Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 sr5 4runner front end vibration

Search this Thread

Old 07-12-2011, 11:33 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 sr5 4runner front end vibration

Hello. long time troller here, first time poster. I've got a 2000 4runner SR5 v6 with 160k. With the help of this and other 4runner forums I've managed to tackle alot of the general maintenance on my own. I've stubbled upon something I wasn't able to find help with searching on the forums so I'm finally posting up.

I replaced the tires on my truck with michelin tires from costco about Jan '11. Shortly after I started noticing a random front end vibration between 60mph - 70mph. I took the truck back to costco for a tire balance and they reluctantly did so because it was too early. They pointed that I may have some other mechanical issue that should be checked out. Primarily because a wheel balance issue would vibrate throughout the speed and increase with intensity as I drove faster. My issue only happens around 60mph - 70mph and if I drive above 70mph it seems to drive pretty smooth again. Anyways I get the tires rebalanced and it seems a bit better but is still there.

I take the truck to a mechanic I know and he doubts its the tires because I just had them balanced twice within a 3 months. He drives it and instantly says one of my shocks are out causing one wheel to bounce around and one to stay stable which is why I'm feeling random vibrations only at certain speeds. When we get back he goes to the front and does the bouncing test and its obvious that the front drivers side shock does not dampen like the passenger side shock.

So to the question:
I'm about 90% trusting in his diagnoises but I'm still questioning the wheel balancing. Would an improperly balanced wheel cause my random vibration at the speeds I described? I have read about the Haweka plate which is why I'm asking but I've purchased 1 other set of tires from costco for this truck (revos) with no issues in vibration. So part of my thinks that the wheel balancing, which could play a part, is probably not the issue since I've had good balances from this Costco before.

Secondly I'm getting new shocks. What should I get. My mechanic said if I want to go cheap he'll just throw on some monroes and we'll call it good, either monroe sensitraks or the quickstruts if I want all new springs and stuff. Its an old truck, has some rust on it and it is kind of my beater. On the other hand I want to put some decent parts on it so it'll be good for another 100k. I was looking at bilstein hds which are a little bit more per corner. With replacing the shocks, should I be looking at replacing the springs, mounts and rubber pieces or will I be okay with re-using most of it? Do you think I need to do the rears at the same time? 160k on the shocks

Whew.. that was a book. thanks for reading. hope you guys can help.
Old 07-12-2011, 12:06 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
It's not easy to diagnose this close up, impossible at long distance. I had this problem and it got worse and worse as I passed 120k, giving vibration over 50mph. I started working on it and everything seemed to help a little.

I did:
new Tokikko Trekmaster shocks
new swaybar bushings
Wheeler steering rack bushings
replaced swaybar end links (one was broken)
new Michelins with Hunter Road Force balancing (w/Haweka adapter)
alignment on Hunter machine

All of this was needed, if not overdue, so I wasn't just chasing the vibration. Now she is nice and smooth all the way up to 93mph, which is faster than I normally drive. The rest of the suspension checked out fine.

Costco's around here do not have the Hunter machines, so I doubt they have a clue about Haweka adapters. The new tires and wheel balancing had the biggest effect; if you want it done right, go to a place listed here:http://www.gsp9700.com/pub/search/findgsp9700.cfm (I got the actual tires from discounttire.com on eBay).

All the Toyota dealers near me are on there. I think most or all have the Hunter balancers. I used an Indy down the street.

So in a nutshell, there are lots of causes, so you need to check everything, and do what needs doing. That will probably get it done--unless it turns out to be the driveshaft.

Last edited by TheDurk; 07-12-2011 at 12:25 PM.
Old 07-12-2011, 06:18 PM

thanks for the feedback. Like I said I've used this costco for a total of 4 sets of tires on all my vehicles and have had no problems. 1 set was on this 4runner so part of me doubts that is the problem. I know I need front shocks so I will get those done first I think. If that does not fix it I will check for wheel balance.

So what brand shocks would be best for a good compromise in performance and durability?

I did go through the front end with my mechanic and we checked the various bushines and swaybar links. Nothing looked bad. It is a 11yr old truck with many salty winters so its not pristine down there.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:32 AM

I was getting some pretty bad steering wheel shimmy when hitting even the smallest bumps at highway speed, and the majority of my problem turned out the be my front suspension (completely went away when I replaced by front suspension). Not exactly the same thing, but leads me to think it is possible the suspension is your biggest problem.

You seem to have some conflicting desires, between cheap parts for your beater, and wanting to get another 100k miles. Fronts are kind of expensive no matter what. I would want to replace both the springs and the shocks since the springs are probably saggy by now. You should be able to reuse your top hats if they aren't too rusty.
Old 07-13-2011, 05:43 AM

Thanks for the replies. I do have conflicting desires. Like I said the truck is over 10yrs old and I do have a desire for a newer vehicle. However it seems like this truck just keeps going and going. Yes little things like this pop up here and there and i'm able to cheaply fix it and then off it goes again. My last issue was the MAF @ 150k. A $8 bottle of MAF cleaner from the local auto parts store cleared that all up. I guess I'm willing to put a little more into the front end if needed for a quality job.

So new springs shocks/struts all around. I think the top hats look pretty good when I was under there last night. I'll try to get a picture posted up tonight.
Old 07-21-2011, 09:24 AM

Bilsteins are on the way. WOOHOO. I will update once install is completed.
Old 07-30-2011, 06:06 PM

Ok I started the install today and ran into 2 problems. Maybe you guys can help with one of them. The other I just have to trial and error until I get it right.

The fronts were easy to get off. Maybe spent 20mins and we set those aside and came back to them. The rears were a pain. We ended up sawzalling them right about the rubber bushing. It was smokey and stinky but made quick work of removing the rears.

1st problem. The rears Bilsteins have an allen #5 on top and a 19mm nut I think. The mounting location is blind and kind of recessed. What is the best way to tighten down the top? A socket wont work because you can't get the #5 on top to hold it. I'm going to go look for a bent box end ratcheting box end wrench and see if something like that will work unless someone has a better suggestion. I basically can't torque it down at all now. Its just stuck on the nyloc and the shaft spins.

2nd problem. The fronts are kind of difficult to get aligned. I've got to make a visit back to my friends shop tomorrow to use his wall mount spring compressor to adjust it because the lower mount does line up even though I eyeballed them per FSM. Upon test fitting I could not get the lower mount in. Do I need to disconnect the sway bar link to get more travel down? ALSO those who have done this at home with a rental spring compressor I don't know how you did it. I got to the point where I couldn't tighten down the clamps anymore and I still couldn't get enough threads showing on top to tighten assembly down. Maybe I'm a weakling..

Thanks for any help. Looking forward to getting the truck back on the road sometime next week. My radiator arrives on Tuesday which should take care of all the immediate needs of the truck for this summer.

OH do these look right or is the spring perch upside down? the instructions with the shocks weren't very clear. You can see the red marks is how much I have to adjust the shock.

Last edited by smokey0066; 07-30-2011 at 06:32 PM.
Old 08-01-2011, 07:17 PM

ok I redid the front shocks. Buttoned everything up tonight. Test drive was great. zero vibration at all speeds between 60-70mph. truck handles alot better over uneven roads. Doesn't feel overly stiff at all like some have reported.
Old 08-02-2011, 04:59 AM
Banned

Received 19 Likes on 9 Posts
Rear shocks it helps to remove the spare. Use a small rachet and a deep well socket. Use a strap wrench on shock tube to hold.

Front lower shock mount aligns perpendicular to any of top spacer plate bolts.

:wabbit2:
Old 08-02-2011, 06:58 AM

Yup I dropped the spare tire right away. I didn't try the strap wrench although I thought about it. It was just easier to cut. I also had to use the bottle jack to push down on the UCA to get the front shock to go in. I think I read that tip from a few other posters on here.

Since I had the whole truck up i also changed oil in the 2 diffs and xfer case. greased the drive shafts and what not. Radiator comes tomorrow I think. Next weekend will be radiator swap. Funny thing was the oil in the diffs was super clean, almost brand new clean. Seems odd to me what whatever.
Old 08-02-2011, 08:19 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Where did you purchase the blistiens from? Thanks
Old 08-02-2011, 09:00 AM

I bought mine from Tire Rack. I know alot of people here buy from Shock Warehouse but Tire Rack was a few bucks cheaper even with shipping for me. May not be the case for you. Get the part number you need and shop around.
Old 08-02-2011, 10:36 AM

Originally Posted by smokey0066
ok I redid the front shocks. Buttoned everything up tonight. Test drive was great. zero vibration at all speeds between 60-70mph. truck handles alot better over uneven roads. Doesn't feel overly stiff at all like some have reported.
Nice to hear that you had the same problem as me, shocks causing highway vibration. Glad you got it fixed. Doesn't it feel SO good to have your steering tight? It's like a new car.
Old 08-02-2011, 06:09 PM

Originally Posted by Nelsonmd
Nice to hear that you had the same problem as me, shocks causing highway vibration. Glad you got it fixed. Doesn't it feel SO good to have your steering tight? It's like a new car.
Yes the whole truck is just tighter overall. My radiator came today. Once I get that swapped out I'll be back to DD the 4runner..