Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1st Gen's : Where's your 33" spare?????

Search this Thread

Old 07-08-2004, 07:10 AM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1st Gen's : Where's your 33" spare?????

This is a question to all of my 1st gen buddies with lift and at least 33" tires. WHERE THE HECK DO YOU FIT YOUR SPARE?

I'm only running 33X10.50's so my width isn't too much of an issue, but I don't think a 33 will fit in the original spare location without hitting the exhaust. I know all the 2nd-4th genners can get swing out racks, but I personally don't think they look good when the top is off. Mounting it insid ethe cab kinda sucks cause I'll lose my precious cargo area.

I thought about getting or making a mount to fit in a reciever hitch so that I could at least hook it up back there for the trail runs I make. But that hardly seems like a final solution. Does anyone make such a device???

If someone has a site with rear bumpers that would be able to do this, or mount a spare another way, please post.

I mainly just want ideas of how you 1st genners do all this. Thanks -Seth
Old 07-08-2004, 08:03 AM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
i have a yakima load warrior basket with the load warrier extenstion. i have put my (31') tire up there sometimes, but i usually just leave it underneath the truck. when i do upgrade tire size, i'll keep the tire up there. it is possible to mount the basket so that it's only attached to the rain gutters on the front of the truck so you can still take the roof off. i haven't done that because i don't have a place to store my roof if i take it off.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:40 AM

Location: 100 miles offshore as much as possible, & Springfield Oregon USA
ON my 85 4R I rerouted my exhaust and *barely* squeezed a 33 in there. I had to add a couple of simple brackets to keep it centered and not hitting the shackles. It just fit between the shackles and between the load proportioning valve arm and the receiver hitch... I turned the exhaust outward over the spring very close to the axle and then back and out the side - so that it didn't come too close to the tire. I put a small heat shield on the pipe near the tire just in case.

On my 90, I'm running 35s... So I'm gonna do the exhaust pipe reroute and leave a 33 under the bed so at least I always have something, and toss a spare 35 (or two) in the bed and strap it down on wheelin trips.

I 20 years of 4wheelin I can only remember needing a spare twice, but both times it was absolutely unlikely to get any outside help so I'm glad I had the spare. The first time I tore out a rear tire sidewall in a blizzard on a mountain trail and only had the stock spare. So I changed the tire and got down off the mountain, then had to swap it to the front for the long drive home. Coooold and not fun. That's when I rerouted the pipe and put a 33 on. The second time I was on a narrow bouldery cliffside trail (and again ripped out a sidewall) and had no choice but to drive another few hundred yards to a place where I could change the tire safely - and ruined a nice aluminum wheel.
Old 07-08-2004, 08:57 AM
Contributing Member

I'm running 34's so I know it won't fit underneath, plus I wouldn't want it there. I'm looking at relocating the gas tank to the cargo area to clean up the space underneath, which will mean building an enclosure for the tank. I'll probably build in some sort of carrier for the spare on that, and link it to the rollbar. I don't think the top will ever go back on mine, I don't have a rear window and the tailgate doesn't open so it would be too much money to fix all that. Guess this probably doesn't help you with ideas. Bumper mount is probably the best option.
Old 07-08-2004, 09:19 AM
Contributing Member

I'm contracting a local fabricator to build a bumper for me with a swing away carrier. Currently I'm runing 31's but I'm having him build it to withstand 33's and include room for my hi-lift and maybe fuel cans.. I found some with the google image search but the price was way out there..
Mike