Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2002 Tacoma 2.7 starting issue

Search this Thread

Old 09-22-2011, 08:48 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2002 Tacoma 2.7 starting issue

Hello to all members! I am a newbie in need of a little advice on my 2002 Tacoma. I have very little experience with Toyotas since this is the first one I have owned.I have used the search feature and I have been unable to find a thread where my exact issue has been covered. My truck has a 2.7 liter engine and 5 speed trans. The truck will activate the fuel pump and prime the fuel system briefly when I turn the key on. When I try to start it, the truck runs VERY briefly then dies. the truck will NOT even attempt to start again until the key is turned off then back on again. then the process repeats all over again. The fuel pump and filter have been replaced, as well as both the cut off relay and the efi relay. The MAF sensor has been changed as well as the crank position sensor. When the truck dies, it still has spark on all cylinders. By using a noid light, I can see that the injectors cease firing and the truck dies. Keep cranking and no injectors fire until the key is cycled off then back on. the injector harness still shows to have voltage on the positive side so I can only assume they are losing ground. I also assume the ECM has an injector driver circuit that applies ground during normal operation causing the injectors to cycle. I have checked the harness for any broken wires or bad connections. I realize that I have made alot of assumptions! A new ECM is around $700.00 retail around here and before I just "assume" this is the problem, is there something obvious that I am missing? I appreciate any help or suggestions that anyone might have. I have been very impressed with the knowledge that the members of this forum posess and I just hope someone might have had this issue before. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
Old 09-22-2011, 10:55 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
o2 sensor maybe. do you have any codes? my 3rz takes a few revolutions to start as it is but i think thats norm.
Old 09-24-2011, 05:57 AM
ZUK

Received 24 Likes on 22 Posts
Originally Posted by stvsbc
Hello to all members! I am a newbie in need of a little advice on my 2002 Tacoma. I have very little experience with Toyotas since this is the first one I have owned.I have used the search feature and I have been unable to find a thread where my exact issue has been covered. My truck has a 2.7 liter engine and 5 speed trans. The truck will activate the fuel pump and prime the fuel system briefly when I turn the key on. When I try to start it, the truck runs VERY briefly then dies. the truck will NOT even attempt to start again until the key is turned off then back on again. then the process repeats all over again. The fuel pump and filter have been replaced, as well as both the cut off relay and the efi relay. The MAF sensor has been changed as well as the crank position sensor. When the truck dies, it still has spark on all cylinders. By using a noid light, I can see that the injectors cease firing and the truck dies. Keep cranking and no injectors fire until the key is cycled off then back on. the injector harness still shows to have voltage on the positive side so I can only assume they are losing ground. I also assume the ECM has an injector driver circuit that applies ground during normal operation causing the injectors to cycle. I have checked the harness for any broken wires or bad connections. I realize that I have made alot of assumptions! A new ECM is around $700.00 retail around here and before I just "assume" this is the problem, is there something obvious that I am missing? I appreciate any help or suggestions that anyone might have. I have been very impressed with the knowledge that the members of this forum posess and I just hope someone might have had this issue before. Thanks in advance for any ideas!
That's a strange one....but a couple of questions would help diagnose this one....

By the way, I think you picked a good year...the 2002 has the reinforced rear portion of the c-channel frame that Toyota corrected in 01....also does not have the throttle by wire or whatever it is called on the newer 03 and 04 models(you have a real throttle cable).

Was this truck recently purchased as a roll-over special? Was it recently involved in a car wreck? Have you had this truck long enough where it used to run right but, all of the sudden, now it doesn't? Was there any kind of maintenance or work under the hood that might be related to the timing of this problem? For example, a headgasket was just replaced and now it has this start prob. A battery was recently replaced, terminals were "accidently" reversed for a split second with a really big spark arc and now it has this start issue. Just want to know when was the last time it ran right and what happened in between. thanks

ps-- is this truck an east coast special? One of those water soaked specials from those floods they recently had in the mid-west or back East?

ZUK

Last edited by ZUK; 09-24-2011 at 06:10 AM.
Old 12-22-2019, 06:05 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by stvsbc
WHAT fixed this problem?!!?!