Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

2.7L ISR/Intake mod interest?

Search this Thread

Old 07-14-2003, 05:50 PM
Contributing Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
2.7L ISR/Intake mod interest?

I've been working on a nice ISR/intake mod for the 3rd gen 2.7L 4Runner. I have a couple prototype designs that seem to be real nice, one is aluminized steel, the other is a composite that has decent heat resistance. They both go from the throttle body to the airbox and would include the necessary hardware to hook up both ends. I'll post pics once we have a final version.

I have two shops that will do the work, one shop for the metal version, and one for the composite. The composite models would be made by my brother, he works at a shop that does hockey sticks for the NHL as well as some stuff for other markets.

I'm still trying to get an exact price nailed down, but if we can get enough interest and orders the price will be cheaper.

This cuts out all the mumbo-jumbo between the two ends and has the correct mounting points for all the stock hoses.

I'm not looking to make a profit off of this, I just figured that if I came up with a nice intake design that others might want it as well.

These could also be made for other vehicles but we would need access to them for beta testing.

My question is:

How many people would be interested in this?

My email is sumdumguy@lazyachers.com or PM me.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:12 PM
Contributing Member

I'll have the steel version on my 4Runner at Pismo for those that are attending.

The composite version will be very close to that design, possibly a couple tweaks to smooth the flow, my brother tells me he can make it flow a bit better than it does now with a little tuning.

I should have some pics up this weekend of the final steel version. The composite one is still a bit ugly.
Old 07-14-2003, 08:17 PM
Contributing Member

what stick company does your bro work for?. can you hook me up with some sticks? i need some new ones
Old 07-14-2003, 08:26 PM
Contributing Member

Heh, the company he works for makes stuff for several different brands. He's one of the lead guys in R&D.

Not sure about the sticks, hafta check after he gets back from Canada this Friday. Dont hold your breath though, not sure if that would work out, they mainly do the blades in-house then ship those to another plant for finishing.

[edit] I dont mean to brag about his skillz or anything, but some of his designs were in the last olympics as well as the current designs used by a lot of the top NHL players.[/edit]

Last edited by SumDumGuy; 07-14-2003 at 08:30 PM.
Old 07-14-2003, 09:05 PM

I'll get one, depending on the price. Sounds like you guys have the fab skills...kool. I assume the vacuum fittings will be on there? Also, since that big ugly square 'tub' in the middle, is a main part of holding the IS secure, what's going to keep this one piece tube from moving all over? I am seriously interested in seeing this and hope the bugs are worked out. Thanks.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:03 AM
JBM

I'd be interested. I am going to try the deckplate mod in the next week or so...my poor liitle 2.7L really struggles.
Old 07-15-2003, 05:40 AM

i, too, am interested. again, what's the difference betweent the 2? also, are they powder-coated black or standard aluminum?
Old 07-24-2003, 12:17 PM
Contributing Member

Sorry I been out of it for a few days, been busy busy.

The composite one is not going to be for sale at the moment, after talking with my brother about production he was saying it really isnt going to be cost effective unless there is a large order. He's been working on mine as a side job, if there is enough interest he'll make a mold, but as it stands now it'd be WAY too expensive to make just a few of them, unless you have a lot of cash and want something that almost nobody else has.

The metal version is looking good, I had planned on some pix by now but as I said things kind of got whacked out. I'm looking to have them powder coated black.

SO, the question is, what is an acceptable price range for you guys?

Like I said before, I'm not planning on making money off this, yet If there's a market for it down the road then maybe, but not right now.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:30 AM

Thanks for the update, thought ya forgot about us. Maybe some before-after dyno numbers would generate interest and boost sales if significant enough. I know Doc Z with his V6 sees improvement. I'd say a price of under $100.00 would be ideal, probably means after costs of materials, you'll be lucky to get min. wage for labor... I do a bit of kustom painting (bikes and guitars) and I'm lucky to make 5 bucks an hour for my labor, but I enjoy doing it and that's kool. Let us know.
Old 07-25-2003, 09:25 AM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by butnut
[B]... Maybe some before-after dyno numbers would generate interest and boost sales if significant enough....I'd say a price of under $100.00 would be ideal/B]
I agree. I have a deckplate mod, and I think it helps. Anything more would be great, as all 2.7L owners know!! Also, some comments on the noise difference before and after. I wouldn't want my truck to sound like a coffee-can exhaust ricer afterwards, I've heard the 2.7's can when they get modified.
Old 07-25-2003, 11:52 AM
Contributing Member

I'll see if I can get a local shop to run some dyno tests for me.

So far the intake noise is a bit louder but not annoyingly so, I have a magnaflow on mine and while it *almost* sounds ricey it isnt obnoxious. Hopefuly this weekend I'll get back to the shop and have the final version of the metal one done and post some pics and such.
Old 07-25-2003, 12:33 PM
Contributing Member

Originally posted by SumDumGuy
...I have a magnaflow on mine ...
Sweet, I'll check back often. so how do you like your exhaust and headers? Those are on my wish list, along with an ARB bumper...
Old 07-25-2003, 01:10 PM
Contributing Member

All in all I like the combo a lot, earlier I had my wife take it to work with her at the end of her lunch hour just so I could hear what it sounds like at full throttle as it goes down the road, I don’t get to hear what others hear when I'm doing driving.

It has a nice tone to it, nothing obnoxious. The intake pipe with the deckplate mod (or elbow removal at the very least) gives a nice aggressive tone that (to me anyway) isn’t obnoxiously ricey.

Last edited by SumDumGuy; 07-25-2003 at 01:11 PM.
Old 08-01-2003, 09:26 AM
Contributing Member

BUMP

bump, is this thing still alive??!!
Old 10-06-2004, 06:42 PM
Contributing Member

Bump good read im dying to see pics!
Old 10-06-2004, 07:56 PM

Double bump! Pics! If its not that expensive I'd be in. Also if your looking to get more 2.7/2.4s involved head over to www.customtacos.com Tons of of 2/3rz over there.
Old 10-06-2004, 08:05 PM

if you can make it sweet then i would pay what its worth.

keep in mind, i think you need some kind of flex in the fixture, because the engine does torque a few degrees with throttle. thats why the rubber hose elbow in the stock intake pipe. thats also why some of the aftermarket products dont cut it, like the K&N FIPK.

PICS!
Old 10-06-2004, 11:04 PM
Contributing Member

i got isr kits in the classified hehe.. sorry to hijack
Old 08-30-2008, 11:58 AM

Bumping this thread to inquire about write-ups and/or available parts (such as the kit mentioned here) for doing the ISR mod on the 3RZ-FE 2.7L engine.

Any help will be greatly appreciated!!
Old 08-30-2008, 05:12 PM

Would also be interested in seeing the kit