Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1st post, truck is dead

Search this Thread

Old 06-29-2003, 05:21 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
1st post, truck is dead

ok, so I've been reading this and 4x4 wire for a few months now, just kinda hanging around since I picked up my 91 4 runner (3.0, w/auto, 155k) back in October. I had an 86 4x4 back in the day that I loved, but have been into German cars more recently. Pretty good with a wrench, but been out of the truck thing for a while...

So, yesterday, I pile the dog in the truck with some lunch and start heading up over the pass. Checked all the fluids before we left, everything is cool. Get up over the pass (about 45-50 miles from home) and I notice my oil pressure gauge is not registering. As there is a semi on my butt, I hit the hazards, and shut the car off putting it in nuetral, coast onto the shoulder. Check the oil level, its fine. No smoke or anything crazy, remove oil cap, some heat, fine smoke comes out of here. I notice it looks pretty dry in there. Def not a good thing. But not charred by any means.

Truck turns over, but will not start. Period. Turns over, but won't fire. Plenty of juice, almost seems fuel related. I disconnected the battery, let it sit, tried again. No dice. Has over 3/4 tank of gas too.

Any/all suggestions GREATLY appreciated as I am looking at a hefty tow bill at this point. Truck is just past Hyak for you local guys. There will be many beers/dinner/whatever for any assistance/tips offered locally!

Thanks a heck of a lot in advance!
Old 06-29-2003, 07:57 AM
Contributing Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Are the cams turning while you crank? (posbl timing belt)
Are the plugs getting wet from fuel?
Does it have spark?
Has the fuel filter been changed (ever?)

The oil pressure puzzles/worries me. Any indications of oil problems before this?

Sending you a PM with my phone #. I am in north bend.
Old 06-29-2003, 12:45 PM

If you have oil in the pan and none is getting up to the cam, and no oil pressure than you may want to check your oil pump, it wouldn't explain not starting but would explain the gauge and dry top end, also I'm not sure if the oil pump is driven by the timing belt in the 3.0 v6 but someone here should know and if it is that would explain your problem.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:32 PM

thanks for the feedback. I'm thinking its the oil pump. The hard part is, I did not have my toolbox with me, so at this point its just from looking at it yesterday. I am going to go up tomorrow with some stuff and will be getting it towed somewhere. I am REALLY hoping, I can get it towed somewhere closer at least as a temp solution as a tow bill to Edmonds from Hyak is gonna be HEFTY. That or if anyone knows a good shop closer to the pass. Anyone point me to a link for oil pump replacement? I did a quick search and came up dry.

Thanks again!
Dave
ps David, I left you a voicemail.
Old 06-29-2003, 03:56 PM
Contributing Member

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts
Can't help with your problem but you might consider getting AAA. If your vehicle breaks down again it won't cost you a dime.

By the way, welcome to Yotatech.

Last edited by Paul H.; 06-29-2003 at 03:57 PM.