Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2003 4runner interesting stuff

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2003, 07:46 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2003 4runner interesting stuff

did any of you guys find this new stuff on their 03 4runners....

First, when you ligthly close the trunk and it is still open... wait a few seconds and the trunk will automatically close...

Second, when you start the engine with the key just turn it lightly for a second... and the car will automatically keep trying to start the engine until it starts...

Third, well.... i dont know if its only my car.... but did you guys have cigarette lighters in you 4runners??? .... I do not....
Old 07-12-2003, 07:58 PM

Yes to the first two.

The cigarette lighter is not standard on the vehicle (heard that it may be a port install option to replace the front power adapter and cover).

By the way, the starter is on a circuit so if you move the key to start, release it, and turn it again to start, it will not grind the starter. It's simply a circuit that runs the starter until the engine starts, then deactivates until the engine is turned off.
Old 07-12-2003, 08:48 PM
Contributing Member

venom:

all 3 can be found in the brochure

the first 2 are cool features too! as for the cig lighter... ehe don't smoke here so no biggie
Old 07-12-2003, 11:00 PM
Contributing Member

Yeah, I can vouch for all 3. I love the trunk feature. Also, no cig lighter is fine by me. Smoke kills anyway. I end up takin' out the cig lighter and losin' it anyway.

I just got mine about 3 days ago and I have to say, it's one of the most well designed vehicles I've ever owned.

Hands down, a great buy. I love it, and I'm damn proud to be a member of the Toyota family.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:02 PM
Contributing Member

venom79... a Q for ya

Hey Venom79, where did you get your brush guard? It looks hella-good.
Old 07-12-2003, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

that brushguard is not out yet i think...

it's a jaos brushguard which i believe will go for like $$$$...

looks cool just won't work w/ what I want but it's a dope guard
Old 07-13-2003, 05:20 AM
Contributing Member

Hi all....

I've had my 03 for a couple of weeks now, and love it.

I used to have a 2nd gen '90 and while it was great at the time, i can't get over how much things have changed/improved over the years.

The auto-locking of the hatch is great, and yes, the auto-start feature of the ignition takes a little getting used to, I must admit :-)

I'm not a smoker so the lack of the cigarette lighter is not a major issue at this time, although I was surprised they didn't supply one anyway.

There is a lot of microprocessor logic built into the 03's for sure. And I'm still finding little things I didn't notice before in terms of how the controls behave.

I like the idea that you can configure some of these things, like how the unlocking of doors occurs when you end your driving, etc.

BTW, I do have a question if anyone can shed some light on this.... the owners manual makes some vague reference to one being able to enable/disable the DRL using some unknown procedure (it only says "See Dealer" or something to that effect).

Does anyone know how to turn them on/off at will or am I stuck with them perpetually on?

Thanks in advance for your suggestions.
Old 07-13-2003, 08:01 AM

Heck, you have to order a whole new ashtray... I'm kinda glad I quit.

venom79, you gotta go to the dealer.. They may or may not give you the run around. It has something to do with the computer (my dealer says) and they will charge you $40.
I wish there was a way to turn the on and off manually. I don't like them for driving around, but would like to be able to enable them during rush hour.
Old 07-13-2003, 10:44 AM

Re: 2003 4runner interesting stuff

Originally posted by venom79
did any of you guys find this new stuff on their 03 4runners....

First, when you ligthly close the trunk and it is still open... wait a few seconds and the trunk will automatically close...

Second, when you start the engine with the key just turn it lightly for a second... and the car will automatically keep trying to start the engine until it starts...

Third, well.... i dont know if its only my car.... but did you guys have cigarette lighters in you 4runners??? .... I do not....
First, did not know...pretty cool.

Second, knew this.

Third, no ashtray...about $60 from the dealer!

Fourth, My rear seat bottoms don't latch contrary to the owner's manual. Anybody else?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:03 PM
Contributing Member

JGage,
Why do you only want them during traffic. Its only the front lights, so why not just turn on your parking lights so people can see you from behind better too?
Old 07-13-2003, 03:26 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
I don't really care for the rear door closing by itself, just wish I could slam it like normal now if it was a trunk on a car

Last edited by EDGE; 07-13-2003 at 03:29 PM.
Old 07-13-2003, 03:55 PM

Because the DRL are actually the turn signals (which are super bright, you can drive by them at night within reason) the parking lights are a different set. When you turn on your parking or headlights, the DRLs turn off.
Old 07-13-2003, 06:01 PM

Originally posted by JGage
Because the DRL are actually the turn signals (which are super bright, you can drive by them at night within reason) the parking lights are a different set. When you turn on your parking or headlights, the DRLs turn off.
The DRL don't turn on if the e-brake is pressed down when you turn the truck on but the signals work so only if you could rewire it to think the brake is applied.
Old 07-14-2003, 06:50 AM
Contributing Member

Thanks for the comments on the DRL's folks...

The main reason i asked about how/if they could be turned off is because the manual said it could be done.

It's a control issue for me.........

There's no question that the added visibility helps during the commute to work. Anything to discourage an unannounced and abrupt lane change by a neighboring motorist is strongly suggested.
Old 07-14-2003, 10:18 AM
Contributing Member

I really don't have a problem with the DRLs. I wasn't a huge fan, but now, I'm pretty much impartial. I do however, LOVE the starting feature. Didn't even realize it till I read this forum, and now I giggle every time I start my yota.
Old 07-14-2003, 12:34 PM

I knew about the start feature when I bought the truck.. Problem is, now I think every auto has it <G>
Old 07-14-2003, 07:39 PM

I knew about the start feature when I bought the truck.. Problem is, now I think every auto has it <G>
So true
Old 07-15-2003, 04:23 AM

I knew about the start feature when I bought the truck.. Problem is, now I think every auto has it
Oh, that is so true!! Now, on our Camry or in every rental when I travel, I hit the key and wait for it to start itself. :pat:

Same thing for the auto-up driver's window. All power windows seem to have the auto-down, but this is one of the few that have auto-up.
Old 07-15-2003, 06:39 AM

First auto I have ever seen w/ the auto up feature too, I love it also.
Old 07-18-2003, 12:11 PM

Originally posted by jharris2
Oh, that is so true!! Now, on our Camry or in every rental when I travel, I hit the key and wait for it to start itself. :pat:
Hey jharris2,

You are 100% right. I travel virtually every week and when I get in the rentals, I sit there just turn the key and feel like a fool when the car does not automatically start.

It is hard changing back

Quick Reply: 2003 4runner interesting stuff