for getting into some moderate off-roading I'm looking at more of an expedition style vehicle rather than say a mudder or rockcrawler. I leave it open for you all, what are your thoughts/opinions...
Old 03-04-2003, 02:55 PM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Welcome, ChuckB. IMHO, it's not the difference in the amount of torque that makes the V-8 more desirable, but where in the rev band it's made. The V-8 makes as much torque at 1,200 rpm as the V-6 does at it's peak @ ~ 3,400 rpm (from memory). Translation: Effortless power from the V-8. Add that the iron block 2UZ V-8 is a proven commodity, runs on regular vs. premium required for the aluminum block 1GR V-6, comes with a 5-speed tranny, the full-time 4WD driveline, lower 1-2-3 gears than the 4-speed tranny (better crawl ratio of 34 compared to the 4-speed 28) all for ~$800.

I've owned a Sequoia with the part-time 4WD system like the V-6 has. The ability to run in 2WD might gain 1mpg, but the tradeoff is reduced stability in all conditions and a tendency for the tail to wag during an emergency lane-change type of maneuver. I prefer the full-time setup for the added peace of mind and improved handling.

I think the biggest drawback to the V-8 might be the extra 130 lbs, all of it over the front axle. It MIGHT make the V-6 ride and brake a little better, but I've never seen any comments anywhere mentioning it.

From my sig, you can tell I'm biased! I'm really enjoying the V-8 performance, and the sound it makes at redline makes it worth the price of admission. IMHO, resale of the V-8 rig will be better than the V-6 too, but we'll see about that one. Either gets a favorable "safe car" insurance rating from my insurer. YMMV.
Old 03-04-2003, 04:06 PM
Contributing Member

ChuckB:

I would say go w/ the v8 for several reasons: (not being bias either..)

5 speed auto tranny (v8 - compared to the 4 speed one in the v6)
both takes 87 octane but the mpg isn't that much different.
v8 is a proven engine that's been around awhile compared to the new v6 which has just come out recently (might have problems? possible)

I myself went with the v8 only because of the 5 speed tranny. I was pretty much at a toss up between the two but after driving the 5 speed auto on the v8 compared to the v8 4 speed (found on the tundra, seq), i was pretty much sold. Plus the v6 wasn't out yet but even if I had to choose now, I believe that I've made a solid decision

hope this adds more chaos to the mix! hehe

Lance
Old 03-04-2003, 04:55 PM
Contributing Member

I also struggled with whether to do the V6 or the V8. I ultimately settled on the V8 because:

. the proven i-Force engine's history
. the 5-speed transmission
. the V8 includes an oil and transmission cooler
. the V6 uses Toyota's VVT-i, which may make a supercharger trickier (plus the i-Force already has one out for the Sequoia and Tundra)
. like BT17R sez--the powerband

and the final kicker: the Denver region has stopped ordering the V6's in anything but the SR5 trim package.
Old 03-04-2003, 05:35 PM

Hey ChuckB,

Welcome to the forum!

The v6 has 2 distinct advantages that I see, 1) slightly better gas mileage and 2) the ability to select 2WD. However, I'm an off-roading newbie and so I pose this question to those of you with more knowledge in this area. What setup would you chose for getting into some moderate off-roading I'm looking at more of an expedition style vehicle rather than say a mudder or rockcrawler.
Just like you, I will be getting the 03 or 04 Runner. If you look down on my signature, this will be my next ride. Anyway, just like what you said, you are going to get into some moderate off-roading. If I were in your shoes, I will get the Limited V8. You may ask why? The answers were already given by LoCore, Good Times, BT17R, and I concur on what they typed up. And whenever you decided to go mild off-roading, you have a peace of mind that your vehicle is capable of tackling any terrain because of that full time 4WD, V8 power and good torque. Not to mention that oil and transmission coolers, these are a plus when towing heavy stuff.

Well I hope this info helped you out in making that tough decision.
Once again, Welcome to the forum!!!

Noel
Old 03-04-2003, 05:47 PM

I agree with BT17R. I test drove both before I bought mine. I drove the V6 first and was quite impressed. Then I drove the V8, and it felt a lot more powerful due to the low end torque. I think either engine is a good choice, and either one is quite capable. I do think that the V8 would be better for towing though. I would suggest that you drive both of them and see what you think.
Old 03-04-2003, 06:34 PM

I went with the v6 I didnt see any benefit for me in paying the extra money. Also its alittle more then 800 dollars. The opinion packages change significatly with the v8 atleast on the limited. My v6 gets amazing gas mileage im getting 19ish mostly city driving alittle parkway (still stop and go though). Oh and thats not what the crack smoking computer says cause that thing got dropped on its head in the factory way off. According to that im getting like 24 mpg. I dont tow, and i dont offroad so why pay the extra for me. Buts its really just a matter of preference. Chris
Old 03-04-2003, 07:00 PM

Thanks for all your input guys, that is exactly what I was looking for. The fact that the v8 takes 87 octane makes a huge difference for me being in SoCal with the way gas prices are these days. My FJ60 is killing me right now in that department. The other big selling point is that fact that the v8 has been around for a while. Not that I doubt the future reliability of the v6, but its nice to have a little history. I'm in a unique position right now because I still have about 2 years or so until I make a purchase. Mainly due to the fact that my 60 still has a few more miles left on it, and then there's always the $$$. I'm excited to see what the aftermarket will come up with in that time frame to suck even more money out of me. I'll be paying close attention to the mods that you guys start doing in the near future. Look for me in a Titanium Silver '05 4WD SPORT V8! If anybody is in San Diego I'll try and get my 60 out on the trail in the mean time. Thanks for your help, this forum is sweet!!

Chuck
Old 03-04-2003, 08:46 PM
Contributing Member

Chuck:

Come with us on our outing in Alpine, CA (off the 8 freeway in san diego)...

https://www.yotatech.com/forums/show...5&goto=newpost

There's gonna be a few of us there so the more the better I can show ya my 4runner i action... (lol - not much to show but...)

Lance
Old 03-05-2003, 02:31 PM

Well, I did the same thing - couldn't decide if the V8 or the V6. Finally went with the V6, figuring that gas prices will not go down. I'm quite pleased, it has great gobs of power and is very smooth (my previous ride was a 1996 Montero...nice machine but the power could be described as, well, "stately").

Also it's getting pretty darn good mileage (20 ish) and is running fine on 87 octane regular (this is OK per the owner's manual). Perfect in my mind would be the V6 with the 5-speed auto and the 2WD-4WD active track choice. But since that doesn't exist...

I guess if I thought that gas would be stable and if I ever pulled anything heavier I would have gone for the V8. But the big six has more than enough power.
Old 03-05-2003, 03:06 PM

Lance,

Thanks for the offer, I really appreciate it. I'm anxious to get out and see what the 60 (and me) can do. Its completely stock except for OME lift. Unfortunately, I can't make it this weekend because my girlfriend is flying in from the East Coast. But, I would love to go some other time. I'll be looking for the posts and talking to you guys more.

All,

Keep the opinions coming, I'm still reading all of them.

Chuck