Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2000 Fuel Gauge Accuracy TSB EL010 and Me

Old 12-19-2003, 08:33 AM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2000 Fuel Gauge Accuracy TSB EL010 and Me

So I bought my 2000 4Runner on Oct 11, 2003, and when my E light first came on and I filled it up, it seemed like something was wrong to me. I didn't know how large my gas tank was because I'd had the '95 before and I assumed they were different, but from E to full only taking 13 Gallons seemed a little suspicious to me.

About a week later my assumptions were confirmed by Bob 98SR5 and he pointed me to Phorunners site and the TSB.

A call to Toyota yielded no result as others have mentioned before as the vehicle was beyond the 36 36,000 warranty.

I'd been very busy at work, but about 2 weeks ago I took the matter up with my dealer and their service dept. They informed me, like several others here, that the TSB was not covered under warranty, nor my extended warranty that I purchased and was quoted to me as being "the same as the 36 36,000 through 100K." They wanted $450 for the repair. I certainly wasn't going to do that and hung up.

A couple days ago I read the 160 Point Certified Used vehicle Quality Assurance Inspection and one line item read "fuel gauge reads correctly." Mine most certainly doesn't, and it was on. I had plenty of free time on my hands today and yesterday and the calling begain.

First I spoke to Michelle in service again. She remembered me from the last time we'd spoke, and informed me that only 2 for 3 of the issues needed to be fixed for my truck and that it wouldn't cost me more than $150. Not saisfied with that, I informed her of the verbage on the 160 point inspection and requested that she see what else she can do. She said I needed to speak with Tony the Used Sales Manager and that he'd get back to me. I left my name and number and waited. About an hour later she called back and said I needed to bring it in and that she'd spoken to Tony and it wouldn't cost more than $150. They didn't seem to be catching my point, but I decided to schedule an appointment and take it in so they could "look at it" as they seemed very concerned with that point.

Agitated, I decided to call Toyota yesterday as well and explain my situation to them though others had failed. I also failed with Toyota, and as friendly as Suzie "with a Z not an S" was in telling me to "F" off basically, she did note that I had called in October regarding the matter, and would put a request for the Customer Service Manager of the dealership in touch with me.

Kenneth called this morning.

Kenneth was a wonderful man, with a Southern draw not often associated with St. Louis he too told me to "F" off in his own special Toyota way. I explained to him about my 160 point point, and his eloquent response was "ok?"

He informed me that I would have to pay the deductible on my warranty and just wasn't seeing eye to eye with me on the fact that they'd sold me a vehicle that passed a 160 point test with only 159 points. I told him "this isn't school, a 99% isn't good enough, only 100% should have passed the vehicle." I explained to him that I shouldn't have to pay a dime, because I'd bought the car based on this warranty, and that as highly rated as they feel their Certified Used line is, it's obviously a pile of beans because "how many more of the other 159 points did you not properly check?" Once again, he said I'd just have to pay the deductable.

So then I kicked into what I refer to as my "dissapointment technique." I used to be a bit of a hot head and I'd call up the customer service lines of companies wanting something, and then swearing at them in the end. Having worked a customer service phone line since in a tech support capacity, I've come to realize that the people on the other end of the line, often can't do a lot for you, and sometimes don't even work directly for the company your angry at. Thus "dissapointment" was born.

"Alot of people really spoke highly of your dealership, and when I'd test driven a vehicle in the past when I was younger, you'd treated me very well even though I ended up not buying the vehicle. So I was pleased when I found a manual 2000 4Runner on your lot as not many late model manuals were made. My wife and I are also looking to buy her a new Toyota as well, but after the treatment that I'm receiving, I can assure you that I will not be purchasing any more vehicles from you, nor would I be recomending you to anyone else in the future."

His response wavering between "my deductable" and "ok"

So I then asked the simple question "what are you going to do for me?" Kenneth's true Toyota Customer Service response "why would I do anything for you if you're not going to bring me any more of your business?"

That was a jaw dropping experience, I informed him that I obviously wasn't going to get anywhere with him and that'd I'd be taking my car in Monday to have it looked at before contacting his boss on the matter regarding just who should pay for these repairs.

Well I'm happy to say Kenneth left me a voicemail with a much different tone in his voice, and upon returning the call, it seems that Kenneth and the General manager had a chat about me, and the GM decided they should make the repair free of charge do to my 159/160 point point. They must have decided that this "a-hole" wasn't going to let this one go and they should just give it to me, and they were right, I have a lot of free time today too : )

Thus, Monday morning my TSB EL010 repairs will be made free of charge to me and my warranty.

Don't let the dealer screw you. You paid a lot of money for your trucks, cars, and they owe it to you to pull through on the claims that they as a dealer and corporation make. They bank on people folding and wanting to avoid conflict. They, however, fold too.
Old 12-19-2003, 08:39 AM
Contributing Member

That was the most enlightening thread I have read all day. Nice work!

I wonder if they would fix my faulty fuel-gauge on my 96?
Old 12-19-2003, 10:33 AM

Nice job, you lucky bastard!

Perhaps you have the time to contact Karl Malone Toyota here in Albuquerque?
Old 12-19-2003, 10:47 AM

what dealership did you contact bobze?
Old 12-19-2003, 12:20 PM

Nice work getting that accomplished. How does your gauge work now?

I had mine done under warranty and now it's skewed too far the other direction. I'm bone dry at empty now with no safety margin for going below empty.

I prefer it the way it was before the fix.
Old 12-19-2003, 12:24 PM
Contributing Member

Well the work gets done Monday so I'll have to let you know how it is.

Thanks for the bone dry tip though, I'll be cautious when I hit E to fill it up.

I been keeping all of my gas receipts numbered with mileage and an "E" when the light was on when I fillled up so I should have a comment sometime next week.

Bill
Old 12-19-2003, 01:08 PM
Contributing Member

You Rock!

I had a similar nightmare experiance where I bought my wife a Corolla to be deliverd. The salesman told us as the paperwork showed it had a In dash 6 disc CD. Car arrived with the trunk mount cd changer. It took 3 months of wining & moaning to corperate, the sales mgr, service mgr & GM, to finally get them to write it off and I still had to pay for the install. Its a draining process. Im glad to see your issue didnt drag out that long.It was a lot more blatent and ugly than I care to recall. I smear those greedy bastards names every chance I get.

"Brown Toyota" Charlottesville VA .Why Brown? Cause they'll poke ya any where they can!
Old 12-19-2003, 01:17 PM

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Bob,

That's great news. As I've said in other threads, the GM is the man to talk with, especially when you encounter problem w/ everyone at the lower levels. Though it seems to be that you have to "go through the process" before the GM takes you seriously.

IMHO, a professionally worded letter to the GM is a good approach to take. Facts and supporting evidence is always important.

Bob
Old 12-22-2003, 11:59 AM
Contributing Member

Just got the call that it's done and ready for pickup. I'm rather enthralled to see my 1/4 of gas appear magically as I dropped it off with the E light on just for them.

Bill
Old 12-22-2003, 12:00 PM
Contributing Member

You think they will put fuel in it for you?
Old 12-22-2003, 12:03 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by <96 Runner>
You think they will put fuel in it for you?
They seemed pretty agitated when I dropped it off this morning. Just getting to use that extra 3 gal before the E light kicks on will be gift enough.
Old 12-22-2003, 10:32 PM

Glad to hear things worked out. My dealer covered it under warrenty when I took it in with no headache at all. I told them about the TSB and they said they would still have to check it out and if it was bad they would make the repairs. They did without any hassles...whew