Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2001/2002 Full Time 4wd, and 4wd systems

Old 03-09-2006, 06:15 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by 02SE
If you then also push the center difflock button on the dash, this connects the front and rear driveshfts together with no differentiation. This is what's known as part-time 4WD. You only want to use this mode on slippery surfaces, otherwise you can get binding in the driveline, which can break parts.
I see, so my guess is that it indeed is an electronically controlled transfer case? I ammore familiar with older designs such as on old Fords and Chevys where the stick is normally in 2wd, then by shifting to 4wd, the trasfer case is engaged to the front drive shaft, then 4wd lo is just a different gearing setup.
I have never heard of a center differential being used in this setup.
I have never heard of a center differential being used in conjunction with a transfer case
I have also never heard of a selectable on/off center differential.

I guess my question after all of this is how is the selectable part time 4wd acheived? I am guessing throw and electronically controlled transfer case paired to a center differential? But again, this is where I get lossed, looking under the truck provides no help, I don;t see anything that looks like either setup. Thanks for all the info so far, it has been extremely helpful.
Old 03-09-2006, 11:22 AM

Originally Posted by JHupp
I see, so my guess is that it indeed is an electronically controlled transfer case? I ammore familiar with older designs such as on old Fords and Chevys where the stick is normally in 2wd, then by shifting to 4wd, the trasfer case is engaged to the front drive shaft, then 4wd lo is just a different gearing setup.
I have never heard of a center differential being used in this setup.
I have never heard of a center differential being used in conjunction with a transfer case
I have also never heard of a selectable on/off center differential.

I guess my question after all of this is how is the selectable part time 4wd acheived? I am guessing throw and electronically controlled transfer case paired to a center differential? But again, this is where I get lossed, looking under the truck provides no help, I don;t see anything that looks like either setup. Thanks for all the info so far, it has been extremely helpful.

All full-time 4WD capable vehicles have a differential in the transfer case. It's what allows the use of 4wd on any surface without driveline binding.

Yes, when you push the button on the T-case shifter, electrical solenoids (on the T-case) shift the T-case into full-time 4WD mode.

You have an electrically selectable on/off center differential. When the center diff is locked, (switched on) it solidly connects the front and rear driveshafts. This is part-time 4WD, which you would only want to use in slippery conditions. This is the 4WD mode, that you refer to with the old Ford and Chevy analogy.

You also have to manually select either high or low range, by moving the T-case shift lever.

If you look under your 4Runner, you will see the front and rear driveshafts. They are both connected to your transfer case. The transfer case is connected to the transmission, which is connected to the engine.

Basiclally, you have a much more versatile drivetrain set-up, than the old Part-time only 4WD systems.

Hope this helps.
Old 05-20-2015, 05:38 PM

4wheel drive problem

Hello,
I own a 2006 Tacoma and when it's in 4wheel drive and you turn the front wheels fight the back wheels. On black top the tires will burn out and in the snow it causes the truck to slide in a turn. Any ideas what could cause this?