Notices
95.5-2004 Tacomas & 96-2002 4Runners 4th gen pickups and 3rd gen 4Runners

1999 4runner Transmission/t-case compatibility

Search this Thread

Old 12-20-2007, 06:28 PM

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
1999 4runner Transmission/t-case compatibility

I am thinking about picking up a 1999 Highlander edition, it is an automatic 4x4. Something seized in the t-case on the highway and cracked the tranny case or bellhousing (I haven't seen it yet so I am just going off what I have been told on the phone). What years tranmissions and transfer cases will be a direct swap with this vehicle? I assume anything 1996-2000 but I am not sure, did they have the push-button t-case in this model (like the limiteds) or were they completely lever shifted?
Old 12-20-2007, 07:29 PM

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Originally Posted by justinh
I am thinking about picking up a 1999 Highlander edition, it is an automatic 4x4. Something seized in the t-case on the highway and cracked the tranny case or bellhousing (I haven't seen it yet so I am just going off what I have been told on the phone). What years tranmissions and transfer cases will be a direct swap with this vehicle? I assume anything 1996-2000 but I am not sure, did they have the push-button t-case in this model (like the limiteds) or were they completely lever shifted?
96-00 chain driven j shifter case will work fine. can find them for 150 at a junkyard without a problem.
Old 12-20-2007, 07:56 PM

Originally Posted by sportlocked
96-00 chain driven j shifter case will work fine. can find them for 150 at a junkyard without a problem.
Is that what yours has? It isn't the partial electrical partial shift transfer case on the autotranny ones? It really isn't a big deal I guess, I will know exactly what it had on Saturday when I go look at it.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:32 PM
Donny, you're out of your element
Staff

Received 54 Likes on 34 Posts
Where did you get this info?

You shift from 4HI to N to 4LO. then pushing the button in 4HI will make it 2HI

IIRC, 99+ trannys will work. And if it has a locker, you will need a limited/locker style case.

Be sure to match up style to style.

btw this is for autos only. The MT 4runners have the J style pattern.
Old 12-20-2007, 09:54 PM

Originally Posted by DeathCougar
Where did you get this info?

You shift from 4HI to N to 4LO. then pushing the button in 4HI will make it 2HI

IIRC, 99+ trannys will work. And if it has a locker, you will need a limited/locker style case.

Be sure to match up style to style.

btw this is for autos only. The MT 4runners have the J style pattern.
i have a J shifter dude, the push button up down shifter are only for 99-00 limiteds and 01-02 4runners.

trust me, i do know what im talking about.

Last edited by sportlocked; 12-20-2007 at 09:55 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:18 AM
Contributing Member

the transfer case of the 99+ 4Runners are different from the 96-98 4Runners. The '99+ have the multi-mode 4WD option and these transfer cases are longer than the 96-98. I don't know what year was the multi-mode 4WD option offered in NorthAm.

Also there were differences in the multi-mode 4WD option. some have the J-shape transfer lever shift mode while others have the straight line with a separate switch for the center diff lock.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:27 AM

Originally Posted by KZN185W
the transfer case of the 99+ 4Runners are different from the 96-98 4Runners. The '99+ have the multi-mode 4WD option and these transfer cases are longer than the 96-98. I don't know what year was the multi-mode 4WD option offered in NorthAm.

Also there were differences in the multi-mode 4WD option. some have the J-shape transfer lever shift mode while others have the straight line with a separate switch for the center diff lock.
again more misinformation. please do not give your information out again.

a multimode transfercase allows for a 60/40 split of awd option while driving in bad weather conditions, the center diff lock was only offered in 01/02 models,

the 99 sr5 and highlander models, and 00 sr5 and highlander models have a damn chain driven transfercase.

stop giving misinformation out.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:43 AM
Staff

again more misinformation. please do not give your information out again.

a multimode transfercase allows for a 60/40 split of awd option while driving in bad weather conditions, the center diff lock was only offered in 01/02 models,

the 99 sr5 and highlander models, and 00 sr5 and highlander models have a damn chain driven transfercase.

stop giving misinformation out.
Speaking of misinfo...

The non-J pattern was not just in 99+ models. I just handled a 96 and 98 4Runner, both of which were non-J pattern shifting and had a buttono for 4wd.

BTW the limited cases are different from the non-lmited as well. They have a tcase motor on the back, which I assume is for the push button 4WD.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:46 AM

Speaking of misinfo...

The non-J pattern was not just in 99+ models. I just handled a 96 and 98 4Runner, both of which were non-J pattern shifting and had a buttono for 4wd.

BTW the limited cases are different from the non-lmited as well. They have a tcase motor on the back, which I assume is for the push button 4WD.
i dont know anything about a 96-98 limited

but those tcases i know were not multimode even if they were pushbutton

we arent talking about a 96-98 limited or a limited period.

a highlander is not a limited

he needs a j shifting chain driven case... period, end of story.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:51 AM
Contributing Member

the center diff lock was only offered in 01/02 models,
Well had you not gone off on them i would not go off on you.

You are giving misinformation too. I have an 00 and i have a center diff-lock. Explain that.

"First take the log out of thy own eye before trying to pick a spec out of thy borthers"

Speaking of misinfo...

OK, i have an 00 limited and i have the J shifter with the 4WD on the fly button. it starts on the top-left where the button decideds 2wd or 4wd. you then move it down to engage the center difflock. Then to the right then up for neutral. Then with the tranny in neutral you push it all the way up on the right for 4lo.

As for what case fit what year i don't have a clue. i just know what i got.

Last edited by Texas_Ace; 12-21-2007 at 06:52 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 06:55 AM

Originally Posted by Texas_Ace
Well had you not gone off on them i would not go off on you.

You are giving misinformation too. I have an 00 and i have a center diff-lock. Explain that.

"First take the log out of thy own eye before trying to pick a spec out of thy borthers"

OK, i have an 00 limited and i have the J shifter with the 4WD on the fly button. it starts on the top-left where the button decideds 2wd or 4wd. you then move it down to engage the center difflock. Then to the right then up for neutral. Then with the tranny in neutral you push it all the way up on the right for 4lo.

As for what case fit what year i don't have a clue. i just know what i got.
oh man i wanna see a picture of this.

you are full of ####
Old 12-21-2007, 07:06 AM

again you didnt get what i was talking about, yes multimode cases have a center diff

can you engage it by button? noo only 01-02 have this (center diff button, not 4wd, so dont blast that one away like you have already)

is yours a true j shifter? thats for you to decide, but i mean j shifter from h2, to h4, not h2..h4 push button then h4L

i just looked at your pictures, a true j shift is hooked to the left in 4wd, then comes down for 4hi slighty down and right, then you go around the syncromesh for n and 4lo.

stop messing with this thread, all he needs to freakin know is that he needs a chain driven j shifter case.

yall can badger me all you want, but give this damn guy his information and stop badgering me in his thread.

Last edited by sportlocked; 12-21-2007 at 07:21 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 07:16 AM
Contributing Member

Let do a little clarity here. Keep in mind also these are only auto transmissions

96-00 in the NON-LIMITED models had the J shift pattern pictured below:

ONLY the 99-00 LIMITED runners had the push-button j pattern shifter like so:

Now as for the straight shift push button shifterpictured below:

yes on the 96-98 LIMITED models it was offered but it did not engage AWD, it directly engaged 4wd so when you pressed the button, the t-case automatically LOCKED itself into 4wd.

HOWEVER, on the 01-02 Runners, this straight shift push button t-case was offered on ALL models and when you pressed the button engaged AWD, to get true 4WD you had to press a button on the dash like so to engage 4WD:

So since justinh Has a 99 HIGHLANDER edition, and J-Shift T-case from 96-00 will work.

Need anymore clarification, ask me, I have had the pleasure to drive all models, I currently have a 97' SR5 and 02' Sport Edition, and I have driven friends who have had the Limited editions of both years as well as the limited edition and highlander edition of the 99&00.

And to you who are doubtful that I have the 97 and the 02 here is the pick of them in my driveway,

Last edited by YotaFun; 12-21-2007 at 07:27 AM.
Old 12-21-2007, 08:35 AM
Staff

SO long story short, everyone is correct in their own right.

Just match case for case when you go to get a new one. Make sure if yours had the motor on the back of the tcase, the new one has it too.

My computer interchange (direct from Toyota) shows 99-00 for SR5, and 99-00 on the limiteds. A highlander is considered an SR5, IIRC? But if it is locked up, you may need the limited case.

The rear driveline shws to be the same length for all 96-98 AT, all 96-00 MT, and 99-00 AT SR5 only. So length wont be an issue if you go with a case from 96-00 SR5 AT.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:19 PM

Thank you.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:41 PM

chain driven case, locker or no locker.

tacoma transfer cases will work as well, just a side note

Last edited by sportlocked; 12-21-2007 at 12:43 PM.
Old 12-21-2007, 12:43 PM
Staff

Of course its a chain drive case.

But 96-98 limited transfer cases have a motor on the back, presumably for 4wd engagement. I think all 99+ auto cases have that motor on it as well.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:01 PM
Contributing Member

But 96-98 limited transfer cases have a motor on the back, presumably for 4wd engagement. I think all 99+ auto cases have that motor on it as well.
96-98 limiteds have the motors yes
Only the 99&00 Limiteds have the motor cause its the only one with the push button, not all 99&00 have the motor.
now all the 01&02 do have the motor.
Old 12-21-2007, 01:07 PM

yes i know, but we are not talking about a push button case anymore, why do you keep talking about a motor?
Old 12-21-2007, 03:19 PM
Staff

yes i know, but we are not talking about a push button case anymore, why do you keep talking about a motor?
Was the question ever answered if he had push button or not? thats why. If he has push button (some highlander editions did) then he will need the "Limited" style case with the motor.

So if his has push button, and he follows YOUR advice, he will get the wrong trans. THAT is why! And if his is not J-pattern like yours, and he gets a J-pattern, it will be the WRONG TRANSFER CASE. That is why.

We KNOW they are chain drive. All toyota transfer cases from 96+ are chain drive. EVERY LAST ONE OF THEM in EVERY MODEL in the USA.

Quick Reply: 1999 4runner Transmission/t-case compatibility